Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 2:06 pm

Supreme Court’s Gorsuch refused to wear mask despite request over Sotomayor’s Covid concerns, report says

Quote:
Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch has refused to wear a mask during in-person proceedings, despite a request from Chief Justice John Roberts for all members of the high court to accommodate Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s concerns about Covid-19, according to a new report Tuesday.

Gorsuch’s continued defiance has led Sotomayor — who has diabetes and is therefore at a higher risk of serious illness from Covid — to attend oral arguments remotely, according to veteran NPR Supreme Court reporter Nina Totenberg, citing court sources.

Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch has refused to wear a mask during in-person proceedings, despite a request from Chief Justice John Roberts for all members of the high court to accommodate Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s concerns about Covid-19, according to a new report Tuesday.

Gorsuch’s continued defiance has led Sotomayor — who has diabetes and is therefore at a higher risk of serious illness from Covid — to attend oral arguments remotely, according to veteran NPR Supreme Court reporter Nina Totenberg, citing court sources.

All nine justices have been vaccinated and received boosters for Covid.

Gorsuch sits next to Sotomayor on the bench. He has also refused to wear a mask during the justices’ weekly conferences, leading the 67-year-old Sotomayor to attend by telephone.

Last week, Gorsuch was the only justice in the courtroom not to wear a mask during oral arguments, while Sotomayor and Justice Stephen Breyer both appeared remotely. Breyer, at 83 the oldest member of the court, stayed out of the courtroom after a spokesperson said he received the results of a Covid test that was later determined to be a false positive.

Roberts “in some form” then asked the other justices to wear masks, Totenberg reported. Gorsuch, one of three justices nominated by former President Donald Trump, was the only one to refuse.

The court did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on NPR’s report. All nine justices have been vaccinated and received boosters for Covid.

Gorsuch sits next to Sotomayor on the bench. He has also refused to wear a mask during the justices’ weekly conferences, leading the 67-year-old Sotomayor to attend by telephone.

Last week, Gorsuch was the only justice in the courtroom not to wear a mask during oral arguments, while Sotomayor and Justice Stephen Breyer both appeared remotely. Breyer, at 83 the oldest member of the court, stayed out of the courtroom after a spokesperson said he received the results of a Covid test that was later determined to be a false positive.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 9:37 pm

Maybe he just doesn't like her, IIRC she's lit him up a few times in her dissents.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm

She is still pissed the media called her out for the misinformation she produced during vax mandate orals.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:45 pm

Oh look, it appears the story was fake:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/justice-s ... te-report/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 6:47 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Oh look, it appears the story was fake:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/justice-s ... te-report/

I apologize for posting it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 4:25 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

No worries, happens to the best of us these days with all the fake stories flying around.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 8:18 am

Dox47 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

No worries, happens to the best of us these days with all the fake stories flying around.

Indeed.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 8:20 pm

So, the reporter is sticking by her story even with Gorsuch, Sotormayor, and Roberts all on the record saying she had it wrong...

https://www.mediaite.com/news/nprs-nina ... she-wants/

The conspiracy theories being spun on Twitter are even wilder, this is like the people refusing to admit they got Covington Catholic wrong after the full video came out, just throwing their credibility away on sheer stubbornness.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 8:33 pm

Nina is too funny. I used to like her.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

I read the story and can't help but think this whole thing seems to turn on questions of precise wording, and the possibility of someone either misspeaking or being misunderstood. Precise wording is everything in the law, but less so in journalism.

The moment Sotormayor said everything was good between her and Gorsuch, the whole thing should have ended. If she is the theoretically harmed, then she be allowed to control the story. It isn't like Gorsuch has more power than her, leaving wondering if she'd fear to speak her truth. To have any conversation continue after that seems so ... trivial.

Mask disputes and vaccination disputes are a part of everyday life now, and I've had to work through my own with my employer and my office mate. We figured it out. It isn't exactly the way I would want it, I am much more cautious than almost anyone I know, but I handled the situation, got compromises, and am content that the people I work with and for aren't being intentionally cavalier with my life and my health. I hold enough power that I don't need anyone else questioning my choices and decisions. I relate to this story, and suspect Justice Sotormayor feels the same as I do. But geez I still get pushed on it by my family and friends, and I guess since my immediate family is my household they have a vested interest (if I'm exposed, they are), but everyone else can stay the *(^*&(* out of it. Some of us don't want other people trying to champion our side, which is what I suspect Nina thinks she is doing. Respect the decisions made among colleagues.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 3:16 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I read the story and can't help but think this whole thing seems to turn on questions of precise wording, and the possibility of someone either misspeaking or being misunderstood. Precise wording is everything in the law, but less so in journalism.

How much precision do you need when all three principals of the story are on the record saying it didn't happen that way? Getting it wrong initially is one thing, it's the doubling down that kills me.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:23 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

How much precision do you need when all three principals of the story are on the record saying it didn't happen that way? Getting it wrong initially is one thing, it's the doubling down that kills me.

It felt to me like it all turns on similar words with clearly different meanings. Not sure if someone misspoke or she wrote it down wrong. Maybe I should pull up the article again ... BUT, I agree with you, weird to double down when 3 people quoted say it wasn't quite that way.

Also ... I'm appalled at how many words dropped in my post. I proof my posts, I swear, but they always read back to me as if the missing words are there. Uuuuggghhhh.