A project toward identifying meaningful subgroups of autism.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2022, 8:42 pm

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnins.2021.786220/full

Quote:
One of the most universally accepted facts about autism is that it is heterogenous. Individuals diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder have a wide range of behavioral presentations and a variety of co-occurring medical and mental health conditions. The identification of more homogenous subgroups is likely to lead to a better understanding of etiologies as well as more targeted interventions and treatments. In 2006, we initiated the UC Davis MIND Institute Autism Phenome Project (APP) with the overarching goal of identifying clinically meaningful subtypes of autism. This ongoing longitudinal multidisciplinary study now includes over 400 children and involves comprehensive medical, behavioral, and neuroimaging assessments from early childhood through adolescence (2–19 years of age). We have employed several strategies to identify sub-populations within autistic individuals: subgrouping by neural, biological, behavioral or clinical characteristics as well as by developmental trajectories. In this Mini Review, we summarize findings to date from the APP cohort and describe progress made toward identifying meaningful subgroups of autism.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:32 am

gee, and we have been thinking autism type 1, 2,3 alone is labeling. Wait'll they get done with this one, they'll have at least a hundred sub groups!! ! (cynical and metaphorical speculation)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:33 am

thanks for posting that link!! !

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 8:51 am

autisticelders wrote:
gee, and we have been thinking autism type 1, 2,3 alone is labeling. Wait'll they get done with this one, they'll have at least a hundred sub groups!! ! (cynical and metaphorical speculation)

I wonder if they dropped the Asperger's due to the man's history. I don't see changing the labels as productive and just more confusion when the final numbers of sub groups are defined, it will need a road map to discuss.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 2:58 pm

"...subgrouping efforts may guide clinical care by influencing selection of interventions or access to services and supports" There are those that differentiate to help and those that differentiate to abuse or neglect. All ways. :|

My BFF and I are both ASD but manifest it very differently. (I'm more often hypersensitive and in meltdown, she's more often hyposensitive and in chronic avoidance or shutdown.) I would benefit from auditory processing and executive function aids, she would benefit from... some type of integration therapy? I have it on my list to do the auditory evaluation, but you know, time, money... anxiety. I'm too nervous about doing everything to do anything (Autistic burn out?). What group is that? This individual is extremely capable and completely dysfunctional.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:52 pm

This is a necessary project. I just hope it is done in a reasonably accurate way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 10:20 pm

Learning profiles, social motivation vs behaviors/abilities, etc... Compared to profiles of comorbidities...
I can just speculate or imagine.

It better be than just cheap insurance bad, expensive insurance worse and more expensive insurances worser

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 7:01 am

once labeled, locked into certain courses of treatments or individual care plans, how often reassessed? How often mislabeled? How often misdefined because of other parameters not used in the so called guidelines of classification. Impossible shotgun trajectories certain to apply, hope it never gets treated as serious "medicine" the parameters would need to apply to NT folk too, test results might finally indicate if you have seen one human you have seen one human and each of us is different.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 7:31 am

txfz1 wrote:
autisticelders wrote:

I wonder if they dropped the Asperger's due to the man's history. I don't see changing the labels as productive and just more confusion when the final numbers of sub groups are defined, it will need a road map to discuss.

It was not dropped because of his history. That is a common misconception. There was some suspicion about his history when the diagnosis was put in back in the early 90s but there was no proof. By the time the diagnosis was taken out in 2013 he was considered a hero who had surreptitiously saved Autistics. It was taken out because it was being inconsistently diagnosed and mainly because it was thought to be over diagnosed, too many as*holes being pathogized :skull:.

The proof of Hans Asperger’s Nazi complicity would come a few years later.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2022, 10:25 am

If nothing else, an informal effort to come up with some amusing, "colorful" names for arbitrarily-defined autism subgroups might be a fun pursuit. To avoid offense, I'd suggest restricting this effort to coming up with names for a subgroup that could be defined as narrowly as "just me"...

Darron