People misunderstanding social difficulties

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
A bunch of replies here along the lines of I can mask effectively enough. What that means is that you outwardly do not have social difficulties. If out of mental exhaustion your non social time is impaired you are having social difficulties just not outwardly, as least for the time being.

What do you mean by "non social time"?

When you are not engaging in social activities at work, with friends etc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:18 pm

People rarely express negative emotions openly here, so I don't get any verbal hints when I overstep any lines or come across as rude due to my autism. I can play the foreigner get-out-of-jail-free card in cases of misunderstanding, too.

I have lost contact with all my friends and acquaintances from my old culture, and I'm sure a lot of those lost contacts were caused by others interpreting social exhaustion on my part as disinterest in them, which I'm sure was perceived as rude. Part of the problem is also the fact that I struggle with schizophrenic illness, which doesn't exactly elevate social skills to stellar heights.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:55 pm

i wonder how many other aspies besides me struggle with comorbid AS and schizoid-type disorders.