Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 1:49 pm

How did you go about deciding on what username to use? I ask because there is a LOT of imagination behind them - except for mine. I go blank with this sort of stuff.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:10 pm

Well, yours is more creative than mine, at least. Mine’s just my two main interests at the time I joined.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:20 pm

It just came to me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:34 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
How did you go about deciding on what username to use?  I ask because there is a LOT of imagination behind them -- except for mine.  I go blank with this sort of stuff.
I read the Illuminatis Trilogy back in the 1980s, and decided that I would be the fnord of this website.

The nonsense word "fnord", invented by the writers of Principia Discordia, is given a specific and sinister meaning in the trilogy.  It is a subliminal message technique, a word that the majority of the population since early childhood has been trained to ignore (and trained to forget both the training and that they are ignoring it), but which they associate with a vague sense of unease.  Upon seeing the word, readers experience a panic reaction.  They then subconsciously suppress all memories of having seen the word, but the sense of panic remains.  They therefore associate the unease with the news story they are reading.  Fnords are scattered liberally in the text of newspapers and magazines, causing fear and anxiety in those following current events.  However, there are no fnords in the advertisements, thus encouraging a consumerist society.  Fnord magazine equated the fnords with a generalized effort to control and brainwash the populace.  To "see the fnords" would imply an attempt to wrestle back individual autonomy, similar to the idea of reading between the lines, especially since the word fnord was actually said to appear between regular lines of text.

The word makes its first appearance in The Illuminatus! Trilogy without any explanation during an acid trip by Dr. Ignotum Per Ignotius and Joe Malik.  Several other unexplained appearances follow.  Only much later in the story is the secret revealed, when Malik is hypnotized by Hagbard Celine to recall suppressed memories of his first-grade teacher conditioning his class to ignore the fnords: "If you do not see the fnord it cannot eat you, do not see the fnord, do not see the fnord . . ."

:twisted:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:00 pm

There a number of members who had some classic names. Two of my favs were "Abyssquick", and "HistoryofPsychiatry". Couple of others I have forgotten. Sadly the members with those names didnt last long as active members. Another fav name was "Elbow Grease". How can you not like a dude who calls himself "elbow grease"? He was active for a stint, but not lately.

I got my name from reading an article in the Smithsonian Magazine about amber -the resin that comes out of trees, and traps bugs, and sometimes preserves the bugs for millions of years.

The article described amber as being a kind of "natural plastic, even though that sounds like an oxymoron" because it chemically similar to manmade plastics. Something about the phrase stuck in my head...thought to myself "what a great name for music band...Jazz-rock fusion maybe...or ... a sexy male R+B vocal group (Like BoyzIIMen, or Souf4Real)...sumpin...just sounds cool".

So it was in the back of my head when I need to think of a WP name.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:04 pm

I have an aboriginal name
Which I hate.
Raleigh is how part of my name sounds.
And how people have referred to me for years.
If they don't want to be bashed over the head. :rambo:

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:08 pm

My username is just based off of the main character from The Legend of Zelda series, which is my special interest. He's the "hero of Hyrule". lol

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:09 pm

Isabella Linton is a character from Wuthering Heights, who starts life as a privileged and naive girl. She's a hopeless romantic who is conned and manipulated into an extremely violent relationship because of her money. Isabella escapes her captor by self-defence and raises her infant son in exile as a single mother. Her written testimony informs the narrative about domestic violence and sexual assault, as well the laws of coverture in Victorian England.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Isabella Linton is a character from Wuthering Heights, who starts life as a privileged and naive girl. She's a hopeless romantic who is conned and manipulated into an extremely violent relationship because of her money. Isabella escapes her captor by self-defence and raises her infant son in exile as a single mother. Her written testimony informs the narrative about domestic violence and sexual assault, as well the laws of coverture in Victorian England.
Not autobiographical for you, I hope!

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:25 pm

The prisoner is a British 60's tv show I was watching at the time. It deals with man who finds him self in a bizzare village he trys to escape, very existential, it has a cult status. It's quite trippy.

Also Platos allegory of the cave The chained Prisoners, who are enchanted by the shadows on the wall, and escape to the realms of light yada yada yada. You probably know the story. Also it's just a generic archetype , You can derive a multitude of interpretations, It's that malleable.

Seeing as it gives off such a nihilistic vibe, I should of maybe picked something more optimistic and cheery.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm

theprisoner wrote:
The prisoner is a British 60's tv show I was watching at the time. It deals with man who finds him self in a bizzare village he trys to escape, very existential, it has a cult status. It's quite trippy.
The opening theme still gives me chills . . .

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:28 pm

My favorite band is The High Llamas.

Quote:
How did you go about deciding on what username to use? I ask because there is a LOT of imagination behind them - except for mine. I go blank with this sort of stuff.

I do too.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:35 pm

My username is a partial anagram of my actual name. I think that if I were joining WP today, I'd choose a different username.

Two of my favourite names of past members are TyroneShoelaces and AspieForTheLord. I also just noticed an 'AntibioticWoman' in the members list.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:54 pm

Mine comes from two things. Flea is from a handle I used on a game I would play. I chose that there because I had the nasty habit of showing up out of nowhere at the last second and winning tournaments. I figured the other players regarded me as an annoying little pest, so I figured Flea would be a good name for myself there. 'Of the Chill' comes from a childhood friend. He took to calling me Chill at one point, saying something about how if I were any more mellow, I'd be dead. People called me Chill for years because of him. I don't know that I agreed with his assessment, but I found it funny.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:01 pm

DeepHour wrote:
My username is a partial anagram of my actual name.

Your name is .... Pedro?

No..wait... that leaves...Hue, Hugh? Are you Hugh? Hugh Pedro? are you Pedro Hugh?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:03 pm

Hugh are you trying to kid?!

:lol: