Controversial and/or Unpopular, Personal/Political opinions

Page 29 of 31 [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:33 pm

Mainland China is acting like an abusive and narcissistic ex-husband toward the sovereign country of Taiwan.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:54 pm

Loud, ignorant people might voice their opinions often and aggressively but it doesn't make their opinions any more valid.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 10:16 am

With the decline of the proportion of labor remuneration in GDP and the rise of the cost of childbirth, upbringing and education, childbirth may have lost or will soon lose the significance of labor reproduction.

Assuming that the growth of fertility costs is faster than the growth of labor remuneration, these two curves will surely meet at a certain point in time. Labor reproduction, a natural assumption in economics, may become a false proposition.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2022, 10:21 am

^ I find it a likely contribution to an observed phenomenon of people in developed countries giving birth to less children.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:11 am

^ Hum.
not only developed countries.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:13 am

Most "developed" countries have relatively low birth rates

Most "developing" countries have relatively high birth rates.

But both are not absolutes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2022, 11:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most "developed" countries have relatively low birth rates

Most "developing" countries have relatively high birth rates.

But both are not absolutes.

Taking an example of Mexico - the level of development for the effect of low birth rate is lower than the level of development required to be considered "developed state".
It's just the level where you can take for granted mere survival of your kids (of course up to relatively rare accidents and rare diseases) and have to consider competitive environment they will enter in adulthood as the most important challenge to your lineage.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

Even the US had high birth rates because of high infant mortality and the anticipation of death from common diseases in childhood or early adulthood.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2022, 2:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Even the US had high birth rates because of high infant mortality and the anticipation of death from common diseases in childhood or early adulthood.
And 70 years ago people in Poland reproduced like crazy because a war that killed 1/3 population just ended and another one was expected soon (it didn't happen but it was a common expectation here back then).

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 2:34 pm

magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
And 70 years ago people in Poland reproduced like crazy because a war that killed 1/3 population just ended and another one was expected soon (it didn't happen but it was a common expectation here back then).

At that time, would people spontaneously have more children to cope with the future population crisis?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 2:41 pm

Families felt that they needed as many children in order to help them work their farms.

In the pre-antibiotic era----and especially during the pre-germ theory era--it was common for children of all ages to die of diseases. So it was felt that those who died had to be replaced.

Death was so taken for granted in the 19th century that families would take pictures of deceased children right after they died, and keep them in their family albums.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2022, 2:44 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
At that time, would people spontaneously have more children to cope with the future population crisis?
Yes. They wanted their families and the nation to survive.
The baby boom was commonly called "making up for the losses".

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 12:07 am

I think that marriage should be between a man and a woman and a man and a woman only.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 12:19 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that marriage should be between a man and a woman and a man and a woman only.

Interesting that you, a transgender person, would have that opinion.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 2:12 pm

While the western world is obsessed with China, India is quietly preparing to become the next "global public enemy".

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Aug 2022, 2:37 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
While the western world is obsessed with China, India is quietly preparing to become the next "global public enemy".
I don't share this opinion so far - India is too diverse, both politically and culturally, no signs of great power concentration so far.
I expect Indians to be everywhere in the world soon but I don't expect them to be politically one power.

My opinion: We all underestimate Africa.