Controversial and/or Unpopular, Personal/Political opinions

Page 27 of 31 [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 4:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Health and safety s**t. If people are allowed to smoke then I should be allowed to do whatever I want with my body even if that involves a few risks that are still much better than lung cancer.

OK I'll leave this horrible corner of the site now...

100% agreed.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 4:33 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Yeah, theoretical. I spent years taking care of my parents suffering from theoretical dementia. I know what it looks like.

So that makes you an expert. :roll:

People should just forego years of medical school and ask your opinion instead.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 4:56 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Yeah, theoretical. I spent years taking care of my parents suffering from theoretical dementia. I know what it looks like.

Now you're just being ridiculous. Look, if you want to ignore all of his meandering into bizarre non sequiturs, the ghost handshakes and all the rest of it, fine. But it's a fairly easy condition to spot.

Again, get out of your partisan echo chamber.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 5:00 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Now you're just being ridiculous. Look, if you want to ignore all of his meandering into bizarre non sequiturs, the ghost handshakes and all the rest of it, fine. But it's a fairly easy condition to spot.

Again, get out of your partisan echo chamber.

No, stop making medical diagnoses when you aren’t a doctor.

Diagnosing someone with dementia involves a full diagnostic workup. Until you perform one while having the necessary qualifications, your opinion doesn’t mean much.

Stop giving armchair diagnoses, especially when you aren’t a doctor.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 5:06 pm

Yeah, if you can look at speeches he gave five or ten years ago and compare them to his rantings today, and still believe he hasn't suffered cognitive decline, you simply don't have the ability to look at it objectively.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 5:10 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Yeah, if you can look at speeches he gave five or ten years ago and compare them to his rantings today, and still believe he hasn't suffered cognitive decline, you simply don't have the ability to look at it objectively.

People who diagnose Presidents based on public speeches while having no medical training and having performed no neuropsychological testing may also lack objectivity.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 5:16 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

People who diagnose Presidents based on public speeches while having no medical training and having performed no neuropsychological testing may also lack objectivity.

I guess I have to have medical training to know when someone is making no sense and has probably just s**t in his diaper.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 5:17 pm

As a hypothetical I think it's agreeable that a national leader who's demonstrably showing cognitive declines poses a problem regardless of their leanings, moral character, etc.

There's a case to be made regarding Biden even if it's not conclusive. There was a case to be made regarding Trump even if it wasn't conclusive.

Someone who's severely compromised ought to be removed although it seems that other methods also exist to reduce potential harms. I'm not sure either of those examples I gave reach the threshold to be removed for that reason and beyond that, the political aspect of that fight will always end up dominating the conversation making removing them for that reason almost impossible unless it causes behaviours that would justify the removal all on their own.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 5:21 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I guess I have to have medical training to know when someone is making no sense and has probably just s**t in his diaper.

You need medical training to make diagnoses. You are free to think that someone makes no sense whenever you think the situation warrants it, though.

Generally, one needs to be close by to understandably assume that someone has lost control of his bowels.

It’s really not funny because we will all probably be there someday.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 8:00 pm

I'm sold, A-10 is overhyped.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 8:15 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

You need medical training to make diagnoses. You are free to think that someone makes no sense whenever you think the situation warrants it, though.

Generally, one needs to be close by to understandably assume that someone has lost control of his bowels.

It’s really not funny because we will all probably be there someday.

Nah, I don't think you need medical training to see when someone is beginning to slip mentally. If you've ever watched it occur on a daily basis, you'd know.

As far as the bowel comment, it was a joke. This is coming from someone who took care of a parent for ten years with that problem. I have no problem with humor as a way of dealing with life's difficulties and traumas.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 11:04 am

Before you run off to do God's work, you had better first ask God what work He wants you to do, and if He actually wants you to do it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:42 pm

my unpopular opinion is that I love investing in alcohol and tobacco stocks like Altria and Phillip Morris.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:44 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
my unpopular opinion is that I love investing in alcohol and tobacco stocks like Altria and Phillip Morris.
That's not "unpopular". I took up drinking back in 1996, at age 12. No one really monitored teenage drinking back then.

Smoking, on the other hand, I didn't take up until 2002. And it was Camel; not sure which parent company owns it today.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:49 pm

I don't really consider myself patriotic, I haven't for a very long time. I'm just into tribalism. Resident pf Planet Earth, that's good enough for me.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2022, 9:54 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
That's not "unpopular". I took up drinking back in 1996, at age 12. No one really monitored teenage drinking back then.

Smoking, on the other hand, I didn't take up until 2002. And it was Camel; not sure which parent company owns it today.

Well its unpopular with my friends and family and church.