What's the most Based Opinion You've ever heard?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 12:41 pm

x

Last edited by naturalplastic on 23 Jan 2022, 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 12:48 pm

Ihavestandardsjust wrote:
What's the most Based Opinion that You've ever heard someone say to you, or in your earshot Etc...

When you're online at your...gaming sites, or whatever, and you're interacting with just your own demographic (age group etc) then you have to use your age group's hip argot.

But when you're on an autism support site like this you're among (1) different age groups, (2) different nationalities, and (3) folks with differing cognative abilities and disabilities. So you might consider shifting gears on the language you use. And maybe not try so hard to sound hip (hip is liability and not an asset here). Better to try to be clear than try to be cool and hip. And if you use the latest slang (or any kind of jargon) its nice to explain what it means. Just sayin'.

Carry on.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 6:08 pm

HighLlama wrote:

Yeah, it's not like I can have a preference for certain phrasing over others. I'm failing to notice language changes. Thank you.

You said people are "trying to sound as illiterate as possible" and that "we have a problem due" to popular internet linguistic quirks (failing to note the ironic use of understatement as well), which sounds like more than "I have a preference for one mode of speech over another", it sounds out of touch and judgmental. The thin skinned reply is fairly telling as well, especially as I didn't say anything particularly hostile, merely that I thought you had things wrong.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 6:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
When you're online at your...gaming sites, or whatever, and you're interacting with just your own demographic (age group etc) then you have to use your age group's hip argot.

But when you're on an autism support site like this you're among (1) different age groups, (2) different nationalities, and (3) folks with differing cognative abilities and disabilities. So you might consider shifting gears on the language you use. And maybe not try so hard to sound hip (hip is liability and not an asset here). Better to try to be clear than try to be cool and hip. And if you use the latest slang (or any kind of jargon) its nice to explain what it means. Just sayin'.

Carry on.

Why cater to an audience the OP might not be trying to reach? Based is a newer term, though not that new, and using it is a clear signal to what he's looking for and what group he's trying to reach, and I'm not even sure that there is an older equivalent term that would fit in a thread title. Aside from all that, why does the use of this term seem to bother so many people? Is it really that hard to go "hmm, I'm not familiar with someone using that word in that context, maybe I'll check Google or Urban Dictionary" rather than complaining about the kids theses days with their weird slang? That's what I do when I see an unfamiliar word or usage, though for me it's mostly pretentious academic words like lacuna or atavistic or Manichean, which much like using current slang, have signaling purpose besides their literal meaning.