Page 4 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:05 pm

This is a link to the inexpensive eye patch I used in Phase 1, to repair my stroke vision damage.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/eyepatch

This is what I used in Phase 2. It is an inexpensive toy like device used to help young children with vision problems. This is called an ipidip. I think this is a brand name rather than the name of the product.

This is a link to Dynavision in Phase 3. It was developed to improve the speed of professional athletes. It provided a means of measuring my vision speed. It is a very useful tool for individuals who suffered vision damage due to a stroke.
https://www.dynavisioninternational.com/

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:52 pm

magz

I think you may have experienced a similar relationship. My two brains are separate and function well together. One is a daytime brain and the other only comes out during the deepest phase of REM sleep. I have a lot of respect for my second brain and consider it to be my better half. I consider it to be my friend. If you read the book "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor, you can see the conflict that arises when these two brains are in conflict with each other. In a sense she experienced what I had (a brain swap between the two halves) when she was around 35 years old compared to mine that occurred when I was a small child of 3 or 4.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 8:54 am

I woke up this morning and found a light dusting of snow up and down my long driveway. So I took my magical wind generating machine, normally called a battery operated snow blower and went to work. Now my driveway is clean. I came into the house and my beautiful wife said that the news weather reporters have said we will be getting more snow again today.

And I thought "O.K. snow, you want to dance. Well bring it on. I am ready for you."

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jan 2022, 9:03 am

jimmy m wrote:
And I thought "O.K. snow, you want to dance. Well bring it on. I am ready for you."

<music starts> ;)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 11:46 am

I have been known to use a electric leaf blower on light snow on my driveway. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm

The surface of the brain, known as the cerebral cortex, is very uneven, characterized by a distinctive pattern of folds or bumps, known as gyri (singular: gyrus), and grooves, known as sulci (singular: sulcus), shown in Figure 1. These gyri and sulci form important landmarks that allow us to separate the brain into functional centers. The most prominent sulcus, known as the longitudinal fissure, is the deep groove that separates the brain into two halves or hemispheres: the left hemisphere and the right hemisphere.

Figure 1. The surface of the brain is covered with gyri and sulci. A deep sulcus is called a fissure, such as the longitudinal fissure that divides the brain into left and right hemispheres. (credit: modification of work by Bruce Blaus)

The two hemispheres are connected by a thick band of neural fibers known as the corpus callosum, consisting of about 200 million axons. The corpus callosum allows the two hemispheres to communicate with each other and allows for information being processed on one side of the brain to be shared with the other side.

Normally, we are not aware of the different roles that our two hemispheres play in day-to-day functions, but there are people who come to know the capabilities and functions of their two hemispheres quite well. In some cases of severe epilepsy, doctors elect to sever the corpus callosum as a means of controlling the spread of seizures (Figure 2). While this is an effective treatment option, it results in individuals who have “split brains”. After surgery, these split-brain patients show a variety of interesting behaviors. For instance, a split-brain patient is unable to name a picture that is shown in the patient’s left visual field because the information is only available in the largely nonverbal right hemisphere. However, they are able to recreate the picture with their left hand, which is also controlled by the right hemisphere. When the more verbal left hemisphere sees the picture that the hand drew, the patient is able to name it (assuming the left hemisphere can interpret what was drawn by the left hand).

Figure 2. (a, b) The corpus callosum connects the left and right hemispheres of the brain. (c) A scientist spreads this dissected sheep brain apart to show the corpus callosum between the hemispheres. (credit c: modification of work by Aaron Bornstein)

Much of what we know about the functions of different areas of the brain comes from studying changes in the behavior and ability of individuals who have suffered damage to the brain. For example, researchers study the behavioral changes caused by strokes to learn about the functions of specific brain areas. A stroke, caused by an interruption of blood flow to a region in the brain, causes a loss of brain function in the affected region. The damage can be in a small area, and, if it is, this gives researchers the opportunity to link any resulting behavioral changes to a specific area. The types of deficits displayed after a stroke will be largely dependent on where in the brain the damage occurred.

SOURCE: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/wayma ... inal-cord/

THIS IS AN EXPLANATION OF WHY I LOST MY VISION ON THE RIGHT SIDE AFTER MY STROKE. SO THE NEXT QUESTION IS HOW DO YOU SUCCESSFULLY REWIRE THE BRAIN.

I made it past first base. (Took less than 2 weeks time.)
I made it past second base. That took less than a month.
But third base is a bear.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:09 pm

Keep on keeping on. JimmyM. You can do it. :D :D :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 9:50 am

I came across this photo this morning and thought it was humorous.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 10:15 am

Well yesterday we received a total of about 1 inch of snow. They are saying next Thursday we might have between 3 to 5 inches of snow. If so then I will need to get my large snow blower out of the garage and get it ready. I will also need to figure out how it works. (I lost some of my brain cells due to the stroke and I am afraid that those cells may include operating instructions on my snow blower.)

The temperature last night fell to one of the coldest so far this year. It was around 2 degrees F or colder this morning.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 11:44 am

Well I completed my daily exercise. I generally walk for about an hour per day going up and down a steep hill. But boy was it cold today. It was around 2 degrees F (-16.7 degrees C) this morning. I am now in the defrost mode.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:07 pm

Loved the Sign… love the fact that you are willing to get your exercise in in spite of unusually cold weather. :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm

Over the past decade or so, a lot of effort has been put into "mapping" the human brain – that is, linking areas that differ anatomically (have different inputs, outputs, types or arrangements of neurons, and/or neuropharmacology) to different functions. From this, we hope we can learn something about how and why these anatomical differences matter. However, in doing this, the field has also uncovered a lot of hemispheric asymmetries – cases in which, for example, a left hemisphere brain area becomes active and its right hemisphere homologue (with the SAME basic inputs, outputs, etc.) is much less active (or vice versa). This should really surprise us: here are two brain areas that are essentially the same on all the dimensions the field is used to thinking about, yet they behave strikingly differently. There must be physical differences between them, of course – but then, this means that those "subtle" differences are much more critical for function than the field has appreciated.

Why do the hemispheres differ? I think it is because even small differences in something like the strength with which areas are connected can lead to very different dynamic patterns of activation over time – and thus different functions. For language comprehension in particular, my work has shown that left hemisphere processing is more influenced by what are sometimes called "top-down" connections, which means that the left hemisphere is more likely to predict what word might be coming up next and to have its processing affected by that prediction. The right hemisphere, instead, shows more "feedforward" processing: it is less influenced by predictions (which can make its processing less efficient) but then more able to later remember details about the words it encountered. Because of what is likely a difference (possibly small) in the efficacy of particular connections within each hemisphere, the same brain areas in the two interact differently, and this leads to measurable and important asymmetries in how words are perceived, linked to meaning, remembered, and responded to.

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2013/12/02/248089436/the-truth-about-the-left-brain-right-brain-relationship

Thus I suspect that my thought processes are substantially different. They represent a right handed approach being primary.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 7:00 pm

You are probably aware that the two halves of your brain are not the same and that they perform different functions. For example, in general the left side of your brain is responsible for movement in the right side of your body, and vice versa. Beyond this, though, the two brain hemispheres appear to have much greater specialized abilities.

It has come to be rather common knowledge that, for most of us, the left brain controls our ability to use language while the right is involved in spatial relationships, such as those needed for artistic activities, Stroke or head injury patients who suffer damage to the left side of the brain will usually lose, to varying degrees, their ability to speak (often this skill returns with therapy and training). Many people believe that each half, or hemisphere, of your brain may actually be a completely separate mental system with its own individual abilities for learning, remembering, perceiving the world, and feeling emotions. The concepts underlying this view of the brain rest on early scientific research on the effects of splitting the brain into two separate hemispheres.

https://www.hasdk12.org/cms/lib/PA01001366/Centricity/Domain/820/One%20Brain%20Or%20Two.pdf

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

I can relate to this.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 9:50 pm

Oddly enough , I can relate to some it. I thought a some of that was due to my autism… :roll: