Page 2 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 10:19 am

Thank you Jimmy m. Yes it’s a balmy 20 F. HERE AND LOOKS LIKE SITUATIONS DICTate I must be out in it.
Probably a great part of the day. Doing difficult labour intensive things. And not by choice.

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:07 pm

I thought I might pass on a word of knowledge to the youngest generations.
When I was young, I was not a great student. Somewhere in the middle of the road. But around 60 years ago when I entered the 9th grade, that all began to change. And I would attribute it to a class that I took in the 9th grade in High School. The class was called SPEED READING.

So when I view this under the theory of Two Brain Theory, my dramatic change in educational capability and knowledge was due to a large extend from this single class in high school. Up until that time, the only books I ever read were comic books. After that course my ability to read grew like a rocket.

I had a severe problem with Short Term Memory. When I read a paragraph, I would read the first sentence and then the second sentence. But by the time I finished the second sentence, I would forget what was in the first sentence and have to read it all over again. So reading one paragraph would take me an hour because I was constantly reading and rereading the information.

The course in speed reading corrected this flaw for me. In the class, they would flash a paragraph or two on the screen and then after a few seconds, they would turn the screen off and then ask me questions about what I had just read. It made no sense to me at the time but I soon caught on. In Speed Reading you change the way that you read. You read from the inside out. In a paragraph there are two or three key words. You find these words very quickly and then start attaching the words together. You build the paragraph together in pieces from the inside out.

Now I cannot say that they even teach this course anymore in school, but if I am correct, then this will greatly improve your life for the better. I attended my 50th year high school class reunion a few years ago and met one of my former classmates. He said "I always wondered what became of the class genius".

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 4:52 pm

I decided to do a quick scan on the internet about Two Brain Theory. During the last century, there was some papers published that began to analyze the beginnings of this theory.

This is from an article published in English Education, Volume 18, No. 3 in October 1986 titled The Two-Brain Theory: A Critique by Ronald Shook.

The human brain is divided into two hemispheres along a front to back cleavage. These hemispheres are connected by bundles of nerves fibers, the largest of which is the corpus callosum. Early brain researchers were puzzled by the existence of the hemispheres, since all activity seemed to be centered in the left hemisphere (for this reason it was named the "major" hemisphere), with the right - or "minor" hemisphere.

According to Wikipedia

Dual consciousness is a theoretical concept in neuroscience. It is proposed that it is possible that a person may develop two separate conscious entities within their one brain after undergoing a corpus callosotomy. (Brain Surgery) The idea first began circulating in the neuroscience community after some split-brain patients exhibited the alien hand syndrome, which led some scientists to believe that there must be two separate consciousnesses within the brain's left and right hemispheres in competition with one another once the corpus callosum is severed.

During the first half of the 20th century, some neurosurgeons concluded that the best option of treating severe epilepsy was by severing the patient's corpus callosum. The corpus callosum is the primary communication mechanism between the brain's two cerebral hemispheres. The procedure of surgically removing the corpus callosum is called a corpus callosotomy. Patients who have undergone a corpus callosotomy are colloquially referred to as "split-brain patients". They are called so because now their brain's left and right hemispheres are no longer connected by the corpus callosum.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:05 pm

^^ I was actually taught to read like that after awhile in elementary school. My reading comprehension got a lot better when I wasn't trying to process entire bricks of text anymore, and it made doing other things like tests and word problems in math a lot easier. I don't know if that's commonly taught, but I think "speed reading" is an important skill to have either way.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 6:12 pm

HeroOfHyrule I agree also. The Speed Reading course helped me greatly during my life.

I was tortured (both physically and mentally) by my classmates from 5th to 8th grade. During the graduation party at the end of the year, my pier group voted me "Least Likely to Succeed". Four years later when I graduated from High School, I had become the class genius. In looking back, I attribute that in part to taking Speed Reading class.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 1:10 pm

The human brain is actually two brains, each capable of advanced mental functions. When the cerebrum is divided surgically, it is as if the cranium contained two separate spheres of consciousness.

Published in
Sci Am 1967 Aug; 217(2):24-9.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. And if I am not wrong (which would be a rare event), many of occupants of Wrong Planet live their lives with the Right hemisphere in charge, rather then the Left.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 2:23 pm

This is an interesting video.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 3:51 pm

I understand what the video said but . It is still hard to process . Just kinda weird , but I feel it makes sense.
But originally being left handed, even after many attempts to change by my parents growing up.
Then a very severe auto accident severed nerves to operate the fingers and feeling in the left hand and a bunch of other stuff you take for granted that the spinal nerves control even up into the brain . So almost into my 20s, Was left handed . I then had no choice but to become right handed . But the oddity of it was not so bad as , my coordination was never that good anyhow. Have never done any formal testing concerning my 2 hemispheres .
And there was a extended paralysis of the left side after that crash. After coming out of my coma..
But eye tests that I have done . Have determined , I am still left eye dominant.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 5:15 pm

People toss around the term "mind-blowing" a lot these days, but when it comes to knowledge that is capable of rupturing your mind, the above video from pretty much takes the proverbial cake.

You are not 'you'... you are actually two brains residing in one person. And one of your brains is just a silent (potentially unwilling) passenger, along for the ride.

Creeped out yet? It's only just getting started.

We've all heard about the left brain/right brain divide, and most of us have been told that it doesn't really exist. And that's partly true - the old-fashioned notion that certain behaviours and traits are controlled solely by one side of the brain doesn't really pan out. But what is real is the fact that there definitely are two distinct brain hemispheres - a left and a right. These hemispheres each receive half our visual information, and direct half our movement - the left brain controls the right side of our body, the right brain controls the left.

And these two hemispheres communicate through a 'wire', or series of nerves. But that wire can be severed, and back in the day, this procedure was performed as a treatment for epilepsy. This wire-cutting can leave people with what's known as 'split brain', and research on these individuals is, quite frankly, unnerving. It becomes clear pretty quickly that, in people with split brain, the right hemisphere can perform actions that the left hemisphere has no idea about, and has to try to make up a story to explain it.

Source: https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-you- ... one-person
---------------------------------

So if this is true, then in my opinion, individuals with Asperger Syndrome (Aspies) suffered brain injury and damage at a very early age. It damaged our brain to the point that our left side of our brain could not function and our right side of our brain stepped in to carry the weight. But our right side of our brain had to learn the skills performed by our left side of our brain. Since we were still young, this was not impossible. Our right side was able to make the transition and we were able to evolve into Individuals that were slightly different than others. We became Aspies. In time, our left side of the brain recovered and became our secondary brain.

But these two brains are radically different. We are two different people. Our right side is huge in its view of the world. It drinks knowledge and has the capacity to become very great individuals.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm

Jakki, when I was around 3 or 4 years of age, I suffered a near death experience. I was a small child and I was attacked by a thousand pound bull. It was a life and death experience. When I came back, I was different. I became fearless. I would walk for hours and hours in the deep woods alone, exploring the world. I dug a hole in my yard and collected snakes. When I look back in time, I can see that the event altered me. Most people cannot even remember events that happened when they were younger than 6 years old. I can go back to the age of 2 years and 1 month.

Jakki, a very severe automobile accident at a young age could also explain a brain hemisphere change. It may have forced your body to transition primary brain control from a left hemisphere of your brain to the right hemisphere. This is not related to whether you are right handed or left handed. I would view that as a different subject.

I guess I would ask the question, Did Your Personality Change After The Accident?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm

Interesting images:

Human Brain Size Grew 200 Percent in 3 Million Years

Last edited by jimmy m on 24 Jan 2022, 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:04 pm

jimmy m wrote:
When the cerebrum is divided surgically, it is as if the cranium contained two separate spheres of consciousness.

I heard of that. If cross-hemispherical signal processing is disconnected, left hand literally doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

jimmy m wrote:
When I came back, I was different. I became fearless. I would walk for hours and hours in the deep woods alone, exploring the world

Does that really constitute fearlessness? To me, fearless is Evel Knievel, doing dangerous stunts for a living. Not a peaceful stroll in the woods. I know there are dangerous animals, but you sure it wasn't just being oblivious to danger, like most kids are.

jimmy m wrote:
Human Brain Size Grew 200 Percent in 3 Million Years

I don't think there's a consensus is there? in the scientific community on the cause of this. Many Hypotheses, Such as diet played a role, high protein, maybe even psychedelic plants. Or cultural changes, increased tool use, hunting, wars. Or even environmental changes, like jungles becoming deserts, causing exoduses, or The ice ages, stirring mutations and speeding up intelligence.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:47 pm

theprisoner wrote

Does that really constitute fearlessness? To me, fearless is Evel Knievel, doing dangerous stunts for a living. Not a peaceful stroll in the woods. I know there are dangerous animals, but you sure it wasn't just being oblivious to danger, like most kids are.

I don't know. How many other people that you have known have driven down the road at 150 mph going 10,000 rpm and survived.

How many other people that you know traveled to the other side of the world and after 5 weeks proposed to a girl who did not even share a common language.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:59 pm

If you really are truly fearless, you might have amygdala damage. I wouldn't know that, It's a subjective thing. MRI(? or one of those...) scans tell what areas light up or don't. Fear is limbic system function. Millisecond responses, all data is first processed through the Amygdala. If it's hyperactive, you get the opposite, anxiety, fear, flight or fight, Cortisol spike. Incidentally a dampened Amygdala, Lowers Cortisol, less Stress, Higher Testosterone. As Cortisol and testosterone are antagonists. Scientists once did a test of Antisocial personality disorder kids (oppositional defiant.) They sampled saliva, and found they all had lower cortisol, higher testosterone (which makes them aggressive, prone to violent acting out) compared to control groups, non delinquents.

I know NDE survivors come back totally changed, usually with more extroverted personality. Less fearful, specifically no fear of death. Since they tasted it, and it altered their brain. A skeptic might say oxygen deprivation did that. Cause physical alteration in their synaptic pathways. IS that what you're saying happened to you?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:09 pm

Add a higher density of neural pathways and fibers , and a lack of neural pruning , situations as I understand are found in autopsied Aspie brains . And you might have something. Regarding several posts above

To consider btw jimmy m did notice that after I had recovered from the worst of of my injuries , I was alittle more fearless about my world. I think. But not in the sense of being fearless but rather a way of looking at things . That were less threatening to me in the world.
This may not be a great example but , a thought ? If I were just about dead , then what’s the worst that can happen to me . To become dead . It does not mean to be reckless but rather (everything in life is equal) No idea what I meant here it just blurted out. , You don’t fit into life the same way . People are just humans not generals or civilians . But that does not mean you , do not, need to sort the bad from the good. And use applied knowledge .
Am sorry if this seems nebulous, it is not intended to confuse . This is my best effort to expound on this at this time.
Btw . FYI my cortisol levels have been off the charts a great portion of my life . Not sure the revolence?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:41 pm

Yeah a changed outlook. That's a cognitive thing. The cerebral cortex. At the same time everybody has their own anxiety threshold. Conscious mind, and the autonomic limbic system interact. If you're fearful it will affect your thoughts. And if you have a fearful outlook, it will trigger the Amygdala. Any kind of traumatic event will make big changes in personality. Nearly dying is high price to pay, a terrible ordeal, but sometimes a good way to really shift a persons personality to something more positive.

Cortisol is the stress hormone, As well as adrenaline, noradrenaline, one stress hormone specifically imprints memories into the brain during trauma, it's what makes certain life events more memorable than others. Amygdala is the primary controller of how stress is manifested in the body. If it's damaged you can become fearless. And if it's stimulated too much, you body will be flooded with Cortisol, adrenaline, blood will be directed to the limbs. muscles, away from the torso, digestion slowed, sexual drive reduced, all necessary functions become prioritized towards survival. The brain becomes less analytical and more reactionary. Fight or flight mode. Chronic activation leads to chronic stress, which depletes the body's health. A common modern day epidemic.