What was your developmental history like?

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:39 pm

Fans. Am still fascinated by them , my love is ceiling fans .. on slow. This maybe off base.. but Colon health , I believe has a great deal to do with a child’s progress . And adults as well . Have been through a lot of research.
Might consider the child’s diet . And possible check into finding a way to detox the child through colon health.
It is a longer process than normal therapy . Looking at months of a regular program of detoxing the colon .
And good diet . To see any initial changes , And requires work .On your part . But watch for results after a month or two . You can always go back to however he was being fed if no results . This is just my opinion and progress, I made when I tried this program . And was under a doctors care. A accurate blood test , from a very reputable lab,
That specifically can test for bacterial loading of Borrelia burgdorphi. (Most likely this test would be out of pocket.) May unveil some clues , in case he starts to regress on any progress he had made.
Take this with a grain of Salt …. Have done some rather dramatic progressive type of research that has not been recognized yet. This stuff, written above is specific to Autism and other issues .

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:52 pm

LisaM1031 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i hope the OP has good social service/good insurance to assist her child in his development. there wasn't any of that stuff in my young years so i was stunted. didn't speak 'til 4. didn't read 'til 6 or so. in sped for my elementary school years. lousy proprioception/reflexes so my time in PE stank to heaven, they usually sent me to the office to do their paper work.

The evaluation and speech therapy is covered by the town and school district where I live.

that is a great thing :star:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm

when i was a kid i was mesmerized by fans as well as heaters/heating vents, as a 5 year old i'd point at a heat vent and yell "HEEDUR!!" :mrgreen:

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2022, 10:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when i was a kid i was mesmerized by fans as well as heaters/heating vents, as a 5 year old i'd point at a heat vent and yell "HEEDUR!!" :mrgreen:

My son had swimming lessons over the summer. We would sit the kids on the side of the pool to have them jump in. He would just sit there, mesmerized by the drainage system, watching the overflowing water drain through the crate. The teacher said something to me and I just said yeah I think he’s fascinated by the water drainage system. She just laughed and said she never noticed or thought about it.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2022, 10:27 pm

1986 wrote:
Not sure when I started talking, but my parents used to complain that I was talking all. the. time. when I was around 3. Then they were surprised when I turned 5 and suddenly everything went quiet. By then I had learnt to read and had swapped communication with others for books.

It should be noted that just because I talked a lot it doesn't mean I was sociable.

This post was about my son but as I mentioned, I strongly suspect that I myself was one of those high functioning autistics that slid under the radar. What you just described sounds very similar to my childhood. Apparently I was a very “outgoing” toddler but at around 3 to 4 I went almost completely silent and stayed that way. Regarding my toddler years, knowing what I know now, I don’t think I was “outgoing” at all. I think I just learned to speak early and learned a lot of words quickly. I would also recite information like names of planets and dinosaurs and add double digit numbers. Not exactly sociable, more of a walking encyclopedia.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 1:57 am

LisaM1031 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

My son had swimming lessons over the summer. We would sit the kids on the side of the pool to have them jump in. He would just sit there, mesmerized by the drainage system, watching the overflowing water drain through the crate. The teacher said something to me and I just said yeah I think he’s fascinated by the water drainage system. She just laughed and said she never noticed or thought about it.

i useta do that also. :alien: :nerdy:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 6:20 am

I knew a 6-year-old kid who would jump for joy whenever he saw a septic system.

I guess the “unknown” is what’s so irritating in your case.

I’d get him assessed soon. It might be nothing….but if it is something, he can be put in Early Intervention. Even if he is autistic, as Juliette stated, it’s still far from being a hopeless situation. I had zero language at age 2 1/2, though I was toilet-trained.

He plays appropriately, which is a good prognostic sign.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 7:54 pm

LisaM1031 wrote:
This post was about my son but as I mentioned, I strongly suspect that I myself was one of those high functioning autistics that slid under the radar. What you just described sounds very similar to my childhood. Apparently I was a very “outgoing” toddler but at around 3 to 4 I went almost completely silent and stayed that way. Regarding my toddler years, knowing what I know now, I don’t think I was “outgoing” at all. I think I just learned to speak early and learned a lot of words quickly. I would also recite information like names of planets and dinosaurs and add double digit numbers. Not exactly sociable, more of a walking encyclopedia.

Yeah, that was my childhood too. I devoured books on dinosaurs and space, filled as much as I could of my bookshelf with it. In preschool I made a 10 metre long coloured paper roll charting the evolutionary history of life on earth from 4.5 billion years ago to the present.

I have a daughter at a mere 4 months and I'm watching her closely for any early signs of autism. I have a feeling it'll probably hit differently than what it did to me, if it ever does. So far we're on time with the developmental milestones, but still a long way to go before we can say for sure. I think they'll screen for autism around 1 year here.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 4:08 pm

LisaM1031 wrote:
I’ve posted on here before because while not diagnosed with ASD, I strongly suspect I’m on the spectrum (like 99% chance).
I also have a son who’s currently 2.5 and has a language delay. I know that this in and of itself doesn’t imply ASD. However, he has about 5-10 words he says at any given time and his vocabulary is not growing. It always stays about the same and he seems to lose words he previously had. He also can only say one syllable words with the end consonant cut off (like Fa for fan). No two syllable words or short sentences.
He also has an obsession with fans and can stare at a moving fan for hours. There are some of the trade mark mannerisms as well like toe walking and hand flapping on a regular basis.

I have not pursued a diagnosis for my son yet because he’s still young but I think there’s a strong chance he may qualify. Have any of you had a similar developmental history?

Yes, I neither talked nor walked until I was almost four years old.

But then, at around the same time I learned how to walk and talk, I also figured out on my own, how to play the piano by ear.

And then, over the next few years or so, thanks to excellent tutoring by my parents, I became a "little professor."

I failed kindergarten due to being socially-underdeveloped. My parents were told that I had to either repeat kindergarten or attend a smaller school. My parents chose to send me to a small Lutheran parochial school, where I started doing very well academically after the first few months or so.

LisaM1031 wrote:
Where you had trouble with language early on and turned out to be high functioning?

That's what happened to me.

Some people who "turned out to be high functioning" had an even longer speech delay. For example, Jim Sinclair, who founded Autism Network International back in the early 1990's, didn't learn to talk until age 12.

But it's certainly not guaranteed. You can't tell what your son's longterm developmental trajectory will be at this point.

I would suggest that you maximize your chances by doing everything you can to educate your son, beyond whatever education he might be getting in pre-school. Don't assume, for example, that he can't learn to read, ore even write, before he learns to talk. Many autistic kids are hyperlexic, meaning they learn to read before they learn to talk.

I would suggest giving him every possible opportunity to learn to read. For example, if you haven't done so already, put a large alphabet poster on his wall and sing the alphabet song to him every day, pointing to the letters. Put a number chart on his wall and teach him to count, pointing to the numbers. Show him basic educational children's TV shows like Sesame Street. Show him cartoon videos with subtitles. Read small children's books to him each night at bedtime, pointing to the words.

For more advice, see also the EikonaBridge website, based on the successful experience of one autistic parent, Jason Wu, in raising his autistic children. See especially the sections Autism Made Simple and Common Mistakes in Raising Children with Autism.

Unfortunately, the educational establishment currently takes a social-behavior-first approach to educating small children, and especially autistic children. They do this for institutional convenience, so the school itself can function more smoothly and inexpensively. But I'm inclined to agree with Jason Wu that it's probably NOT what's really best for for autistic children. So, until your child learns to talk, you'll need to put quite a bit of do-it-yourself effort into the academic side of your child's education and not leave it up to the school system.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 9:12 pm

I was born January 1957.Watched what was regarded as a lot of TV in the late 1950s to early 1960s. Wouldn't get off to sleep for ages.Then was prone to waking up due to having nightmares. Was reading some time before the Kennedy vs Nixon presidential contest in November 1960 (The children's encyclopaedias my parents had recently bought) Didn't remember this at all but apparently rushed into the kitchen to tell my parents something about that election. I'm still quite interested in politics. Had poor coordination and tended to stammer quite a lot.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 2:29 am

Delayed in most areas other than physical ability. I mostly caught up after quite a bit of speech therapy, repeating grades and people/my mother working with me. I guess anyway, other than the deficits that can't really be fixed/improved beyond what qualifies for a diagnosis. I maybe still have verbal deficits, but it'd be a processing disorder. I do get secondhand information that I'm fairly..."off" when it comes to verbal communication with people that I don't know when expressing myself (I can understand others fine, well mostly), with mechanical things. Albeit, I'm fine with people I'm comfortable with, so maybe it's just based in familiarity and routine. I've never been good at education. I'm definitely socially and emotionally impaired (diagnosis material there), but I did improve over the years. Strong restricted/repetitive behaviors from the beginning. Desire for routine, sensory stuff and so on too. It morphed from moderate to generally mild/high functioning Autism as I aged.

As an adult, it's compounded by mental illness, so I can't say what the trajectory would have been with just Autism. I attempted college, but as above, I'm not good at education, so still impaired in that aspect. I decided to become self-employed as a private investigator after some other stuff as I'm not the best at working with others, but life kinda did its thing, mental illness came and the rest is history. PTSD, Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder and OCD hit me.

I'm a carer now though, and I guess I'm about as good as a normal person, so not impaired in this.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 3:03 am

avanced, i was put ahead with older children,
that gave me the idea that i missed out when the rules of everything were handed out
groups of children(peoples) were and are very frightening, i pretended to not care/cry

very good domesticated, and was given a lot of responability when things went downhill for the parents, i picked up many loose ends,
then i was put back in my place and a tight rope, and had to be girl or got confused by their push for suitors,
started lying drinking evading home and school
got into more trouble, youthwork came and went, fosterparent () threw me out too,
started semi-homeless wandering around
after hs-graduation, study was cut off (financially(i had the admission)) and i lived with the lost-boys 8O :mrgreen:

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 12:19 pm

starrytigress wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i hope the OP has good social service/good insurance to assist her child in his development. there wasn't any of that stuff in my young years so i was stunted. didn't speak 'til 4. didn't read 'til 6 or so.

This might not have as much to do with your autism as just a crummy school system. I couldn't read at six either, so I needed special 'remedial' reading lessons.

Where were you going to school that not reading until 6 was considered behind? In Saskatchewan, they start reading instruction at six!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 2:25 pm

I first walked at 11 months.

I said my first word at 13 months.

I was fully potty-trained at 22 months.

My parents recorded my milestones down in a diary and it seems I wasn't delayed in any of my milestones.

I developed typically as a baby/toddler. I was just behind with some self-awareness skills (I would still shout out private/embarrassing remarks without caring that other kids might laugh, or I'd do socially inappropriate things like have gross eating habits at the dinner table at school and I wondered why one girl called me a skank). I also lagged behind on social skills when I was a teenager, causing me to do embarrassing things without realising until a peer lectured me on it.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 6:16 pm

I'd have to ask my mother, but I do know I walked very early, and I was delayed in talking. The speech delay was compounded by physical stuff, so again, it might be hard to determine what's purely Autism and what's not. The difficulties with reading/writing and verbal expression/understanding were obviously Autism though.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 7:39 pm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... y-age-two/

according to the Scientific American article, two year olds could get diagnosed with autism.

you wrote that your son is two.

please take him to get diagnosed.

i did not get diagnosed until 21. the Regional Center only provides professional services to clients that got diagnosed before 18. (occupational therapy, applied behavioral therapy, speech therapy). professional services $$$$.

furthermore, my parents blamed me for my autism symptoms. they had the nerve to tell me off, numerous times, for facial expressions. (verbally) it also might (or might not) have been helpful if schoolteachers were to have known about my diagnoses. on the other hand, not all the schoolteachers were too receptive or updated about the latest greatest autism research. so whatever.