Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm

No. As a child I was afraid of fire, including candles. I was afraid that me or my little sister would knock them down and burn the house. I was okay with bonfires and the fireplaces at home because those were burning in safe environments, but anyone could move a candle to a dangerous place, so those were scary. Having to lit a candle, or anything, really, with a match still makes me nervous and usually takes me a few tries to lit one.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 1:03 pm

My brother had a broken arm, and he was playing with his Evil Knievel motorcycle toy trying to make it jump through a hoop from a ramp.

He decided to light the hoop on fire as a special effect but ended up getting second degree burns all over his good arm.

I think he used kerosene or something, and splashed it on his arm.

He ended up spending the summer with one arm in a plaster cast and the other arm in burn dressings.

Both arms were in slings.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2022, 1:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I think he used kerosene or something, and splashed it on his arm.

He ended up spending the summer with one arm in a plaster cast and the other arm in burn dressings.

Both arms were in slings.

Wow, that sounds like a painful lesson in safety. Luckily it was only 2nd degree, 3rd degree would be really bad.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 1:28 pm

Jayo wrote:
Were you a pyromaniac?
No, but I was mixing black powder when I was 6, and sold a few "Stink Bombs" to my classmates, as well.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 6:26 am

Not really. I would say I'm nifty with fire. I grew up in China and every kid played with fire crackers (and every adult smoked). Certainly nobody was afraid of matches or open fire. It's just traditional to play with fire. I was so stoked when someone gave me a lighter gun. :D

*I would never encourage anyone to play with dangerous stuff before learning all the safety rules. I'm actually super cautious. Have never hurt myself or damaged anything.

EdCase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm

I was fascinated by it when younger.

I did some stupid things when younger and one particular instance scared me so I learnt a healthy respect about actually setting things on fire. I never set anything on fire that belonged to anyone else, never harmed any living thing, and there was no desire to be destructive.

I think fire is beautiful to watch (bewitching, mesmerizing), better than a lava lamp (like those too though).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 6:11 am

Nope…too scared to even light a match.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 6:29 am

At first, I tried pinching paper matches near the head, but it was too easy to get burned. Then I discovered that I could grip the other end, and press on the head with my middle finger. Striking it hard down the cover heated the head, but it only began to burn as it hit the chemistry of the striker strip, and instantly sprung off my finger as it passed.
Fun fact: You can burn 0000 steel wool. Just let a spark from a dead lighter hit it, and red glowing spots start racing around.
Bonus: On a trip to the city, my car lights about a million fires to push me there and back with the smoke.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 6:51 am

um, I kind of still am. I think there is something instinctive and primal in our fascination with fire. Atavistic is the word I want, I think.
I didn't get into trouble as a kid with it but have loved lighters, candles, bonfires, fires in fireplaces and campfires forever. I think it is why I used to smoke, too! Playing with fire multiple days has its appeal. I often light a scented candle in the morning when I get up and make my coffee.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 8:28 am

Visits to great grandmother were enjoyable because I had the privilege of putting small bits of rubbish like tissues on the kitchen open fire

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 9:40 am

Never met my great-grandparents; all passed away at least 10 years before I was born.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm

There once was a company with a lot of engineers and an annual picnic. Someone started recording how long it took to get the charcoal started for a barbeque, and the contest was on. After a decade, they settled on a very sturdy, Stainless Steel pan. This was filled with charcoal, and a lit cigarette placed in the middle. Then, using a ten-foot (3m) pole, a gallon (4 l) of liquid oxygen would be poured in. After ten spectacular seconds, the coals were all quietly aglow.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 4:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nope…too scared to even light a match.

Me too even to this day.

geoanon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2022, 9:17 pm

Yes, fire has always fascinated me, I love to watch stuff burn, same with flood videos I find the gradual destruction fascinating.

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2022, 7:52 pm

I think this does have more to do with watching things falling apart on my end. I adore order and symmetry, but seeing something crumble is ...fun. Burning is one of ways to destroy something, so it is fun too, I guess? But I have enough of self control to not run around and put things on fire.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 10:20 am

Dear_one wrote:
There once was a company with a lot of engineers and an annual picnic. Someone started recording how long it took to get the charcoal started for a barbeque, and the contest was on. After a decade, they settled on a very sturdy, Stainless Steel pan. This was filled with charcoal, and a lit cigarette placed in the middle. Then, using a ten-foot (3m) pole, a gallon (4 l) of liquid oxygen would be poured in. After ten spectacular seconds, the coals were all quietly aglow.

Your story reminded me of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYDGqgKAc8

Yes, diamonds are not forever. They can burn when heated and dropped in liquid oxygen. All that is left is carbon dioxide gas in the process.