21 Jan 2022, 4:38 am

Post anything NASA related.

I'll begin:

:nerdy:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 4:39 am

I cannot help but see this rocket as a giant penis & this troubles me.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 6:54 am

This is not exactly directly related to NASA, but indirectly related to NASA.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 7:07 am

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I cannot help but see this rocket as a giant penis & this troubles me.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 12:34 am

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 11:46 am

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/3 ... ce-iss.htm

"NASA is financing Blue Origin's private Orbital Reef space station due to the deteriorating status of the International Space Station (ISS), which is expected to retire by 2030.

This was after the space agency awarded a $130 million contract to Jeff Bezos' space business and its partners, Geek Wire said. Two additional teams received NASA money for their design efforts: Nanoracks of Houston will receive $160 million for its Starlab idea, and Northrop Grumman will receive $125.6 million.

According to TechCrunch, NASA's auditing authority, the Office of Audits, stated that the US space agency intends to replace the ISS with a commercial space station after the former is retired."

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 11:49 am

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/abou ... eline.html

[ . . . ]

"2000s – The 21st Century

The center makes key contributions to the Columbia Accident Investigation and Constellation Project. The campus also undergoes transformation with the addition of the Mission Integration Center and the removal of several historic facilities.

2000 – Dedication of the Ballistics Lab in the Materials and Structures Building. Glenn-designed solar arrays delivered to the International Space Station.
2001 – STS-107 crew visits Glenn to train on the Combustion Module-2.
2002 – Graphics and Visualization (GRUVE) Lab and Telescience Support Center facilities open.
2003 – Julian Earls becomes center director. Ballistics Lab performs impact testing for the Columbia accident investigation.
2004 – Center formally acquires the S-3 Viking aircraft.
2005 – Woodrow Whitlow becomes Glenn center director.
2006 – NASA assigns Glenn responsibility for Orion service module.
2007 – Rededication of the Space Power Facility (SPF). Launch of the NSTAR thruster-powered Dawn asteroid mission
2008 – Demolition of the Altitude Wind Tunnel commences. Assembled Ares I-X segments leave Glenn for delivery to Kennedy Space Center.
2009 – Commercial Aviation Safety Team Robert J. Collier Trophy. Glenn-designed Ares I-X Upper Stage Simulator is successfully launched.
2010 – NASA Glenn Visitor Center moves to Great Lakes Science Center. Ramon Lugo becomes center director.
2011 – Dedication of the new main gate and security building.
2012 – Space Communications and Navigation (SCaN) sent to the ISS.
2013 – Jim Free becomes Glenn center director. NEXT thruster completes record-setting 5 1/2-year duration test.
2014 – Glenn dedicates new Mission Integration Center building.
2015 – The center inducts first class into the Glenn Hall of Fame.
2016 – Janet Kavandi becomes center director. Orion Crew Module acoustics testing conducted at the Space Power Facility.
2017 – Glenn celebrates its 75th anniversary.
2018 – Orion spacecraft for Artemis I is tested at the Space Power Facility Groundbreaking for the Research Support Building.
2019 – Software Defined Radio team inducted into Space Technology Hall of Fame.
2020 – Dr. Marla E. Pérez-Davis becomes center director. Plum Brook Station is renamed the Neil Armstrong Test Facility."

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 11:55 am

NASA Astrobee System Overview
Overview of Astrobee System design and current status for the SPHERES/Astrobee Working Group quarterly meeting.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20180000398

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 12:00 pm

NASA, they run the American Iron series.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 12:16 pm

^ oh, THAT NASA

https://www.nasa.gov/missions/shuttle/f_hamradio.html

"Hamming it Up on the ISS

Amateur radio, also called ham radio, has become a fun way for average folks to communicate with International Space Station astronauts. Anyone with a scanner can listen to the communications that take place between Earth and space, and if you have a transmitter, you can take part in the conversations.

Amateur Radio On The International Space Station (ARISS) is a program that offers an opportunity for students to experience the excitement of Amateur Radio by talking directly with crew members of the ISS."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 8:11 pm

^ They're not worried about too many people trying to talk to them at once?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 8:31 pm

I read that the HAM radio on the ISS is only operated by astronauts when they are off-shift.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 8:40 pm

NASA are now using the same terminology for UFO as the US navy namely Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon or UAPs
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/faq-uniden ... a-uapsufos

No longer the stuff of the tin-foil hat community

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:02 pm

There was a British TV show called "UFO" around the same time that Star Trek was on first run in the US or a bit after - 1970-1971. It was a bit like "The Avengers" (the British Spys- 1961, Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg, not the US Superheros). It was all about a secret organization fighting off invading UFOs. They pronounced it "you FOE". It is kind of fun.

Tangent:
The series was revamped as "Space 1999" which was sort of a sequel. Entire episodes are on youtube. Wikipedia says - "UFO is a 1970 British science fiction television series about the ongoing covert efforts of a government defense organization to prevent an alien invasion of Earth. It was created by Gerry Anderson and Sylvia Anderson with Reg Hill, and produced by the Andersons and Lew Grade's Century 21 for Grade's ITC Entertainment company." Gerry and Sylvia had worked on Thunderbirds which featured a number of characters named for Astronauts - and had miniature special effects done by Gerry and Sylvia as well. All the "actors" were marionettes or puppets - the whole approach was called. Again, quoting Wikipedia "Thunderbirds is a British science fiction television series created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, filmed by their production company AP Films (APF) and distributed by ITC Entertainment. It was made between 1964 and 1966 using a form of electronic marionette puppetry (dubbed "Supermarionation") combined with scale model special effects sequences." The interesting part is that Lew Grade was later the producer of "The Muppet Show" so his successful experience with Thunderbirds made him open to taking a risk with "The Muppets" - which payed off. The Muppet Show was filmed in England (even though Jim Henson was born in the US) and that is how Jim and George Lucas met - which led to Frank Oz (Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggie and Burt) to to the puppeteering for Yoda in Star Wars Ep. V)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:59 pm

Fenn wrote:
The series was revamped as "Space 1999" which was sort of a sequel. Entire episodes are on youtube. Wikipedia says - "UFO is a 1970 British science fiction television series about the ongoing covert efforts of a government defense organization to prevent an alien invasion of Earth. It was created by Gerry Anderson and Sylvia Anderson with Reg Hill, and produced by the Andersons and Lew Grade's Century 21 for Grade's ITC Entertainment company."

Yes I remember Space 1999 :D

The concept has actually been around since the rather improvised cover-up at Roswell in 1947. Accounts of covert handling alien bodies gave rise to the conspiracy that the US government met with aliens etc...

But on the topic of NASA. For many years since the inception of the space race, NASA have been accused of covering up UFOs captured on their cameras. They have been strangely quiet on the subject until the last couple of years when this entry for UAPs suddenly (and weirdly) popped up on their FAQs.