Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm

Meat Loaf, Master of Operatic Rock, Dead at 74

Quote:
Meat Loaf, the singer and actor best known for his bestselling Bat Out of Hell albums and roles in films as varied as The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Fight Club, died Thursday at the age of 74.

The news was confirmed by the singer’s family in a post on his official Facebook page. A cause of death was not given.

Meat Loaf first found success on the Broadway stage in the groundbreaking musical Hair, and he had a brief, but memorable role in The Rocky Horror Picture Show as the ill-fated delivery boy Eddie — but it was his 1977 album Bat Out of Hell that turned him into a superstar and rock & roll icon.

The songs on Bat Out of Hell were written by stage composer Jim Steinman, but Meat Loaf’s boundless passion and bravado brought them to life in incredible ways. “I sang every song we ever did in character,” Meat Loaf told Rolling Stone in 2021. “I left me. I was not method. I didn’t have to find something in my past life to be able to sing his songs. I became the song.”

That explains why Meat Loaf always saw himself as a very unique figure in the rock world. “I’m different from Bette [Midler] or Cher or Sinatra,” Meat Loaf told Rolling Stone in 1993. “This might be a huge ego thing, but I tend to think of myself as the Robert De Niro of rock. I know that’s absurd, but my idols are either sports figures or Robert De Niro.”

The Robert De Niro of rock saw Bat Out of Hell go platinum 14 times over thanks to the hit singles “Paradise by the Dashboard Light,” “You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Nights),” and “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.” But the pressure to create a follow-up caused Meat Loaf to have an emotional breakdown, and he temporarily lost his singing voice.

It was the beginning of a dark chapter of his life marked by lawsuits, commercially disastrous records, and significant financial woes. “I felt like a leper,” Meat Loaf said in 1993. “I felt like I was on an island with my wife and my two daughters.”

But a miracle took place in 1993 when he re-teamed with Steinman to record Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell. The album went on to sell an astounding 14 million copies, thanks in large part to the worldwide hit single “I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That).” It’s one of the most stunning comebacks in rock history.

Marvin Lee Aday was born in Dallas, Texas, on Sept. 27, 1947. He was a chunky baby, and he claimed his father named him “Meat” when he was just four days old. His father was also a violent alcoholic that regularly beat him, and things at school weren’t much better since his large size caused the kids to mercilessly tease him. Things turned around in high school when his stature proved to be an asset on the football team. He also discovered he suddenly had a three-and-a-half-octave vocal range his sophomore year after a 12-pound shot landed on his head during a track and field event. (For the rest of his life, he believed the accident somehow created his singing voice.)

When Meat Loaf was just 18, his mother died after a long battle with breast cancer. Shortly after the funeral, his father lunged into the teenager’s bedroom in a state of drunken fury with a butcher knife in his hand. “I rolled off the bed just as he put that knife right in the mattress,” he said in 2018. “I fought for my life. Apparently I broke three ribs and his nose, and left the house barefoot in a pair of gym shorts and a T-shirt.”

Steinman and Meat Loaf formed a tight bond that only strengthened when they hit the road with the National Lampoon road show. Steinman played piano and Meat was the understudy to John Belushi, but during downtime they started to work on songs and dream of a collaborative album. It took a while to actualize, and in 1975, the partnership took a slight pause when Meat Loaf took the role of pompadoured motorcycle freak Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The duo finally managed to release Bat Out of Hell in October 1977, thanks to help from Steve Popovich of Cleveland International Records and producer Todd Rundgren.

Critics dismissed Bat Out of Hell as a ludicrously overblown mess, but relentless touring and an appearance on Saturday Night Live managed to win over a huge fan base. “Saturday Night Live broke the egg, and Bat Out of Hell spilled out all over the world,” Meat Loaf said last year. “We went from selling no records at the end of May to being five-times platinum. From that point on, I was always at 11. I would get up, go the morning radio, go to soundcheck, do interviews, do the show, sometimes go to a radio station after the show. I’d go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings.”

The attempt to record a follow-up was an absolute disaster. “The problem was with a million different forces — his manager, his lawyers, his vocal cords, his brain,” Steinman told Rolling Stone in 1993. “I actually just left. I spent seven months trying to make a follow-up to Bat Out of Hell with him, and it was an infernal nightmare. He had lost his voice, he had lost his house, and he was pretty much losing his mind.”

By the time he emerged from the madness in 1981 with Dead Ringer, Meat Loaf’s fans had moved on and the album was a huge commercial disappointment. Follow-up albums Midnight at the Lost and Found, Bad Attitude, and Blind Before I Stop fared even worse and Meat Loaf wound up declaring bankruptcy.

he never stopped touring, particularly in Europe where he maintained a loyal audience, and he found acting work in movies like Wayne’s World, Leap of Faith, and The Gun in Betty Lou’s Handbag.

Throughout this time, Steinman continued to write hits for the likes of Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, and Barbra Streisand. After years of talk and false starts, he finally got back together with Meat Loaf in 1993 for Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell.

The psychic was a bit off. Bat Out of Hell II became the least likely hit album of the grunge era, and leadoff single “I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” was, far and away, the biggest song of his entire career. The album hit Number One on the Hot 100, and he won a Grammy for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance.

Meat Loaf was suddenly a household name again, and he landed acting jobs in everything from Spiceworld to Nash Bridges — including a memorable role as Robert “b***h Tits” Paulson in Fight Club.

The follow-up albums to Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell were largely underwhelming affairs that were made without the cooperation of Steinman, and their attempt to craft a true Bat III fell apart when Steinman had a stroke. There were also many lawsuits between the two parties

Meat Loaf continued his heavy tour schedule through the 2000s, but the sheer physicality of his stage show began taking a toll on his health. He collapsed onstage in 2016 while singing “I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” at a show in Edmonton, Canada. It wound up being the last tour of his career.

When Rolling Stone caught up with him at his Texas home in 2018, he said he spent much of his time watching reruns of Law and Order and Blue Bloods, playing the online role-playing game Gladiator, and arguing with fans on his Facebook page. But he did acknowledge that his once-mighty singing voice wasn’t what it used to be.

When Steinman died in 2021, Meat Loaf spent two days on the phone with Rolling Stone talking about their long partnership, pausing occasionally to cry. “I don’t want to die, but I may die this year because of Jim,” he said. “I’m always with him, and he’s right here with me now. I’ve always been with Jim, and Jim has always been with me. We belonged heart and soul to each other. We didn’t know each other. We were each other.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 1:59 pm

Louie Anderson died as well.

https://apnews.com/article/louie-anderson-dead-6f70d371720c7519788ca6549d5b5c04

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 2:43 pm

He followed the dashboard light to paradise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Classic Rocker Meat Loaf dead at 74.
I felt sadness when I hear this news.

Then I read he was a covid anti-vaxxer and died from covid.

Now I feel kinda 'meh'.

May he rest in Paradise, anyway.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 5:27 pm

Damn.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm

RIP Meat :heart:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 5:48 pm

Two in one day...wow! :o

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 7:13 pm

Damn. Mom's gonna be upset. She loves Rocky Horror and she's still mourning Prince.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 7:48 pm

His name was Robert Paulson.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 8:51 pm

In the late Seventies the movie audience would dress up and act out in the theater to "Rocky Horror" (like throw rice at the wedding scene).

A friend in college was paid a few bucks a night by a movie theater to ...drive his little moped down the aisle of the movie theater in the middle of "Rocky Horror" at the moment Meatloaf makes his entrance onscreen in the movie on his Harley Hog.

Years later when I was working as a mobile deejay I would get requests for "Paradise" at wedding receptions. More than once the groomsmen would gather and act out and lipsync along with Meatloaf on one side of the dance floor while bridesmaids would do the same to the woman singer's part on the other side. Quite a site.

So his loss is oddly personal.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In the late Seventies the movie audience would dress up and act out in the theater to "Rocky Horror" (like throw rice at the wedding scene).

A friend in college was paid a few bucks a night by a movie theater to ...drive his little moped down the aisle of the movie theater in the middle of "Rocky Horror" at the moment Meatloaf makes his entrance onscreen in the movie on his Harley Hog.

Years later when I was working as a mobile deejay I would get requests for "Paradise" at wedding reception. More than once the crowd would spontaneous get on the dancefloor and act out the parts -groomsmen singing and acting along with meatloaf, and the bridesmaids responding in kind to the woman singer's part. Quite a site to see.

My favourite wedding memory ever was at my friend's wedding. They did just that. ^ Hundreds of guests in a fancy venue in their fancy clothes, with fancy drinks and sore feet. That song came on and everyone went crazy - split into two groups somehow and shouting the lyrics back and forth. It would have been very early 1990s. I didn't know it was a "thing" to do that at weddings but it was so fun.

Also I remember the first time I had it on in the car with my daughter. I was driving her to a university campus tour with her best friend (gay guy) and neither one of them knew the song. They were laughing so hard and made me play it about 30 times on repeat the whole drive there - with the two of them shouting lyrics back and forth once they got the hang of it.

Rest in peace Meat Loaf

(I read that his name was Marvin but he changed it to Michael).

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 9:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Years later when I was working as a mobile deejay I would get requests for "Paradise" at wedding receptions. More than once the groomsmen would gather and act out and lipsync along with Meatloaf on one side of the dance floor while bridesmaids would do the same to the woman singer's part on the other side. Quite a site.

Yeah, it seems like most public figures who pass away lately have some connection to my personal life in one way or another. Their art became part of the fabric of our lives, more important to the structure than we realized at the time.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 10:30 pm

RIP meatloaf.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:18 am

He hated it when his name would be spelled as one word.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 8:48 am

Misslizard wrote:
He followed the dashboard light to paradise.

Hot patootie bless his soul!

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 9:06 am

I remember when Meat Loaf started out (from my perspective) back in '77. I wasn't sure if I liked him or not.