Biden questions legitimacy of upcoming midterms

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 3:12 pm

Biden questions if US midterm elections will be 'legit'

Quote:
US President Joe Biden has suggested the 2022 midterm elections could be "illegitimate" as his plan to overhaul the voting system was blocked.

In a White House news conference, he argued voting integrity hinged on his bid to enact the most sweeping changes to US elections in a generation.

In his second-ever solo White House press conference on Wednesday, Mr. Biden was asked if November's congressional elections would be legitimate if he could not pass his voting plans.

"It all depends on whether or not we're able to make the case to the American people that some of this is being set up to try to alter the outcome of the election," he said, referring to stricter voting rules enacted by Republican state house

"I'm not saying it's going to be legit," Mr Biden said when asked about the possibility of fraud in the forthcoming elections that will decide the balance of power in Washington.

"The increase in the prospect of being illegitimate is in direct proportion to us not being able to get these reforms passed," the Democratic president continued.

Members of his own party quickly pushed back against the suggestion.

Ok, I get it the Democrats being in power are just saying words and not launching an actual insurrection. But they said I was paranoid when I predicted Trump would attempt one when he questioned the legitimacy of a then-upcoming election.
What Biden did is undercut all of us who try to argue that January 6th was the opposite of a nothing burger. He threw incendiaries on the Trump fire.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 4:32 pm

This was a huge political blunder, like forging an incredibly sharp dagger and honing it for years, only to plunge it into your own back. I've said this before, I thought Biden was going to be bad in a lot of ways, but I've been honestly shocked by how bad at politics his administration has been, not the policies themselves per se, but the way he's gone about trying to sell them to the American people, it's almost like he's trying to sink the party. It's been bad enough that I've had a few wry thoughts along the lines of "maybe I should have voted for Biden, he's doing more harm to the Democrats than anyone else I could have voted for" recently.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:05 pm

I question the legitimacy of the whole electoral system in which you have to be a multi-billionaire to stand a chance of taking part.

As for Biden, it looks to me like they asked him a question and he fell into the trap of answering it instead of just saying "no comment about the legitimacy as such." So now he's gone and opened the door for the righties to say "You're no better than Trump you hypocrite." Actually there's quite a difference between the two situations, so far. Trump asserted spontaneously and categorically that the election wasn't legitimate and tried to overturn the result, saying that really he'd won. Biden just gave a qualified answer to the question when he was asked. If the election goes against him and he instigates another storming of the Capitol, I'll change my mind.

But really, the whole game of politics is shot through with dirty tricks. All we're allowed to do is to try to decide which of two politicians is the least dirty or the least likely to make your life a misery. If you're below average wealth, the choice is probably Biden, but I don't expect he'll help you very much. If you're rich, you'd probably hold your nose and support Trump.

Me, I liked Biden's vice-presidential candidate, because when she debated the election with Pence, he kept interrupting her and she said "if you stop interrupting me then we can have a conversation." It's not much, but I hate people interrupting, it's usually an unfair thing to do.