Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 4:39 pm

Meanwhile packs of feral dogs are gathering…

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 2:31 am

Part 2.

Humanity may have come to a standstill, or perhaps even decimated in large numbers. That does not mean that the processes in my body are standing still. The processes in my intestines and bladder continue as usual. Driven by the consumed coffee, I already feel a bit of urgency. Fortunately, the cistern of my toilet is still completely full with tap water, two flushes are just enough. After going to the toilet I take a hacksaw from my toolbox and cut the downspouts on my balcony and gallery to about half a meter. Then I get a few empty paint buckets from my junk room and place them under the downspouts to collect rainwater. It is almost inevitable if this condition persists for a long time that the rainwater becomes drinkable without factories/cars/planes. At most a volcanic eruption can literally and figuratively throw a spanner in the works (rain). Until the day before yesterday I only had to switch on the radio, TV or the internet and I could read the weather forecast in more than 100 languages, which is no longer there. I don't know whether there will be a rain area tonight that will fill the still empty paint buckets with rain. I wasn't sure about that with Armand Pien or Jan Pelleboer, these weathermen could also be wrong. But now I am completely dependent on myself and nature, I am forced to live in the moment now. It is currently cloudy but whether it will rain today, I don't know. I will have to deal with the possible scarcity. At work I was the person who did the legionella inspections every week. Pure logic that the water pipes that are no longer under pressure, that these pipes will also become a source of all kinds of bacteria in the foreseeable future. As the processes of bladder and intestines continue with me, so will that be the case with that soulful dog at my neighbor's house. It is a very small dog, Pukkie is a Chihuahua. With a large screwdriver and hammer I enter my neighbor's house again. I smelled it right away, Pukkie had peed and pooped in the house. I decide to adopt Pukkie, and if my neighbor shows up again, the dog will just go back. Besides Pukkie, I also take a large bag of dog food with me to my own shelter. In times of scarcity, having a small stomach like a Chihuahua is an advantage. A small creature can live longer on the same amount of food as a Great Dane to take just one example of a large dog. I also take the basket where Pukkie sleeps in, it will feel just a little more familiar for the animal than in my bed.

To be continued.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 2:40 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I would look for trains. Probably find money and live off McDonalds for a while?

Walks into McDonalds...waiting to hear "Can I take your order please"...oh that's right, I'm the only human left on earth.

Let me order something on menulog

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 3:45 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Well... obviously my days would consist of ...looking for potable water, foraging for food, building shelter, and like that. Like Robinson Caruso. Basic physical survival.

What aspect of "politics, philosophy, and religion" are you going for by posing this question?

yeah spot on. the need for food, warmth, and clean water would probably dominate all aspects of life. i reckon most of us would last less than a year.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 11:09 am

I have my own water source and a wood lot.My main worry would be a medical emergency like a broke leg.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 3:14 am

Part 3.

It is the most natural thing in the world for dogs to eat and drink unheated food. Until the revolution that happened 2 weeks ago I had a gas stove and microwave. I still have them, but they won't work without gas and electricity. Reminds me of the philosopher Bas Haring, who once said that something is only useful if it is in connection/relation with something else (those + and those -). I have now unbaked those few eggs that are still in my not cooling refrigerator and eaten uncooked, it was not really tasty, but nutritious. A funny moment yesterday, I give Pukkie some carbonated spring water in her drinking bowl and she had to burp a few minutes later. Well girl, that's the sauerkraut, I mean the carbonation. Last week I was reminded of the movie "Into the wild", somewhere deep in the middle of nowhere in Canada, bivouacking in an abandoned greyhound. I have every confidence that the weather will warm up in a month or two. I say in a month or two and a half, but I've actually already lost the time. Is today Saturday or Sunday? Actually, it has never been Saturday and Sunday, Saturday and Sunday is 100 percent nurture. Today is today, and tomorrow is today, at least tomorrow, not today. A Christmas package from 12 years ago included a power bank, and that power bank works on electricity, but mine also has a solar charger. Have it connected to my smartphone, even though the charging is very slow in the current winter period, there is still power in my phone. Not to call or use the internet, but to watch the music and videos I've made with it. Now I'm also going to understand the musical instruments from prehistoric times, you don't need electricity at all for sound. Since until 2 weeks ago I only plucked my acoustic guitar during the day to prevent noise nuisance for my flatmates, I can now enjoy 'fur elise' by Beethoven and 'the sound of silence' by Simon & Garfunkel 24 hours a day. Only Pukkie looks up once when the sound box starts to reverberate. That sound of noises now even more beautiful and clearer on the street, only some free birds and a stray cat disturb this silence. My need for the Quetiapine is also minimal, in recent years I have built up a small stock. And if the need arises, the pharmacy is around the corner, they will have something in their warehouse that gives some sedation. An acoustic guitar doesn't need power, and neither does a mirror. And in that mirror I see a slight beard and mustache growing, these don't need electricity either, but my Philips shaver does. Fortunately, I still have some of that scraper on my left face at night to remove the excess hairs from my face, which continue to irritate electronic stimuli. I have food in my flat for another week. Later I will have to go on a thief's trail, am I actually a thief if I walk into Lidl and take the not yet spoiled food in a shopping bag outside without paying? There is no one to pay. I come back to the way of Bas Haring, money only has now if it is related. Coins and banknotes do not have steeds, but no longer as a means of payment. Until two weeks ago I would think a 50 euro bill as toilet paper would be a waste of 50 euros, but 50 euros is no longer 50 euros, it has become paper. It is also useful in combination with matches, although lighting a fire is never my hobby (fear) I do not conclude that this will become more and more daily fare. If only for cohesion S.O.S. to transmit signals. From those S.O.S. problems then being taken care of is another story. With time a solution will be found.

To be continued.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 3:51 am

Well, we'd have world peace.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 12:22 pm

Part 4.

The days and weeks pass, but I don't know what day it is. And I actually like that, now I can give more meaning to myself. Well 'can', I am forced to. In itself a nice feeling that I have never invested in stocks/derivatives/put options/bonds and the like. That whole mess is worth nothing now. Things only have value if they relate to something else. Coins and notes are now worthless. The latter does not appear to be entirely true, as it turned out the day before yesterday. Pukkie still has enough food, but my own gastrointestinal tract also needs food. And we ran out of supplies on some more tea bags and instant coffee and a pack of crispbread. Anyway, to come back to those coins that still retained their value. With a 1 euro coin I was able to score a shopping cart at the Albert Heijn. Normally I would have gone to Lidl, because it is cheaper, but convenience serves people. And so I went to the nearest supermarket and that was the AH. With a carbon mask I set out on foot (I have a car, but to save gas I went on foot anyway). Unbelievable what I found there in the supermarket, thanks to my carbon mask I didn't smell anything, but my eyes could see. All the frozen products were showing off the mushrooms/fungi in all the colors of the rainbow, and the freezer section with ice cream products had become a big gunk. I didn't smell it, but the smell did hit my eyes.
I have to admit that this time I opted for the A-brands, I'll just say the meat is weak. What products in my shopping cart did I come back to my apartment with?

Spa spring water, 3 packs of 6 bottles each.
12 liters of long-life whole milk.
3 packs of fruit muesli.
Paracetamol & ibuprofen.
Canned fish (tuna and herring in tomato/mustard sauce)
For Pukkie some bone bones.
Three packs of matches and some candles.
toilet paper (page)
Five cans of soup, 3x pea soup, and 2x Chinese tomato soup.
Toothpaste, 2 pieces (parodontax) Shampoo (andrelon) multivitamin and some anti-beard scrapers.
And I filled my backpack with all kinds of batteries.
Unfortunately no power banks at the AH.

Packed and dropped I returned to my flat. Normally I leave the shopping cart neatly at the gutter, but this time I confiscated the cart, thanks to the person who once invented the wheel. The elevator in my flat doesn't work anymore, there's nothing else to take the stairs. Again, there is a positive element in this, because of the physical activity I keep my body somewhat in shape. Sometimes a disadvantage is also an advantage, walking up and down a total of 5 times from the entrance hall to my flat. Pukkie greeted me cheerfully, wagging his tail, as I entered the living room. I do have Pukkie now, but what about my girlfriend Moosje? I had a LAT relationship with this four-legged friend, that T from LAT can be deleted. An LA relationship is possible, but then Moosje must be an L (living). Where I last saw them there was plenty of water to drink, and the relatively mild winter doesn't preclude her still being alive. I actually quite like a love triangle between Pukkie Moosje and myself. Moosje does have a much, much bigger stomach than Pukkie. Just a little while and then spring will come, a time of the year where there will be food in abundance, thoughts that keep me going for the last few days. The tax return that should normally have been submitted on April 1 is now also cancelled. Primitive life also has its beautiful sides.

To be continued.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 12:52 pm

No top shelf liquors?All that good champagne and wines just sitting there.
Tins of caviar, smoked oysters , smoked salmon, and olives and good jerky, high end coffee and teas.
Pick out the best house and take it over.
Go by the pharmacy and dispensary and load up.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 1:00 pm

I won't last more than a few minutes because I have zero survival skills.

Oh well. :roll:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 8:31 am

Misslizard wrote:
No top shelf liquors?All that good champagne and wines just sitting there.
Tins of caviar, smoked oysters , smoked salmon, and olives and good jerky, high end coffee and teas.
Pick out the best house and take it over.
Go by the pharmacy and dispensary and load up.

No liquor for me. My brain and drink like vodka is a bad combination. Because I take anti-psychotics every day, I would quickly get dizzy or have some kind of epilepsy. Vodka as a kind of cleaning agent or fuel might still be possible. Some years ago i was walking alone on the beach, just like the meaning in this topic. And during that walk i find a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka. :)

https://youtu.be/9hGrwNCjBvM

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 11:38 am

/\That’s a nice beach, good and private.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 12:15 pm

Erewhon wrote:
The end of time has come for humanity.
However, there is still 1 person alive on the planet, and that person is you.
What does your daily life look like then :?:

First thought is that I'm going to have to fold the sheets by myself.

Second thought is that the grocery store next door is gonna stink like no stink ever stank before when the power goes out and all the meats and fruits and vegetables and dairy products spoil.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

26 Feb 2022, 12:28 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
The end of time has come for humanity.
However, there is still 1 person alive on the planet, and that person is you.
What does your daily life look like then :?:

First thought is that I'm going to have to fold the sheets by myself.

Second thought is that the grocery store next door is gonna stink like no stink ever stank before when the power goes out and all the meats and fruits and vegetables and dairy products spoil.

That's perfect to dump on terrain. All those grocery seeds will grow neatly out of it.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Feb 2022, 8:55 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Well, we'd have world peace.

You would. I wouldn’t :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 10:26 pm

I'd better not break my glasses.
It would be the end of me if I couldn't read.