Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 10:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'd better not break my glasses.
It would be the end of me if I couldn't read.

There’s a Twilight Zone episode about that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_at_Last

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 10:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'd better not break my glasses.
It would be the end of me if I couldn't read.

There’s a Twilight Zone episode about that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_at_Last

Ha! My daughter told me about it a few weeks ago.
That's why I posted it.
The idea drove me mad!

Thanks for the link. I think I'll watch it.
I've never really seen Twilight Zone before. :twisted:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 10:38 pm

I would try to look for water, forage for food, and find shelter that would be needed.

However, I think I would easily go insane in part because I would not have
a supply of any of my medications.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 10:47 pm

You might have all the medicine you need if you go around to different pharmacies.
You'd have medicine aplenty!

I watched the Twilight Zone clip.
I think I'd go mad without my glasses because they can't be replaced even with cheapies.
Plus I'd need a giant vat of skin cream.
Just looking at him in the sun touching dry earth made me wanna die.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 11:04 pm

Reading glasses ,medications, sun screen,insect repellent ,toothpaste, and lotions.Just fill the cart up.
Better load up on the good chocolate before the bugs find it and toilet paper before the rats nest in it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 7:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You might have all the medicine you need if you go around to different pharmacies.
You'd have medicine aplenty!

Nope, I am given a 30-60 day supply for all of my medications.

I would have to do something dangerous; with one example being
to not take the actual dosage of my prescriptions.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2022, 2:47 am

Part 5.

It has now been over a month since a new reality presented itself. And in that month, my car has done no activity. Just as the credo 'rust rusts' applies to the homosapiens, the same also applies to metal. This morning during the crack of dawn I went for a walk with Pukkie, a small round. And at the end of the walk I wanted to let my car idle for a while. I don't know anything about anything, so I don't know anything about cars, but I do know that you can't leave a battery untouched forever. A battery is also subject to rust rust. While opening the door, a small light came on in the dashboard and on the ceiling of the car. And miraculously, no point of no return had occurred in that month. The car did simmer for a while when starting, a blue smoke from the exhaust, but after a minute it was as if nothing had happened at all. I still have an old washing machine in my storage room, and there is also a hose on that washing machine. This snake could come in handy in the coming spring and summer. With that hose I can transfer petrol from all other cars to my own voiture.
It is important that I do not refuel diesel or LPG. A whole fleet of vehicles at my disposal. Considering that scene my thoughts turned to the patch of earth some call Chernobyl. I should not let the rust-rust level that has seized power from that region get to that point, at least, I want to postpone that moment as far as possible. Quite funny actually, after letting my car run for a few minutes I take the keys out of the ignition, and with those same keys I lock my car. A smile appeared on my face, why am I locking my car? There is not a single homo sapien in fields or roads. To be on the safe side, I leave it locked anyway and I walk back to my flat with Pukkie. flat that I can actually call an above-ground cave. In order not to let my own body be destroyed by the rust, I will soon be washing the windows of my balcony and gallery. They're not that dirty anymore, but at least I have something to do. Last night I was reminded of the philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, one of his legacies is the quote “people like to be in the great outdoors, because it has no opinion about them”. There are some snags, but the feeling of 'free nature' has been growing in the last month. Rowing with the oars I have (if necessary I make one myself) gives quite a nice feeling. With the Wilhelmina Canal within walking distance, physical rowing could well take shape. Whether I get it in my heart to throw out a fishing rod in that rowing boat, and start catching fish with that rod. I don't know to give a slap on the head of the fish. Until a month ago I ate fish regularly, but fish is very perishable. The fresh fish department of the Albert Heijn was not to be seen at all. I have read that fatty fish is good for cholesterol, and in addition to being healthy, I also like it. Those animals in the supermarket have killed others for me, if I have to do it myself I'll do it differently.

To be continued.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2022, 3:51 am

No calling Uber now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2022, 4:57 am

i would cease eating and drinking and let nature take its course.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 1:09 pm

For those who understand Dutch/Flemish a listening video of the first 5 pieces / parts.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 10:08 am

Part 6.

The last man on earth & democracy.
Now that I am the only (at least, most likely) homosapien living on earth, an ultimate form of democracy has formed. The word democracy does have an origin from Greek where Demos means 'the people'. If I disregard that, it is always the credo at the moment. Most votes count, well votes, I mean vote.
Everything my mind decides has its approval of parliament in my skull. I am the full parliament, prime minister, president, opposition and coalition at the same time.
It's all nice and easy at the moment, no problem with referendums. My motion always gets passed, and if it's a motion of censure in my head, then it's no problem. I cannot come into conflict with any of my kind, which by the way does not mean that life has become harmless. I'm not a cardiologist, and if I were I'd estimate the chance very much
small in that I surgically implant a few new heart valves is not possible. I can't be under anesthesia and I can't be under anesthesia. Does Pukkie my dog ​​also have the right to vote in my democracy? I take good care of her, but I make the final decision whether/where/when we go for a walk.
I'm not sure, but I think there are probably still dogs around the world somewhere. Come to think of it, last night I did hear something that sounded like a wolf howling. Wolves are dogs too, and here in the piece of earth some then called Europe there were quite a lot of cars driving around. Cars (with people in them) were the greatest danger to a wolf's life.
The logic in my skull tells me that quite a few packs will grow in the near future. Wolves may be shy of me, but Pukkie likes them raw. While I am typing this on my Lenovo, she is sleeping wonderfully on the couch, and the sun that has been shining abundantly the last few days makes her extra sleepy. Due to the abundant sun, my laptop battery is also 95% full, charging is all very slow. But hey, I have the time to myself, and no one else. Could a Homo sapien and a bonobo actually mate, mate where they can bring offspring on Earth :?: Next to my dog ​​Pukkie I think it would be fine with some bonobos around me.
That flower-power that I taste with a bonobo gives me peace of mind, I've never heard that bonobos are aggressive. Chimpanzees and gorillas can whack quite a bit, even killing them sometimes. The problem with getting into a colony of bonobos is the distance, somewhere in central Africa they seem to live peacefully. Like the wolves here in Europe, the bonobos have to
In all likelihood, no more trouble with poachers. Just like elephants, now that humans no longer have a stamp of significance, life will develop very differently. At the Strait of Gibraltar I will have to swim or row a bit to get to Africa. For now it's only dreams what I can possibly do. A trip that is closer to Africa in terms of distance is Amsterdam.
Never stayed overnight in Krasnapolsky, I wouldn't be surprised if around 300 euros per night had to be paid for that at the time. What a curmudgeon I am, now that it's free I want to spend the night in a very expensive hotel. Amsterdam is a beautiful city in itself, but because of the hectic pace I have never felt at ease there. Amsterdam may be synonymous with freedom, but it is a freedom that was a prison to me. Just the whining of that jingling that those trams made was not good for my concentration.
I can totally see it in my mind, first staying two weeks in the Krasnapolsky, and then staying for two weeks in the Palijs op de Dam. I do write Palijs, but I think it is Palace according to the scholar. Well, another advantage of being the last person on earth, Palace/Palace is both/very good. Until a while ago, mankind made it difficult with all those language rules. I will generally observe the traffic rules, I mean the traffic rules when I go out with my Toyota for the first time. I no longer see the point in giving direction, but the speed rules remain important even now that I am apparently alone on earth. No more traffic jams on the A58 and A2, but crossing animals all the more, at least that's what I assume. When I go to Amsterdam I do take my smartphone with me to take pictures.
Bruges is also on my wish list, especially the Ezelstraat. Despite my social phobia, I still have fond memories of a hostel in that beautiful street. Hostel Snuffel was the name, hostel Snuffel Travelers-Inn. A hostel with all bunk beds, I can't imagine they have those in the Krasnapolsky. So, first save this scribble number 6 on my computer. And then I'm going to take a power nap.

To be continued.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 12:42 am

Part 7.

The last man on earth & waging war. During the weeks i hear the various bird species arguing, sometimes even arguing to the death. Since man has been on earth there are no signs that any significant war is going on.
Seems logical to me, because what other homo sapiens should i go to war with?
I can compete with other primates, but the only mutual homo sapien word is defeat against the chimpanzees and gorillas. They would show all corners of the room with their 7 times stronger muscle power. No, treading the warpath word an endless prayer.
However, if all canned fish is gone from the supermarket and i want to continue to eat animals, then sooner or later i will have to wage some kind of war, with the fish in the Wilhelmina Canal from the pigeons that contain themselves more and more air to reproduce much better. If i'm going to get really hungry, and i mean really hungry, then i know what i'm capable of when the survival instincts direct my behavior. Pukkie is doing reasonably well, although she does have 1 leg with which she limps a bit.
The nomad existence has been beckoning for a while. I soon found out that even for a nomad there are no beaten paths, and i mean that literally. Less than a month ago, i started filling my backpack with provisions for a week of 2 worth of food for myself and my four-legged friend. I start my Yaris, and on the Burgemeester Bechtweg i soon found out that time has stopped here too
stood. There were three large trees over the road that had been blown down in the February 18 storm. Even calling the ANWB is no longer an option. I have been there to go to the Piushaven, it used to be crowded there.
You could literally walk over the heads there. I can still walk there, but not over the heads.
In the past, there was not a hair on my head that thought of being the naturist/nudist. But since i am in the last man on earth there is no reason to be in adam's costume to enter/swim Piushaven. Surveillance cameras are still there, but none that can catch me naked. Also my darling's plants, weeds called rampant.
And as a result, the bees and other insects follow trends like swarms on the weeds. Well, how long will weeds be weeds? Since the revolution, weeds are no longer controlled.
With Darwin in mind, weeds grow weaker and weaker, just like man in his heyday, he himself becomes his greatest enemy.
After a lovely swim (together with Pukkie) we decide to go to sleep in the car.
With the windows ajar for fresh air, but not open enough for rats to sneak in. The time in my car is still on winter time, while the temperature shows that it has long since ceased to be winter.

The former hold of the calendar is gone, it is now always “NOW”

To be continued.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 1:54 am

The probability of being the last human on earth is as likely as being the first human to make contact with aliens

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 7:00 am

:twisted:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm

Erewhon wrote:
:twisted:

Would suck if it was a debt collector