McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to ‘Americans’

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:49 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Doesn't Biden usually admit that he misspoke? It's a life long joke that he misspeaks often, and he generally tries to play along and be "in" on the joke. It makes it easy to give mistakes an innocent attribution.

What McConnell should have done, IMHO, is say that he misspoke and is sincerely sorry for the very important but negligently omitted words"all____combined."

He isn't used to being in this position, I guess, and seems to be taking cues from Trump's approach, instead of Biden's. Only one is the winning approach, IMHO. I can't stand it when people are so afraid to admit their mistakes that they double down and try to prove the mistake wasn't one. Weirdly, half the country seems to prefer the double down. I'll never get it.

The thing you're missing is that McConnell doesn't have a compliant media looking to make excuses for him, and that necessitates a different playbook. Biden has a long history with weird racial rhetoric, "they want to put y'all back in chains" being just one famous example that can't be chalked up to misstatement, as well as his well known coziness with actual segregationist Democrats back in the 70s, and yet the media makes excuses for him before he even has to, while McConnell is deliberately mischaracterized. You can see it here in this thread, people coming right out and saying that they're going to go with the worst possible reading because they don't like the man's politics truth be damned, it's quite revealing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:41 pm

For all his gaffes, I don't recall Biden ever saying something to the extent that blacks weren't somehow real Americans, or that real Americans are white. I think it's more a matter of McConnel's regional prejudices he had been raised with slipping out of his mouth.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:46 pm

If you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black.

They want to put ya’ll back in chains.

the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean

grow up in a racial jungle

You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent

Are you a junkie?

Search for his speech on the 94 crime bill.

Last edited by txfz1 on 23 Jan 2022, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
For all his gaffes, I don't recall Biden ever saying something to the extent that blacks weren't somehow real Americans, or that real Americans are white. I think it's more a matter of McConnel's regional prejudices he had been raised with slipping out of his mouth.

I can't rely on what I don't remember so I can't say what Biden's verbal history looks like. I can say that his relationship with the black community, according to the thought leaders I listen to, seems to have been based on action more than words, and can be lost if that action ends. I don't have the details, just know the loyalty is there ... but only to a point.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm

Yeah, Biden has said some creepy, racist stuff. Anybody remember this one?

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... 26page%3D1

Oscar Meyer Lansky

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:26 pm

he's still not trumpy.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Doesn't Biden usually admit that he misspoke? It's a life long joke that he misspeaks often, and he generally tries to play along and be "in" on the joke. It makes it easy to give mistakes an innocent attribution.

What McConnell should have done, IMHO, is say that he misspoke and is sincerely sorry for the very important but negligently omitted words"all____combined."

He isn't used to being in this position, I guess, and seems to be taking cues from Trump's approach, instead of Biden's. Only one is the winning approach, IMHO. I can't stand it when people are so afraid to admit their mistakes that they double down and try to prove the mistake wasn't one. Weirdly, half the country seems to prefer the double down. I'll never get it.

The thing you're missing is that McConnell doesn't have a compliant media looking to make excuses for him, and that necessitates a different playbook. Biden has a long history with weird racial rhetoric, "they want to put y'all back in chains" being just one famous example that can't be chalked up to misstatement, as well as his well known coziness with actual segregationist Democrats back in the 70s, and yet the media makes excuses for him before he even has to, while McConnell is deliberately mischaracterized. You can see it here in this thread, people coming right out and saying that they're going to go with the worst possible reading because they don't like the man's politics truth be damned, it's quite revealing.

I wouldn't use the word missing so much as interpreting differently. According to the black community thought leaders I listen to, Biden had a strong history of favorable actions coming into this presidency, and actions speak louder than words. To be fair, his presidency and words as president have disappointed them so far, but that is outside the current point.

In real life, I know the people who misspeak a lot, and those who speak with intention. I do take the words each says differently, although I will check back cautiously with the later if they say something that feels off. Why would the media be different with politicians? They develop that rapport, they know who is intentional and who is prone to gaffs. It isn't like Biden doesn't have his gaffs pointed out.

But current actions do speak volumes and voting fairness seems to be extremely high on the black communities radar right now. McConnell is currently aligning with those who want to make it more difficult to vote, not easier, and even if he said the sentence correctly, I suspect it would have been felt that he didn't "get it." Small example, but I've never had to wait in a long line to vote, yet those in predominantly black communities in Georgia and Texas did. If those images are as representative of the black experience as activists say they are, the fact that the black community did, in fact, manage to vote despite the obstacles is not a testament to the fairness of the system. It is testament to the communities determination to persist despite the system. So, I'll admit, McConnell can't win here no matter what he says. His full history of judicial appointments and other actions precedes his words.

All that said, there is a vindictiveness in most modern media and pubic discourse that I have a lot of trouble with. There is no grace for mistakes or differences, it's all about finding a "gotcha" moment on an opponent. I'm very drawn to the media articles that discuss the phenomenon, and self-dissect. It is really important to realize we're taking our eyes off the ball as a result.

McConnell in recent decades constructed a chess game that will prove to a be huge net loss for most of us, and especially people of color. Issues like the one under discussion are a distraction from the more important game. IMHO.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:40 pm

"Favorable actions?" You mean like being one of the authors of the 1994 crime bill which exploded the prison population, which included a large percentage of people of color for nonviolent crimes?

Go check out some of the speeches he gave pushing that bill. It's blood curdling.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:44 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
"Favorable actions?" You mean like being one of the authors of the 1994 crime bill which exploded the prison population, which included a large percentage of people of color for nonviolent crimes?

Go check out some of the speeches he gave pushing that bill. It's blood curdling.

We have the privilege of looking back with a lens that was not available in 1994. That crime bill was heavily favored across party lines, if I recall. I doubt there is a Democrat alive who doesn't regret falling for the ruse. Most have admitted it, as far as I can tell.

Positive action doesn't require perfection. It requires a willingness to change in accordance with what is actually happening.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:51 pm

Where the long lines due to covid restrictions or existing laws?

I’ve scanned the Georgia/Texas laws and fail to see where they are restricting voting. I could be wrong, if so please point me in the right direction.

Same with Biden’s action before coming into office. The ‘90s crime bill? The Thomas hearings? The ‘77 desegregation? His association with Byrd and Thurman? I see a long history of lies and racism.

Am I truly that blind?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm

I could couldn't care less about party lines. You have to remember Bill Clinton shifted the Democratic Party way to the right and got in bed with all the same corporate interests that run the Republican Party.

Being an apologist for Democrats will only keep our country circling the drain.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:05 pm

txfz1 wrote:
Where the long lines due to covid restrictions or existing laws? I’ve scanned the Georgia/Texas laws and fail to see where they are restricting voting. I could be wrong, if so please point me in the right direction. Same with Biden’s action before coming into office. The ‘90s crime bill? The Thomas hearings? The ‘77 desegregation? His association with Byrd and Thurman? I see a long history of lies and racism. Am I truly that blind?

none so blind as those who are not seeing. many texans only get one day off a week. most choose to have sunday off, and businesses like Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby even close to ensure they can go to church with their families. But Texas’ SB 7 [voting restriction law] significantly reduced Sunday voting hours, forcing American citizens to choose between going to church or exercising their right to vote. also, SB7 was written to allow a single judge to overturn an entire election without any evidence of fraud needed. that means that one man could have overturned an election, no questions asked, just because he disagreed with the outcome. politicians and judges aren't supposed to decide our leaders in lieu of the people.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:13 pm

SB7 extended the early voting hours. Texas allows you to take off to vote, IIRC. I will research the election judge overturning as I didn’t see it in my first run at it.

Last edited by txfz1 on 23 Jan 2022, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:15 pm

txfz1 wrote:
When has there ever been a vote on Sunday? First Tuesday in Nov? SB7 extended the early voting hours. I will research the election judge overturning as I didn’t see it in my first run at it.

in my state we can vote several weeks before the election. nothing wrong there. not everybody can take time off of work to vote on just the first tuesday.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:21 pm

txfz1 wrote:
If you don’t vote for me, you ain’t black.

They want to put ya’ll back in chains.

the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean

grow up in a racial jungle

You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent

Are you a junkie?

Search for his speech on the 94 crime bill.

Biden's never opposed voting rights. On the contrary, he's championing them. It's McConnel's right that's throwing up this or that restriction to keep minority and poor voting down in order to lower the Democratic vote, and to get the continued support of the extreme right that were never happy with civil rights or voting rights.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:23 pm

if only the GOPers would man up and come out and ADMIT what the rest of the world already knows, that among themselves they talk about how the rest of us have no business voting or having any say at all in how our country is run. at best, they see the rest of us [the non=white non=wealthy non=talented non=connected] as 2nd-class citizens if indeed they see us as citizens at all.