McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to ‘Americans’

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:32 pm

Sorry, not to argue but show me where in the laws. Voter ID, no. The only area I would agree is gerrymandering but then both sides cancel each other. Water handouts, no. Long lines, no. Texas has a ton of early voting and iirc, the long lines were during primaries . Show and be specific.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:42 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:43 pm

txfz1 wrote:
Sorry, not to argue but show me where in the laws. Voter ID, no. The only area I would agree is gerrymandering but then both sides cancel each other. Water handouts, no. Long lines, no. Texas has a ton of early voting and iirc, the long lines were during primaries . Show and be specific.

What's wrong with providing water for people standing in line in the heat? That and ensuring long lines are meant to discourage voting.
Try getting an ID when the licensing offices in your neighborhood have been conveniently shut down if you live in a black or poor neighborhood.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:46 am

txfz1 wrote:
Where the long lines due to covid restrictions or existing laws?

I’ve scanned the Georgia/Texas laws and fail to see where they are restricting voting. I could be wrong, if so please point me in the right direction.

Basic manipulation.

Somehow in Georgia there are more polling stations per eligible voter in wealthier predominantly white counties than there are in poorer predominantly black counties.

And recently Texas adds a law allowing only one drop box per county, knowing full well the poorer predominantly black counties are larger and serve more people who won't have the transportation to make it to their one drop box.

All these little things add up, and amount to real life, but cleverly disguised, voter suppression.

Or the time my co-worker tried to register in Pennsylvania with her passport and her mother in tow, but was sent back for an original birth certificate when no one white in line using a passport was.

I can't possibly summarize it all here. Pay attention to the deep research articles that come up on the topic. It's subtle and complex, with very real effects. It's easy for conservative pundits to laugh at it, and say it's all in someone's imagination, but that is the point, and that is why it works. More clever and more subtle than the literacy tests of the early 20th century, but similar effect.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 5:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
if only the GOPers would man up and come out and ADMIT what the rest of the world already knows, that among themselves they talk about how the rest of us have no business voting or having any say at all in how our country is run. at best, they see the rest of us [the non=white non=wealthy non=talented non=connected] as 2nd-class citizens if indeed they see us as citizens at all.

No, they don't. I've been immersed in right wing politics for over 20 years at this point, and what you're describing is not reality, not even close to it. Not that you'll listen, as attached to this victim fantasy as you clearly are, but that's just what it is, a fantasy, and I'd appreciated it if you stopped making claims that aren't true, it makes everyone worse off and wastes everyone's time and energy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 5:17 am

Dox47 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
if only the GOPers would man up and come out and ADMIT what the rest of the world already knows, that among themselves they talk about how the rest of us have no business voting or having any say at all in how our country is run. at best, they see the rest of us [the non=white non=wealthy non=talented non=connected] as 2nd-class citizens if indeed they see us as citizens at all.

No, they don't. I've been immersed in right wing politics for over 20 years at this point, and what you're describing is not reality, not even close to it. Not that you'll listen, as attached to this victim fantasy as you clearly are, but that's just what it is, a fantasy, and I'd appreciated it if you stopped making claims that aren't true, it makes everyone worse off and wastes everyone's time and energy.

Really? No true Scotsman sort of thing, huh? So, there aren't any conservatives at all who don't hold those abhorrent ideals?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 5:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Really? No true Scotsman sort of thing, huh? So, there aren't any conservatives at all who don't hold those abhorrent ideals?

I'm sure there are, but not many, and conservative politics plays out nothing like Blabby's delusions.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 6:02 am

(clicky)Between January 1 and September 27, at least 19 states enacted 33 laws that make it harder for Americans to vote
my cat knows that all these claims of "voter fraud" are baseless, and that is putting it charitably. this puts moscow mitch mcconnell's statement [about black voting levels] in perspective.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 7:07 am

Dox47 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'll have to see if I can find it, but some GOP heavyweight was caught on record saying the equivalent of "we don't want everyone to vote," the implication being that large groups of people are too dumb to vote and, thus, should be structurally prevented from voting. Further implication being that most of those "dumb" people vote Democratic (consistent with the often repeated line that Democrats offer "free stuff" and that is why they get votes).

Now ... we both know some voters are woefully uniformed, and some people really are dumb, but most of us also believe that who falls into what group isn't for politicians - or anyone else, really - to decide. It's either one vote per citizen or it isn't, and I have seen plenty of evidence that the GOP is trying to create structure to diminish that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 7:19 am

It should be remembered that only people who owned substantial land were able to vote until the mid 19th century. Relatively universal (male) suffrage didn’t really happen until maybe 1850 or so…but especially after the Civil War. Females were rarely allowed to vote until 1920 (in some territories, females could vote during the late 19th century for state and local elections).

We have to ensure universal suffrage under conditions where it is easy for people to vote.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 7:48 am

Black people vote at similar rates to other Americans.

Fixed it for him.

People should be amazed that a turtle can even talk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:13 am

I guess he should have said white Americans huh. God people are so nitpicky and stupid.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:51 am

auntblabby wrote:

Bans 24 voting and drive thru, that one is kinda interesting as it was the 2020 election where they stopped the count? This still does not restrict voting, as the majority of people vote during the early voting period. These measures were implemented during covid and were not codified in the bill.

Voter ID, are ya’ll seriously believing people cannot get IDs in this day? That is an insult to every adult as there are very few cases where it is applicable.

unsolicited mail in ballots, how does this restrict voting? It does reduce the fraud.

Training poll watchers does not restrict voting. Making the voting process more credible is good. I want to know my vote is counted.

Caregivers have to fill out a form if they assist in voting, the horrors.

Monthly roll check only restricts voters that have died or moved. In Texas, if you move and have not updated your registration, you can still vote at the new location. The vote is flagged and the counters have to check for accuracy.

CNN is a terrible resource.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:38 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
Where the long lines due to covid restrictions or existing laws?

I’ve scanned the Georgia/Texas laws and fail to see where they are restricting voting. I could be wrong, if so please point me in the right direction.

Basic manipulation.

Somehow in Georgia there are more polling stations per eligible voter in wealthier predominantly white counties than there are in poorer predominantly black counties.

And recently Texas adds a law allowing only one drop box per county, knowing full well the poorer predominantly black counties are larger and serve more people who won't have the transportation to make it to their one drop box.

All these little things add up, and amount to real life, but cleverly disguised, voter suppression.

Or the time my co-worker tried to register in Pennsylvania with her passport and her mother in tow, but was sent back for an original birth certificate when no one white in line using a passport was.

I can't possibly summarize it all here. Pay attention to the deep research articles that come up on the topic. It's subtle and complex, with very real effects. It's easy for conservative pundits to laugh at it, and say it's all in someone's imagination, but that is the point, and that is why it works. More clever and more subtle than the literacy tests of the early 20th century, but similar effect.

I’m not laughing, voter fraud is real and difficult to prove after the count. I want to know my vote counts, otherwise why even bother. It is the only voice I have in gov’t other than protesting. Increasing the voter count security will have an affect to the fraud but hopefully if more people think their vote counts, there will be a larger voter turnout and that is a good thing for all.

CNN thinks training poll watchers is suppressing the vote, I find it hard to believe that was the only reason your coworker was turned away but I wasn’t there. If this was the same day registration, I think the paperwork should be in order and would rather it be banned altogether.

Are any of the studies showing actual affect? I’m not saying people are not affected, just I’ve not seen the numbers where the vote is suppressed. The minority vote turnout for the 2020 election was high, iirc.

Absentee ballots should be mailed before and drop boxes are only for the Tuesday vote. The Fed courts agreed with Abbott that they failed to show the justification for the need of multiple drop boxes. Is this a real issue? I think Abbott could have compromised and allowed more than one for major cities.

I do agree reducing the polling stations will suppress the vote. If they increased the early voting and can prove the polling stations are redundant, then I would agree to closing. In Texas, the Houston polling station I used was mostly empty when I last voted. I like the tradition of voting on Tuesday and lived in a very congested area. Another could be reason, Georgia is mostly rural and the wealthy are located in the major cities which would have more polling stations. I would have to research deeper to know if this was the case.

Thank you for the response, I appreciate the conversation.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

What's wrong with providing water for people standing in line in the heat? That and ensuring long lines are meant to discourage voting.
Try getting an ID when the licensing offices in your neighborhood have been conveniently shut down if you live in a black or poor neighborhood.

Nothing and poll watchers can, it only bans outsiders from providing the water, same as limiting the signs near the polling station. People are allowed water in the lines. Who and how many people do not have an ID today?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 3:06 pm

txfz1 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

Nothing and poll watchers can, it only bans outsiders from providing the water, same as limiting the signs near the polling station. People are allowed water in the lines. Who and how many people do not have an ID today?

What's wrong with concerned citizens, or family or friends bringing voters water? Perhaps it's intended to encourage voters to go home without voting when standing in line too long?
Sure most people have ID's, but it's suspicious that licensing offices in certain neighborhoods get closed down.