Page 3 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:12 am

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
. . . Would you like to be operated on by a hands-on trained surgeon or one that just watch videos online? . . .
Sadly, there are some people on this very website who treat online videos as absolute truth.

Ive seen folks treat videos as evidence to site in arguments. The same way folks quote books, and articles in print. But never seen anyone use them as "absolute truth".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I’ve seen folks treat videos as evidence to site in arguments . . . never seen anyone use them as "absolute truth".
Next time you see a video being used that way, point out the inaccuracies in the video, and the video-maker’s lack of expertise on the topic in the video.

Do not be surprised that the reaction is taken as an attack on the person who posted the video.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
. . . Would you like to be operated on by a hands-on trained surgeon or one that just watch videos online? . . .
Sadly, there are some people on this very website who treat online videos as absolute truth.

I had some student try to replicate experiments from online videos. They came to a consensus that most of them were either lacking important information or were outright incorrect in the procedure.

QuantumChemist wrote:
. . . As for the professor who killed himself, he was in the wrong on how he treated others. He made the choice to do what he did, no one else made him do it. A lesson of being human can be found in his death though: No one deserves to be bullied, nor to be a bully. The Golden Rule always applies.
One could then rightfully say that he did unto others as he wanted them to do unto him.

That is the dark S/M version of the Golden Rule.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:32 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One could then rightfully say that he did unto others as he wanted them to do unto him.
It is what has kept me sane and safe since junior high school, when I realized that turning the other cheek just earned me more beatings. By contrast, bullies hate it when their victims fight back; they hate it even more when their victims fight back and win. I will be nice until someone crosses me, then the gloves come off.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:54 am

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It is what has kept me sane and safe since junior high school, when I realized that turning the other cheek just earned me more beatings. By contrast, bullies hate it when their victims fight back; they hate it even more when their victims fight back and win. I will be nice until someone crosses me, then the gloves come off.

I will admit I have used that version when I was bullied in junior high school. It did not matter how nice I was, my classmates hated me. So, I gave them good reasons to hate me after they pushed me past a limit. Giving their football playbook to the other school teams they competed against was just a beginning. “If they cannot love you, make them hate you” was my motto at the time. I was good at that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:00 pm

I honestly have a harder time feeling sympathy for bullies and bigots out there when they commit suicide. Because they couldn't handle consequences to their actions when students protested and spoke up and didn't feel comfortable being his student? To hell with this man mental issues. No one should be coddled and they should be held accountable when they choose to express their opinions.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:

How many punch ups did you get in?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 6:50 pm

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That is not a quantity worth tracking.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 7:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That is not a quantity worth tracking.

I'll take that as countless then lol.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s false to say trans people are “mentally ill.”

A big problem that still has a strong presence to this day is convincing transphobic people otherwise.

(Example: My own mom who enjoys hating LGBTQ+ people even though many of her former co-workers identified themselves as LGBTQ+ over the course of twenty years.)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:15 pm

It's tragic that he chose to be a bully. It's tragic that he chose to end his life.

It's heroic that people stood up to his bullying and vitriol and attempted to hold him accountable.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:36 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:

As a university professor (non-tenure track), ..

I really appreciated that you shared your thoughts on the topic.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 10:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

It’s sad the professor killed himself, and he didn’t deserve his fate…..but he shouldn’t have said those things.

Yes. It was his ultimately own fault that he committed suicide, but he certainly did not deserve to die & his haters drove him to his suicide, essentially. Unfortunately he was not strong enough to withstand their cyber-bullying.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 12:59 am

Dox47 wrote:
David French wrote a long article about this when it happened, he'd known the man in question for years and represented him in a 1st Amendment lawsuit against his university (that he won):

https://frenchpress.thedispatch.com/p/a ... lament-for

Quote:
from article:

Judging from the worst voices on Twitter, some people don’t seem to believe that the world was wide enough for Mike, and for them. But it was. It must be, or we are lost.

Thanks for this.

Social media is turning us into our own worst enemies. I wish I knew how to stop it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 2:30 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It’s sad the professor killed himself, and he didn’t deserve his fate…..but he shouldn’t have said those things.

Yes. It was his ultimately own fault that he committed suicide, but he certainly did not deserve to die & his haters drove him to his suicide, essentially. Unfortunately he was not strong enough to withstand their cyber-bullying.

It may be unfortunate that he was, by his own standards, "a weak pansy", but where in the article does it say that he was bullied online?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 2:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It may be unfortunate that he was, by his own standards, "a weak pansy", but where in the article does it say that he was bullied online?

"Adams, who was a tenured professor at the university, had been forced to take early retirement following two student petitions to have him ousted for posting inflammatory remarks on social media."

Having petitions to quell a persons free speech for saying something they believe to be true, or even saying such a thing in jest, is by definition, cyber-bullying.

Removing a persons free speech by social force is tantamount to violating a persons human rights, under British law & even more so under American law.

Those petitioning in this scenario, need to be sent to a communist country where they belong.