Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 12:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The only support "they" need from "us" is the removal of racist laws and the politicians who enact them.  Remove the institutional barriers, stand back, and watch them thrive.
That is what being an ally is and thinking the professor got the consequences for his behavior is also being an ally as well by being supportive of people who stood up to him.  It's interesting that the right wing propaganda tries and twist this to saying that the minorities are weak and not smart enough and inferior.
It is not just the Right that says this (as an excuse for denying minorities equal rights); it is also the Left that says this (as an excuse for Affirmative Action and other programs benefitting minorities).
And do you know why programs exist to help benefit minorities? It's because of systemic racism. . .
When preference is given to people because of their race, that is racism.  When preference is given to people because of their sex/gender, that is sexism.

How about just ensuring that "the doors are open" equally for everyone regardless of their Age, Disability, National Origin, Race/Color/Ethnicity, Religion, or Sex/Gender?  Preferences are discriminatory.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:49 pm

League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
It's called being an ally. Minorities need support from us. The issue is so many people ignore it because it doesn't affect them so it's not their problem. This is what makes us an accomplice. Imagine how it felt to be picked on at school and only you had to fend for yourself. No one ever stood up for you. So you feel no one cared about you.

This is why we need allys. Bully victims need others to stand up against their Bully. Minorities need white people to stand up to bigots for them, they are practicing their free speech by standing up to him. He couldn't handle it.

Except that he (the professor) is the minority in the situation, and those who perceive themselves as the minority, are in fact the majority - and also function as the bullies.

So if a bunch of students stood up for you to your bully, they all would be the bullies and your bully would be the minority?

Do you realize how bad this is sounding, you are being a bully apologist here.

I am not being a bully apologist here. You are.

Okay, imagine a scenario where a professor is in a classroom of 50 students, saying things that are triggering them politically as part of a intellectual discussion. Instead of the students finding a different professor to listen to, a group of 50 students follow the professor to an entirely different location to the classroom they originated in.

All 50 start throwing physical objects at the professor, screaming & howling abusively & angrily in the direction of the professor.

That is essentially what happens on the internet with these cyber-bullies trolling professors'.

Please stop gaslighting. Thanks.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:54 pm

I'm going to lean into the conversational drift a bit here and point out that a lot of the rhetoric about systemic racism and it's impact on minorities is contradicted by the experience of non-white immigrants, particularly Asians, but including black African and Caribbean peoples, who not only thrive here despite facing the same racial discrimination that supposedly holds back our native born minorities in addition to culture and language shocks, but often out earn American whites on a per capita basis. Benevolent racism is still racism, there's a reason that it's often hard to tell woke rhetoric from white supremacist rhetoric if you strip out the buzzwords, it frequently amounts to the same thing, treating people as inferior because they don't think they're capable of doing what is expected of everyone else.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:57 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
It's called being an ally. Minorities need support from us. The issue is so many people ignore it because it doesn't affect them so it's not their problem. This is what makes us an accomplice. Imagine how it felt to be picked on at school and only you had to fend for yourself. No one ever stood up for you. So you feel no one cared about you.

This is why we need allys. Bully victims need others to stand up against their Bully. Minorities need white people to stand up to bigots for them, they are practicing their free speech by standing up to him. He couldn't handle it.

Except that he (the professor) is the minority in the situation, and those who perceive themselves as the minority, are in fact the majority - and also function as the bullies.

So if a bunch of students stood up for you to your bully, they all would be the bullies and your bully would be the minority?

Okay, imagine a scenario where a professor is in a classroom of 50 students, saying things that are triggering them politically as part of a intellectual discussion. Instead of the students finding a different professor to listen to, a group of 50 students follow the professor to an entirely different location to the classroom they originated in.

All 50 start throwing physical objects at the professor, screaming & howling abusively & angrily in the direction of the professor.

That is essentially what happens on the internet with these cyber-bullies trolling professors'.

If I'm gaslightjng, you are and so is everyone else defending him. Please stop misusing gaslighting thanks. Having a different perspective isn't gaslighting. Thanks.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

If I'm gaslightjng, you are and so is everyone else defending him. Please stop misusing gaslighting thanks. Having a different perspective isn't gaslighting. Thanks.

What you are saying is not merely a different perspective. It is an objective untruth.

In any situation, if a person is combatting opponents that far outnumber themselves, they are being bullied, however big they may seem to those bullying that person.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:29 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What you are saying is not merely a different perspective. It is an objective untruth.

In any situation, if a person is combatting opponents that far outnumber themselves, they are being bullied, however big they may seem to those bullying that person.

It is not the untruth. The professor was a bully and i find it ironic on your profile you say you support LGBT but yet here you are going against it because you are defending someone who attacked them online with their comments and people stood up to it and others supported them as well. You think throwing things and shouting at someone is the same as standing up to someone who is anti LGBT.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:31 am

Oh yeah I guess my parents bullied my school because they had to involve other people to advocate for me because they were abusing me.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 4:08 am

League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

It is not the untruth. The professor was a bully and i find it ironic on your profile you say you support LGBT but yet here you are going against it because you are defending someone who attacked them online with their comments and people stood up to it and others supported them as well. You think throwing things and shouting at someone is the same as standing up to someone who is anti LGBT.

I am a male-to-female transgender individual.

Freedom of speech & opinion are crucial, essential tenets of individual liberty. There is no incongruence in my position.

Even if a person doesn't share my personal values - I fully support their right to promote their own values.