Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:35 pm

I've never had a brain freeze before despite trying numerous times over the years. I've chugged slurpees (both with and without straws), smashed things like ice cream (and ice cubes) onto the roof of my mouth, and it never comes. *shrugs* I know people say they're awful, but I still want to know how they feel.

I have this on my mind right now because I just devoured a milkshake pretty quickly. Same as always, I'm freakin cold now, but still nothing on the brain freeze front.

Anyone else never get those things?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:40 pm

I've tried to bring them on but have never succeeded. I tend to be hyposensitive in general to temperature and injuries.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm

Yeah I get brain freeze all right! It's just like a bad migraine behind your eyes and on your forehead. It only lasts a few seconds but can be extremely painful.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 6:52 pm

I've been lost for thought, a mental freeze, but nothing physical.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 7:19 pm

Well, how do you like them apples. It's not a just me thing. Neat. :D

Over the years, I've gotten curious and done a little reading around about why some people don't get them. There's not a ton of info out there, but there is a bit...nothing concrete. It appears the verdict is still out on this one.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 7:31 pm

I get them from chugging slushies. We used to get small cups of Slush Puppy in middle school, and we'd all down them like a shot, and then wince in pain. Guy stuff =)

I don't think anything else affects me, I didn't know it was supposed to...not Slurpees, ice cream, or ice cubes. Only slushies.

Idunno if you can find a place that still sells them to try it out, they're pretty hard to find these days.
I found a pharmacy near me that sells Slush Puppies, but you "do it yourself". The machine dispenses slushy ice into your cup, and you add your own flavor syrup. Blue (raspberry?) was always my favorite, but they didn't have it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

I'm one of those rare people who never get headaches. I don't know what a migraine feels like. I've never experienced one during my worst hangovers.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:10 am

I do remember slush puppies. I don't know if any place around here sells them. There's a seasonal place that sells apple cider ones, but I'll be waiting on next fall for that one. I'll keep an eye out though. I know I've had them before (and agreed, blue raspberry is the best flavor), but I don't know if I've ever tried to give myself a brain freeze with one. Hm.

I find the idea of never getting a headache to amazing. I started getting migraines as a kid but grew out of them in my twenties. Then sometime in my mid to late thirties I started getting these headaches that a doctor seemed to think were cluster headaches. Thankfully they only came on sporadically and only over the course of five years or so. These days if I get a headache (I don't get them often), chances are I'm dehydrated or stressed out. But for a few years there, my headaches were problematic. Good on you for dodging them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:20 am

Have had brain freeze from...glancing at the pic of a hawt model on a store wall.

Ive gotten brief headaches from biting into ice cream.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm

Never gotten an ice cream headache.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 1:47 pm

I get brain freeze, but I react less to it. Other people seem to be in a lot of pain from it and the headache I get just feels more like a bit of tension than anything.

I also used to never have headaches, though now I occasionally get migraines after a vertebrae in the middle of my spine moved.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm

I never had brain freeze from drinking cold foods and beverages.

Because my cold intolerance would beat me to it. It won't let me consume a lot enough of cold stuff to consequently cause a brain freeze.

I had a lot of toothaches, respiratory and breathing pains, and plenty of chest pains from consuming cold foods and drinks instead.
Even hand pain from holding some.

But never headaches. Never migraines.

Unless it's indirect like worsening my chronic rhinitis, causing some swelling akin to tonsilitis, sheer stress from cold intolerance and causing cough and cold.

Sinusitis alone could bring me a lot of headaches.
Which is, unfortunately, a lot. On regular basis.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 3:49 pm

I'm very sensitive to ice cold drinks, especially slushies. Sometimes I'll buy them in the summer when it's hot out, but I usually have to wait for them to melt a bit so I don't get a mouthful of shaved ice and feel like someone stabbed me in the forehead with an icicle. My teeth are sensitive to ice cold stuff as well. Ice also freezes my taste buds and they go numb. Sometimes I'll make myself some iced tea but I don't put any ice in, so I guess it's just cold tea.

I'm not a big fan of any food that's too hot or too cold, I'm like Goldilocks. :)