Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 1:13 am

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/04 ... revolution

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:04 am

Well . . . there go HIS fifteen minutes of fame . . .

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 11:53 am

Fnord wrote:

You think he’s chicken littling?

There was an article out a few years ago about some Billionaire luxury brand owner (fashion handbags and other crap) who was quoted as saying that what kept him up at night was the fact that the wealth divide is so severe and keeps growing that he worries that the common working class is going to rebel against rich people like him. And now here we are a few years later and things are only getting worse… sooo, maybe these guys aren’t exactly wrong and they are able to forecast what might happen when the pressure builds up too high. It’s not all Thaaaat different from forecasting sales demand or stock price appreciation.. market pressures build and then things happen.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 12:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

There was an article out a few years ago about some Billionaire luxury brand owner (fashion handbags and other crap) who was quoted as saying that what kept him up at night was the fact that the wealth divide is so severe and keeps growing that he worries that the common working class is going to rebel against rich people like him. And now here we are a few years later and things are only getting worse… sooo, maybe these guys aren’t exactly wrong and they are able to forecast what might happen when the pressure builds up too high. It’s not all Thaaaat different from forecasting sales demand or stock price appreciation.. market pressures build and then things happen.

So why don't they donate their wealth if they're so worried about the poor uprising? Wait, I know this one. They have getaway retreats outside the country to escape to while the country burns after they've accumulated all the nation's wealth. That's how the game Monopoly should end. After one player wins getting all the money from the other players. The other players set fire to the game board while the winner runs off and enjoys some ice cream.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 2:39 pm

Some folks have been saying much the same thing in the UK since at least 2011:

https://sixthragnarok.blogspot.com/2011 ... -will.html

Yet here we still are, with the Tories in the UK still doing very little to stem the growing rich-poor divide, and the USA slightly centre-left at best, and that only by the skin of its teeth, with a populist right-winger with a £2b wallet looking quite likely to retake the presidency because so many Americans think he's a working class hero.

But who knows? Revolutions are by nature sudden and relatively unexpected.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:08 pm

I'd bet a lot of those guys hedge their bets with secure bunkers stocked with non-monetary assets and such, at their scale of wealth it's cheap insurance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:09 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You think he’s chicken littling? . . .
Not specifically. However, he is just one of many doomsayers expounding the End Times for the last few thousand years. I think even Aristotle had similar concerns.

The End of The World As We Know It takes on many forms: disaster, disease, drought, famine, pestilence, war . . . You name it, and there is probably an associated apocalyptic prophesy.

”You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.” — Matthew 24:6–7 (NIV)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

AR15 build kits are much cheaper and easier to assemble, more practical and portable, and if the revolution never comes, fun to own and easy to flip for a profit. Just saying.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:00 pm

I think it's inevitable that the US implodes on itself in some kind of conflict. However, when and how severe it will be remains to be seen. The US isn't going to nuke itself tomorrow, but it would be a good idea for people to start looking at the big picture and actually work towards either solving the problem or making it less severe. As long as the majority of Americans subscribe to the notion that only those who share one political ideology or another can be happy at any given time, and that anyone who has opposing views may as well be hellspawn, things are going to keep getting worse.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 9:47 pm

for a revolution, there needs to be hope. but I think we all, deep down, drank the kool aid and accepted that this really is the best possible way to run the world - while probably only pathological optimists expect the convulsions that climate change and the wealth divide are bringing will just somehow go away, or at least not affect them personally.
There will be revolutions, but I don't expect them in the US or Europe. Those will just whither away into some dystopian nightmare scenario where Mark Zuckerberg owns everything you experience and controls how you communicate.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:17 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I'm not even rich and that worries me regularly. I am the common working class but still considered rich by many common working class people and appear to be a target.

The new rich was once the old middle class and that's what I find worrying.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:25 am

Nades wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I'm not even rich and that worries me regularly. I am the common working class but still considered rich by many common working class people and appear to be a target.

Aren't you a landlord? You don't need to be rich, rent-seeking is inherently parasitic. Even Adam Smith understood that landlords contribute nothing to an economy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Aren't you a landlord? You don't need to be rich, rent-seeking is inherently parasitic. Even Adam Smith understood that landlords contribute nothing to an economy.

Yes I am. It does in the sense that I buy houses otherwise run down, not selling or just easy pickings.

The benefit is that it saves the initial outlay of tens of thousands of having to buy a house. It's a lot easier to fork out for a rent deposit of a few hundred than 20+ grand to buy a house. That's how renting has always worked.

I agree in that nobody needs to be rich to be a landlord but if that's the case, why do people rent when getting a house is supposedly so easy? I'm only a blue collar semi-skilled labourer yet it's not particularly difficult for me to be a bit of a house hoarder. I'm a bit baffled as to houses practically being given away where I live are never bought by my fellow working class, similar aged peers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:24 pm

Nades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nades wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yes I am. It does in the sense that I buy houses otherwise run down, not selling or just easy pickings.

The benefit is that it saves the initial outlay of tens of thousands of having to buy a house. It's a lot easier to fork out for a rent deposit of a few hundred than 20+ grand to buy a house. That's how renting has always worked.

I agree in that nobody needs to be rich to be a landlord but if that's the case, why do people rent when getting a house is supposedly so easy? I'm only a blue collar semi-skilled labourer yet it's not particularly difficult for me to be a bit of a house hoarder. I'm a bit baffled as to houses practically being given away where I live are never bought by my fellow working class, similar aged peers.

I have similar thoughts about markets across Canada where I might consider buying a home(s) as rental properties - like why don’t the people there just buy them when they’re for sale if they’re going to pay rent and live in them ??

But I suppose due to a combination of both income and spending habits, they can come up with the rent each month, but never a down payment. Some people live their financial lives like that out of forced necessity, others via choices & habits. These people almost Need to have landlords or else they’d be homeless.. so, perhaps in some markets landlords do contribute some value to society by providing stable housing for those that can’t seem to do so within the rules of our financial systems.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 1:04 pm

It is almost fearful … that the amount of people whose habits . Do not allow them to even be able to manage rent, much less a down payment for a house. instead they are attracted to non conventional means of living ( am referring to street people) are growing in vast numbers . Usually have seen in. My area these are not disabled or people with children,Generally . But rather feed a addiction of some sort or the other or possibly allegiance to a gang. Or both.
And those whom prey on the good graces of society . Will outnumber landlords or homeowners . And those will be considered the wealthy class. By them . Already they have out numbered law enforcement to the point of Police
Just not enforcing anything but the most serious of crimes . So property crimes skyrocket and also feed the
People whom prefer to live a life without responsibilities . On the street or otherwise. This causes prices on everything to goip ,because these crimes are not limited to individuals owning property but businesses and business properties . So whom will start this revolution ? Keeping people divided in their sentiments and hoping to rely on a non- functional police force . Which the property owners are hoping on peoples inherent tendency to honesty.
Which almost has become non existent in a big portion of the population . And older people on pensions rely on the government for money . WHO IS going to start this revolution . :?:

where ever you go ,there you are