Howard Stern says hospitals should ban anti-vaxxers: 'GO HOM

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Interesting responses comparing accidents to a disease we have vaccines for. Apples to oranges, IMO.

Well, I threw in motorcycles because I know you ride recreationally from another thread, i.e. are choosing to engage in a high risk activity (my nurse exes universally refer to them as "donorcycles" due to how many riders they saw in the ER), and was wondering how you square that with your position here.

I think obesity is the better comparison, a largely preventable condition that causes many health problems that undoubtedly place greater strain on the medical infrastructure and drive up costs, and yet no one is suggesting we deny those people care. They even have their own movement to "de-stigmatize" being overweight, which is at least as "anti science" as vaccine skepticism, particularly when it's not across the board skepticism but rather contained to this specific, very new vaccine that uses novel technology, and the mandates forcing people to get it.

In all fairness, I doubt anyone's gained weight as a political statement, or even claimed against all scientific knowledge that being thin and in shape is unhealthy. There are no insane conspiracy theories about becoming thin results in the the Deep State being able to track you. Nobody's purposely become obese like the insane have purposely rejected Covid vaccines or masks.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
In all fairness, I doubt anyone's gained weight as a political statement, or even claimed against all scientific knowledge that being thin and in shape is unhealthy. There are no insane conspiracy theories about becoming thin results in the the Deep State being able to track you. Nobody's purposely become obese like the insane have purposely rejected Covid vaccines or masks.

I take it you're not familiar with the modern fat acceptance movement? They don't have all of those specific beliefs, but some of them absolutely do gain weight as a political statement or celebrate it as such, claim that being skinny is unhealthy, think that the medical establishment is engaging in a conspiracy to brainwash the world into thinking being thin is healthy, etc. In true leftist fashion, the movement is even fractured into big fats and little fats, and they hate each other, lol.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:18 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I take it you're not familiar with the modern fat acceptance movement? They don't have all of those specific beliefs, but some of them absolutely do gain weight as a political statement or celebrate it as such, claim that being skinny is unhealthy, think that the medical establishment is engaging in a conspiracy to brainwash the world into thinking being thin is healthy, etc. In true leftist fashion, the movement is even fractured into big fats and little fats, and they hate each other, lol.

I did not know that.
Just the same, I doubt they wield much in the way of power, coercing politicians to support their absurd and anti-science stances, or to convince huge segments of the public that fat is the way to go.
And yes, I am a fat guy. But no, I don't think it's all that healthy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:29 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Interesting responses comparing accidents to a disease we have vaccines for. Apples to oranges, IMO.

Well, I threw in motorcycles because I know you ride recreationally from another thread, i.e. are choosing to engage in a high risk activity (my nurse exes universally refer to them as "donorcycles" due to how many riders they saw in the ER), and was wondering how you square that with your position here.

I think obesity is the better comparison, a largely preventable condition that causes many health problems that undoubtedly place greater strain on the medical infrastructure and drive up costs, and yet no one is suggesting we deny those people care. They even have their own movement to "de-stigmatize" being overweight, which is at least as "anti science" as vaccine skepticism, particularly when it's not across the board skepticism but rather contained to this specific, very new vaccine that uses novel technology, and the mandates forcing people to get it.

Risk of riding a motorcycle isn’t a contagious disease that has vaccines available to prevent it. Apples to oranges. I can’t get a vaccine to avoid a motorcycle accident or injury. And accidents/injuries aren’t highly contagious. There is no motorcycle accident pandemic going on..

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Risk of riding a motorcycle isn’t a contagious disease that has vaccines available to prevent it. Apples to oranges. I can’t get a vaccine to avoid a motorcycle accident or injury. And accidents/injuries aren’t highly contagious. There is no motorcycle accident pandemic going on..

That's moving the goalposts, the argument isn't about putting other people in danger (and if the vaccines work as advertised, who exactly is being put in danger?), but rather about preventable risk and whether by taking one a person should forfeit their right to healthcare. You're choosing to engage in a high risk form of recreation, honestly probably a riskier choice than not getting a vaccine for a largely mild disease, so why should your assumption of risk be covered and theirs not be?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I did not know that.
Just the same, I doubt they wield much in the way of power, coercing politicians to support their absurd and anti-science stances, or to convince huge segments of the public that fat is the way to go.

That's what people said to me more than a decade ago when I was pointing out some of the more extreme forms of identity politics percolating on the left, "oh, that's just a fringe on the campuses, they'll change their tune when they hit the real world and have to get jobs", and now we're saying LatinX and birthing person and people with penises, and that worldview is endemic in corporate America, as the inmates have taken over the asylum. This stuff comes from the same source, fat studies is part of the same constellation of postmodern theories that has infected universities in recent years and metastasized out into the real world, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as not worth paying attention to.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 10:02 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

That's moving the goalposts, the argument isn't about putting other people in danger (and if the vaccines work as advertised, who exactly is being put in danger?), but rather about preventable risk and whether by taking one a person should forfeit their right to healthcare. You're choosing to engage in a high risk form of recreation, honestly probably a riskier choice than not getting a vaccine for a largely mild disease, so why should your assumption of risk be covered and theirs not be?

Did you read what I wrote? That's why.

Sports, work, riding motorcycles and other risky activities aren't highly contagious potentially lethal diseases that can be vaccinated against. There isn't a pandemic of motorcycle accidents robbing medical resources from cancer, heart, and surgical patients - it's unvaccinated covid patients doing that - and their condition is largely preventable via a few simple shots in the arm.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 12:48 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I did not know that.

That's what people said to me more than a decade ago when I was pointing out some of the more extreme forms of identity politics percolating on the left, "oh, that's just a fringe on the campuses, they'll change their tune when they hit the real world and have to get jobs", and now we're saying LatinX and birthing person and people with penises, and that worldview is endemic in corporate America, as the inmates have taken over the asylum. This stuff comes from the same source, fat studies is part of the same constellation of postmodern theories that has infected universities in recent years and metastasized out into the real world, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as not worth paying attention to.

I doubt the identity of being a fat guy is ever going to carry the same social weight as one's ethnicity. As a fat guy, I speak from personal experience. :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 1:22 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Sports, work, riding motorcycles and other risky activities aren't highly contagious potentially lethal diseases that can be vaccinated against. There isn't a pandemic of motorcycle accidents robbing medical resources from cancer, heart, and surgical patients - it's unvaccinated covid patients doing that - and their condition is largely preventable via a few simple shots in the arm.

No, they're risks that people choose to take, much like choosing to go unvaccinated, and the injuries people receive as a result of choosing to participate in those activities are just as avoidable by avoiding those risky past endeavors, it has nothing to do with contagion since what we're discussing is denying people healthcare for making choices we disagree with. But I digress, as I said earlier, the obesity comparison is much better, and I've yet to see you address that at all, which is a bit of an answer in and of itself.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 7:28 am

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

No, they're risks that people choose to take, much like choosing to go unvaccinated, and the injuries people receive as a result of choosing to participate in those activities are just as avoidable by avoiding those risky past endeavors, it has nothing to do with contagion since what we're discussing is denying people healthcare for making choices we disagree with. But I digress, as I said earlier, the obesity comparison is much better, and I've yet to see you address that at all, which is a bit of an answer in and of itself.

Ummm, but Covid does have to do with contagion and that’s what vaccines are for.

If you want to make it even remotely apples to apples: If there was a vaccine against motorcycle accidents I’d take it. But there isn’t so I mitigate risk with riding lessons, safety gear, sobriety, food, rest, water etc. Plus, once again, motorcycle accidents aren’t contagious. Wtf?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 7:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Three kinds of dishonesty in your argument.

1)That IS and ALWAYS was the topic. Howard Stern said "I have the right to live" [ie that he Stern and you and I have the right to not catch the contagion] right there in the linked article. He is talking about contagion, and we on this thread are all talking about what he said. So we are also talking about contagion.

2)you're the one either "moving the goal post" or unable to see where the goal post was in the first place. Stop projecting your own sins onto others please.

3)You know full well that even if contagion wasnt the topic of the original post of this thread it still should be the topic of discussion for the obvious reason that Covid is contagious, and motorcyle injuries are not. Contagion is the issue facing the nation.

Antivaxxers are BOTH fools (for injuring themselves),AND bastards (for hurting the rest of us). They maybe nice people, but on this issue they are fools and bastards.

So lets all return to that topic.

I think Stern is being a bit extreme. Maybe he is just trying to fight crazy with crazy. But I get where he is coming from.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 8:08 am

Goldfish makes the argument that if there is a vaccine that could eliminate any risk from riding a motorcycle, and winding up in a bed in the ICU, he would take it. Well, there isn't. Until then, maybe you shouldn't ride your motorcycle. It's as simple as that.

What I want to know is are him and others really advocating for turning the unvaccinated away for not taking the vaccines. That would show a lack of compassion for making a bad decision. You could make the same argument for anyone who engages in risky behavior.

Being alive is risky business. Sooner or later, we're all going to wind up in the ICU based on the decisions we make in life.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:18 am

[opinion=mine]

I see Howard Stern as being of the same type as Alex jones, only not as funny.

[/opinion]

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:49 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Goldfish makes the argument that if there is a vaccine that could eliminate any risk from riding a motorcycle, and winding up in a bed in the ICU, he would take it. Well, there isn't. Until then, maybe you shouldn't ride your motorcycle. It's as simple as that.

What I want to know is are him and others really advocating for turning the unvaccinated away for not taking the vaccines. That would show a lack of compassion for making a bad decision. You could make the same argument for anyone who engages in risky behavior.

Being alive is risky business. Sooner or later, we're all going to wind up in the ICU based on the decisions we make in life.

You missed the part where motorcycle injuries are not contagious, so it’s apples to oranges. It’s as simple as that.

Howard Stern is advocating turning the unvaccinated away from hospitals and I said I understand his frustration.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:26 am

Vaccinations don't protect you from either getting Covid or transmitting it, they just lessen the severity of the symptoms and give us a higher probability of surviving it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:28 am

Before anyone gets too giddy about what they are going to do to anti-vaxxers, there is some data now that suggests that the vaccines actually make you more vulnerable to Covid in the long term as well as a suite of other potential nasty side effects that may make themselves apparent in the years to come. What if... you were wrong and the vaccinated start filling up hospitals?

The final redeeming arc of this story may be some smirking health official laying out why the vaccinated are barred from hospitals while he calmly reminds everyone that "you didn't have to take it."