Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
According to emergency room physicians (who really don't have a stake in having a political opinion about vaccination or COVID):

The ones who go on to the ICU are overwhelmingly unvaccinated.

The ones who are triply vaccinated are the ones who go home from the emergency room, and are not admitted to the hospital. Many people panic when they get a positive COVID test, and go into the emergency room so they can get a doctor's opinion.

Which physicians?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:43 am

Physicians in the news.

Yes, it's anecdotal----but emergency room physicians are on the "front lines." They are the ones who are seeing the COVID patients, and evaluating them.

In this instance, I take anecdote over the results of research studies any day.

I understand you believe in "bodily autonomy," and that you shouldn't be forced to take the vaccine. And it is unfortunate that the COVID vaccines do not prevent COVID. But severe adverse effects from the vaccines are exceedingly rare. I've known people who are immunocompromised who have had only mild ill effects from the vaccine.

I believe unvaccinated folks should be treated, and shouldn't be told off by doctors. Because I believe most unvaccinated folks who get severe COVID are punished enough because they got severe COVID. They've learned the hard way.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:50 am

goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Vaccinations don't protect you from either getting Covid or transmitting it, they just lessen the severity of the symptoms and give us a higher probability of surviving it.

Uh-huh.. and that’s the whole point. Better outcomes for our vaccinated selves AND for our healthcare systems that aren’t put under such severe strain unnecessarily.

You made the point that you can't compare risky behavior with contagious diseases, when vaccines don't stop the spread of the disease. That's the point.

You seem to have very black and white all or nothing thinking. Just because the vaccines don't completely stop the spread of the disease does not mean they aren't beneficial. Covid-19 is reduced to a cold/flu in Most vaccinated people, and rates of serious covid or hospitalization are far lower. There's still a massive benefit to healthcare systems (and personal health!) for people to be vaccinated.

Gosh! Calling me a "black and white" thinker is so ironic coming from you. You have demonstrated very little ability to think outside your limited box of preconceived notions and generalizations when it comes to politics.

Like I said awhile back, the middle ground has all but disappeared on this topic and politics in general. you're either all in for the official narrative, or you're a crazy anti-vaxxer. A very dangerous situation indeed.

I'd still like to know you're opinion of what Stern said. Do you believe the unvaccinated should be turned away from the hospitals? It's a yes or no answer. My answer is NO.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Vaccinations don't protect you from either getting Covid or transmitting it, they just lessen the severity of the symptoms and give us a higher probability of surviving it.

Uh-huh.. and that’s the whole point. Better outcomes for our vaccinated selves AND for our healthcare systems that aren’t put under such severe strain unnecessarily.

You made the point that you can't compare risky behavior with contagious diseases, when vaccines don't stop the spread of the disease. That's the point.

You seem to have very black and white all or nothing thinking. Just because the vaccines don't completely stop the spread of the disease does not mean they aren't beneficial. Covid-19 is reduced to a cold/flu in Most vaccinated people, and rates of serious covid or hospitalization are far lower. There's still a massive benefit to healthcare systems (and personal health!) for people to be vaccinated.

Gosh! Calling me a "black and white" thinker is so ironic coming from you. You have demonstrated very little ability to think outside your limited box of preconceived notions and generalizations when it comes to politics.

Like I said awhile back, the middle ground has all but disappeared on this topic and politics in general. you're either all in for the official narrative, or you're a crazy anti-vaxxer. A very dangerous situation indeed.

I'd still like to know you're opinion of what Stern said. Do you believe the unvaccinated should be turned away from the hospitals? It's a yes or no answer. My answer is NO.

Why so hostile about having it pointed out to you that the vaccines are in fact effective even if they don’t prevent all transmission?

The answer is no, but I completely understand Howard Stern’s frustration as these people are straining medical resources unnecessarily and diverting resources away from other patients in desperate need - some of which die because they cannot get timely treatments.

It’s very frustrating. But in the end, just because someone has fallen victim to believing conspiracy theories or some political pundit talking head’s divisiveness doesn’t mean they’re not in need of medical attention that should be provided.

It’s still an extremely frustrating situation, though - and I’m especially so for doctors and nurses that have to treat these people while ignoring others’ healthcare needs.. because a ton of these severe illnesses and deaths are now completely avoidable via a simple vaccine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 1:44 pm

Some people seem to define their personal identity and reality itself on the lies spread by the anti-vaxx wing of the Alt-Right movement.

If they were to ever admit to themselves the fact that the vaccines are effective even if they can only reduce the chances of dying from COVID, they would have to also admit that the Alt-Right movement itself is based on lies, and their false realities would crumble and disappear along with their personal identities.

Only by getting others to believe as they do will they have something upon which to prop their fantasies and bolster their self-worth.  By resisting and denying their version of reality, you pose a singular existential threat.

For what are they to themselves if no one believes as they do?

Nothing, it seems.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Why so hostile about having it pointed out to you that the vaccines are in fact effective even if they don’t prevent all transmission?

The answer is no, but I completely understand Howard Stern’s frustration as these people are straining medical resources unnecessarily and diverting resources away from other patients in desperate need - some of which die because they cannot get timely treatments.

It’s very frustrating. But in the end, just because someone has fallen victim to believing conspiracy theories or some political pundit talking head’s divisiveness doesn’t mean they’re not in need of medical attention that should be provided.

It’s still an extremely frustrating situation, though - and I’m especially so for doctors and nurses that have to treat these people while ignoring others’ healthcare needs.. because a ton of these severe illnesses and deaths are now completely avoidable via a simple vaccine.

Hostile? I don't think so, just a little agitated by labeling me something that is far more an appropriate label for the one making the accusation. I never said anything against the vaccines, I'm just in don' agreein letting people die because they refuse to be vaccinated. Glad to see you agree with that.

I also pointed out it's a larger issue regarding preparation for overcrowded hospitals during a global pandemic.

Finally, I don't like the rampant disinformation being spread by officials within the U.S. government in the corporate media. Hell, Biden flat out lied a few months back on CNN when he said, "Look, if you get the vaccine, you won't get Covid." I don't want a media and government officials that lie to us at the behest of pharmaceutical companies to ensure maximum profits. I just want the truth.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:29 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Hostile? I don't think so, just a little agitated by labeling me something that is far more an appropriate label for the one making the accusation. I never said anything against the vaccines, I'm just in don' agreein letting people die because they refuse to be vaccinated. Glad to see you agree with that.

I also pointed out it's a larger issue regarding preparation for overcrowded hospitals during a global pandemic.

Finally, I don't like the rampant disinformation being spread by officials within the U.S. government in the corporate media. Hell, Biden flat out lied a few months back on CNN when he said, "Look, if you get the vaccine, you won't get Covid." I don't want a media and government officials that lie to us at the behest of pharmaceutical companies to ensure maximum profits. I just want the truth.

Ok, so you're upset by having it pointed out that you're expressing all or nothing thinking and ignoring the grey area - the simple fact that the vaccines remain beneficial, even if they're not a 100% panacea. Nothing I can do about that.

Months ago Biden was ~correct in saying that - the probability of contracting covid was very low for those who were vaccinated. Sure, it wasn't a Guarantee you wouldn't catch it, but it was a pretty high probability - hence his phrasing. Again, you're seeing his statement as a 100% black and white binary statement when in reality he likely meant something more along the lines of "You have a low chance of getting covid."

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:42 pm

Nope. You don't get it. Biden flat out lied. Corporate journalists have flat out lied. That's a fact that cannot be refuted, (although you'll try to be an apologist for it all day long.)

This has become a circular discussion.

I think you're a very compassionate person, we just don't see eye to eye on this. I think you are a far more linear thinker than me because you often fail to see the larger picture.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 4:49 pm

Mikah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Not just depending on TV news. As I said, I've been vaccinated, and so have my wife and daughter, and have had no ill effects. In fact, no one I know who's been vaccinated for Covid has had any problem, nor do I expect any.

I was about to tear you a new one. But before that I must check.
1) Is this a serious argument? You think because neither you nor people you know have personally experienced something, that it isn't happening to other people?
2) <removed>
3) <removed>

I always take my meds.
I thank you for not tearing me a knew one, as I have more than enough orifices. :lol: