New York Times Interview with Temple Grandin

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
It looks like  Christian Genealogy  has re-printed the entire article.

That is MY way of bypassing paywalls: Find another source.

Please don't take this as an attack, but that's fine and all if you're just reading it for your own edification, but there are an awful lot of people who are going to see the source and write it off without reading it because of the word "Christian" in the title, while the NYT imprint still carries some weight with these same people. Just speaking for myself, I pay a lot of attention to my own sourcing when posting here because I know that anything with even a whiff of right wing or conservative politics to it is just going to be dismissed, and will go so far as to quote a paywalled article in full if I can't find a neutral to liberal source for the story that isn't behind one rather than using a conservative coded source, even a trustworthy one. If I'm in a snarky mood, I refer to not having to do this little dance as "liberal privilege", as it really does fit the template of being an extra burden that people who it doesn't effect aren't even aware of.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 9:24 am

Dox47 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It looks like  Christian Genealogy  has re-printed the entire article.  That is MY way of bypassing paywalls: Find another source.
Please don't take this as an attack, but that's fine and all if you're just reading it for your own edification, but there are an awful lot of people who are going to see the source and write it off without reading it because of the word "Christian" in the title, while the NYT imprint still carries some weight with these same people. Just speaking for myself, I pay a lot of attention to my own sourcing when posting here because I know that anything with even a whiff of right wing or conservative politics to it is just going to be dismissed, and will go so far as to quote a paywalled article in full if I can't find a neutral to liberal source for the story that isn't behind one rather than using a conservative coded source, even a trustworthy one. If I'm in a snarky mood, I refer to not having to do this little dance as "liberal privilege", as it really does fit the template of being an extra burden that people who it doesn't effect aren't even aware of.
The obvious point (which you have missed) is that paywalls can be overcome, and by legitimate means.

Go pick your fights elsewhere.