Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:00 pm

The child got treatment (with epinephrine, probably).

My wife once had a similar reaction when she ate an avocado. The symptoms disappeared after she received epinephrine.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

My wife once had a similar reaction when she ate an avocado. The symptoms disappeared after she received epinephrine.

If he has a known peanut allergy, wouldn't he have his own Epi-pen?

Also I agree - parents of children with food allergies know exactly which restaurants / food manufacturers are safe and which aren't, even because of the potential for cross-contamination between products. I don't understand why he would order anything from a shop that has peanut products. I'm not victim blaming but it just doesn't make sense, unless they didn't know about the allergy beforehand.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:56 pm

I honestly don't see the man as a victim. I often think this is a often misused term to avoid taking accountability.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Also I agree - parents of children with food allergies know exactly which restaurants / food manufacturers are safe and which aren't, even because of the potential for cross-contamination between products. I don't understand why he would order anything from a shop that has peanut products. I'm not victim blaming but it just doesn't make sense, unless they didn't know about the allergy beforehand.

Milkshake Dad wrote:
After he started to drink his smoothie, my son lost the capacity to breathe properly; his lips and face swelled up, and he required an EpiPen shot, but it did not offer him relief. I called 911. My son then went to the bathroom, threw up and fell unconscious to the floor. He threw up again. My wife gave him another EpiPen while I called 911 again. Thank God, he is doing okay.

Fairfield County Police wrote:
Iannazzo indeed ordered the smoothie without peanut butter but the employees assert he had failed to mention his son’s peanut allergy.

Milkshake Dad's lawyer wrote:
When faced with a dire situation for his son, Mr. Iannazzo’s parental instinct kicked in and he acted out of anger and fear. He is not a racist individual and deeply regrets his statements and actions during a moment of extreme emotional stress.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:34 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I honestly don't see the man as a victim. I often think this is a often misused term to avoid taking accountability.

I agree.

I didn't mean to suggest he was a "victim". His son was the victim, unfortunately.

I meant that I wasn't trying to blame him for the employees' original mistake. They did make a mistake and it could have killed his child. He had a right to be upset and to voice this concern with the shop after his child was safe and the emergency was over. I would have had a meltdown in his position, but none of that allows for him to hurl racist or threatening epithets at the staff.

By the time this incident devolved, the smoothie staff became victims of his rage.

I guess the learning point here is for parents of children with anaphylaxis, regarding food prep in restaurants. It's also for employees to learn safety protocol when dealing with irate customers. Those women could have been attacked or even killed in this situation. I wish they had pulled a fire alarm or called 911 more assertively instead of engaging with him. This situation could have led to a disastrous outcome, not just for the boy but for those defenceless employees.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm

Dox47 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Or it could be they were just looking for an excuse replace him with an employee they can pay entry level salary to.

Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that, nice catch, as on reflection I could totally see an HR person making that calculation, get a PR win by being performatively woke in public and replace an expensive older employee with a cheaper younger one. That kind of thing is one of the reasons I'm not a pure libertarian anymore, I'm tired of companies expecting absolute loyalty from their workers but also selling them out the second it makes financial sense for them to do so.

Ageism is acceptable bigotry. You would know that but you do not have the "lived experience"(LOL).

People have been shocked at how fast "conservative" companies went "woke". I suspect a lot it is greed. If you set up "anti-racism" training the demographic with the highest compensation is going to have the hardest time adjusting. You are not firing him because of age discrimination you were are doing it because he is a racist (sarcasm).

That bad publicity would have gone away in a few days when social media found another outrage.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Jan 2022, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
People have been shocked at how fast "conservative" companies went "woke". I suspect a lot it is greed. If you set up "anti-racism" training the demographic with the highest compensation is going to have the hardest time adjusting. You are not firing him because of age discrimination you were are doing it because he is a racist (sarcasm).

I would suggest that they likely were never all that conservative either and that both the patriotism and the social justice stuff largely just performance art to distract from other potential issues.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I would suggest that they likely were never all that conservative either and that both the patriotism and the social justice stuff largely just performance art to distract from other potential issues.

Oh, I think ASPOM was mostly referring to the long held perception that big business was a firmly GOP constituency rather than anything about their culture.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Oh, I think ASPOM was mostly referring to the long held perception that big business was a firmly GOP constituency rather than anything about their culture.

Showing my age, what can I say?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

That's sort of what I'm getting at too, both establishment liberals and conservatives are largely 'pro-business' so most companies want to embrace them both instead of picking and choosing. I think some people who are aligned with liberals misjudge how the party they prefer isn't that much better than the one they oppose on a lot of those sorts of issues.

The voters might be less pro-business, but I don't believe their party is.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
That's sort of what I'm getting at too, both establishment liberals and conservatives are largely 'pro-business' so most companies want to embrace them both instead of picking and choosing. I think some people who are aligned with liberals misjudge how the party they prefer isn't that much better than the one they oppose on a lot of those sorts of issues.

The voters might be less pro-business, but I don't believe their party is.

Well, certainly since the Clinton years, though he really was just finishing what Jimmy Carter started. Bill Clinton shifting the Democrats to the right on business is actually a pretty good example of that thing I was talking about in the Sinema thread, he showed business interests that he wasn't just snowing them with talk about deregulation and globalism and that he could be trusted if they supported him, with the final payoff coming with Obama's candidacy, where he was the first modern Democrat to take in more Wall Street money than the Republican, a trend that has been stable ever since.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:20 am

Dox47 wrote:
When the limbic system kicks in, a different part of the brain takes over that you don't really have conscious control of, and that part of the brain also controls the sort of reflexive cursing that many people do under stress or pain (yelling "sh!t!" when someone cuts you off in traffic, or "f**k!" when you hit your thumb with a hammer).

Authorities said Iannazzo also made comments towards an employee that referenced their immigration status.

I'd say the part of the brain that controls self-awareness must have switched off. His grandfather or great-grandfather probably got called names as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:21 am

Doberdoofus wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Milkshake Dad wrote:
After he started to drink his smoothie, my son lost the capacity to breathe properly; his lips and face swelled up, and he required an EpiPen shot, but it did not offer him relief. I called 911. My son then went to the bathroom, threw up and fell unconscious to the floor. He threw up again. My wife gave him another EpiPen while I called 911 again. Thank God, he is doing okay.

Iannazzo indeed ordered the smoothie without peanut butter but the employees assert he had failed to mention his son’s peanut allergy.

When faced with a dire situation for his son, Mr. Iannazzo’s parental instinct kicked in and he acted out of anger and fear. He is not a racist individual and deeply regrets his statements and actions during a moment of extreme emotional stress.

Darn, I stand corrected.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:27 am

Doberdoofus wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Milkshake Dad wrote:

My daughter has mild-moderate anaphylaxis to peanuts but I wouldn't be stupid enough to order a milkshake or handmade beverage from any store (and neither do most people who have children with peanut allergies) even if they say "no nuts" because there is always "trace" amounts.
Even if the employees didn't understand the father he shouldn't have been irresponsible playing "Russian Roulette" with his child's life. Employees should never be held responsible for a parent's ignorance/stupidity.

Last edited by cyberdad on 27 Jan 2022, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
When the limbic system kicks in, a different part of the brain takes over that you don't really have conscious control of, and that part of the brain also controls the sort of reflexive cursing that many people do under stress or pain (yelling "sh!t!" when someone cuts you off in traffic, or "f**k!" when you hit your thumb with a hammer).

Authorities said Iannazzo also made comments towards an employee that referenced their immigration status.

I'd say the part of the brain that controls self-awareness must have switched off. His grandfather or great-grandfather probably got called names as well.

I think anyone's true colors shows when they are mad and stuff. It's like I have heard about the elderly that being old doesn't cause them to be as*holes, they already were one earlier in life and their brain decline has just made them show it. When my grandma got dementia, she started to became very nasty and even chased after me with her hands and I never wanted to be around her again because she got so mean. Then when her dementia got very bad, she wasn't mean anymore because she couldn't even remember anything past 5 seconds so I started being around her again because she was incapable of being mean. Turns out she had always been nasty and my mom just tolerated it and somehow my grandma never did it in front of us grand kids so she had control. Like if she wanted to call her sister in law the B word, she would take her sons to one of the bedrooms and tell them "I want that b***h out of my house." My mom told me this story when I became an adult and I realized she had always been so vile. She also had issues with her jealousy as well so that was why she would get nasty. Then once she stopped filtering her behavior, I saw her true colors and didn't want to be around her. My relationship with her was over. I didn't care if she was old, I didn't want to get abused by her. Then once her disease got very bad and she was no longer able to be mean, I welcomed her in my life again.

That is why people say you cannot take back what you said. So this taught me that when I am mad, I better not say something I would never say when I am calm. If someone says something racist when they are raging, they were already racist to begin with but never expressed it and they kept it to themselves. There are hidden racists and they know to keep it to themselves. Don't ask, don't tell.

And I have heard about elderlies becoming racist when they start to get dementia and I say dementia doesn't cause them to be racist, they are just showing it now because of their disease.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Milkshake Dad wrote:

My daughter has mild-moderate anaphylaxis to peanuts but I wouldn't be stupid enough to order a milkshake or handmade beverage from any store (and neither do most people who have children with peanut allergies) even if they say "no nuts" because there is always "trace" amounts.
Even if the employees didn't understand the father he shouldn't have been irresponsible playing "Russian Roulette" with his child's life. Employees should never be held responsible for a parent's ignorance/stupidity.

Even if he had ordered a none peanut butter drink, it is possible the machine the employee used had peanut contamination on it. I mean as a parent, you should know that if a place sells peanut product drinks, then their equipment will be contaminated. You can still see if they have special equipment they never use for peanut drinks.