Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 3:47 pm

People don't seem to realize if they are nice and polite, people will listen to you more and be more willing to help you.

When I see anyone complain about how everyone is manipulative or an as*hole or rude, I wonder if they are the as*hole.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 4:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
People don't seem to realize if they are nice and polite, people will listen to you more and be more willing to help you.

That depends on who you are dealing with, nice and polite will sometimes get you ignored or dismissed which is why people blow up.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 5:23 pm

I never said one shouldn’t be wary of someone ranting. That’s obvious. Of course this person might have a weapon. Whether it be a gun, a knife, a blackjack, mace, or whatever.

I just feel that people outside the US believe that Americans are gun nuts. I wish to dispel that stereotype.

I’ve only known one person who carries a handgun my entire life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 5:48 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

That depends on who you are dealing with, nice and polite will sometimes get you ignored or dismissed which is why people blow up.

There is a saying that if you meet one as*hole, you met an as*hole. If every person you have met is an as*hole, mmmm.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 5:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I never said one shouldn’t be wary of someone ranting. That’s obvious. Of course this person might have a weapon. Whether it be a gun, a knife, a blackjack, mace, or whatever.

I just feel that people outside the US believe that Americans are gun nuts. I wish to dispel that stereotype.

I’ve only known one person who carries a handgun my entire life.

I often wonder if the gun myth comes from as a form of gun control to install fear into people and also to keep people submissive.

If no gun, there could always be a knife and if no knife, there are your hands. People have been assaulted with hands by trying to stand up for someone. Like this story went viral from here in Portland when this white supremist was harassing these two girls whom he thought were both Muslim but only one of them was. Only three men stood up for them and the white supremist attacked them all and he didn't have a gun, only a knife. He stabbed them all and only one survived.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
However I think it's likely he would have stressed it as a matter of routine considering the severity of the allergy.

As a longstanding restaurant guy, that's been my experience, people with those allergies tend to be fairly emphatic about them, as they should be with a life threatening issue like anaphylactic shock. That's a chef's nightmare right there, actually poisoning someone and putting them in the hospital, I think you could even be criminally liable if they could show flagrant enough negligence, to say nothing of the civil liability.

Update: He admitted he never told the employees about his son's allergy, but says he did ask for the smoothie without peanut butter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny.com ... /11504210/

Well there goes the potential lawsuit imo.

That is neglect. My niece had a peanut allergy as a child to protect her my sister and brother in law acted in ways that in normal circumstances would get them diagnosed with paranoia. I would not eat peanut butter a full day before visiting her.

I suspect he was taking his anger at himself out on the employees. Whether one horrible day should result in his firing after 27 sans other circumstances no, that is cancel culture for you. I bet that company has employees with criminal records.

Or it could be they were just looking for an excuse replace him with an employee they can pay entry level salary to.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:

That's all well and good if you're thinking rationally, where as in this case I suspect the guy was so upset by his son being hospitalized by what he saw as these people's mistake that he wasn't thinking clearly.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Or it could be they were just looking for an excuse replace him with an employee they can pay entry level salary to.

Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that, nice catch, as on reflection I could totally see an HR person making that calculation, get a PR win by being performatively woke in public and replace an expensive older employee with a cheaper younger one. That kind of thing is one of the reasons I'm not a pure libertarian anymore, I'm tired of companies expecting absolute loyalty from their workers but also selling them out the second it makes financial sense for them to do so.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:18 pm

Dox47 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

That's all well and good if you're thinking rationally, where as in this case I suspect the guy was so upset by his son being hospitalized by what he saw as these people's mistake that he wasn't thinking clearly.

I think thanks to my anxiety, this has been a skill I needed to learn. Stay rational because if I acted on my feelings all the time, i would keep running into as*holes.

Those without don't learn this skill because it's not a frequent thing for them.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:58 am

League_Girl wrote:

When I see anyone complain about how everyone is manipulative or an as*hole or rude, I wonder if they are the as*hole.

Based on the video the girls didn't even know why he was flipping out on them.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:05 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
However I think it's likely he would have stressed it as a matter of routine considering the severity of the allergy.

As a longstanding restaurant guy, that's been my experience, people with those allergies tend to be fairly emphatic about them, as they should be with a life threatening issue like anaphylactic shock. That's a chef's nightmare right there, actually poisoning someone and putting them in the hospital, I think you could even be criminally liable if they could show flagrant enough negligence, to say nothing of the civil liability.

Update: He admitted he never told the employees about his son's allergy, but says he did ask for the smoothie without peanut butter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny.com ... /11504210/

Well there goes the potential lawsuit imo.

That is neglect. My niece had a peanut allergy as a child to protect her my sister and brother in law acted in ways that in normal circumstances would get them diagnosed with paranoia. I would not eat peanut butter a full day before visiting her.

I suspect he was taking his anger at himself out on the employees. Whether one horrible day should result in his firing after 27 sans other circumstances no, that is cancel culture for you. I bet that company has employees with criminal records.

I agree with you that he was probably projecting his anger for failing to order properly.

As for the firing, what makes this a unique situation, is that what he did made headlines. The whole world knows about it as if they were there when it happened. I don't see any company wanting to be connected to that, so I really don't blame them for severing ties to get themselves out of the picture.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:51 am

I feel everyone has to be on their best behavior now because someone could be filming and putting it online and their lives could be ruined.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 7:54 am

It’s good and it’s bad. All this camera stuff.

It’s intrusive—but maybe it will restrain the Kens and Karens of the world.

Or maybe even deter violence.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:19 am

As children we all had to learn to control our emotions and behaviors when we were kids. Does that go out the window when they become adults? I had no idea people acted that crazy until social media.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't think Americans are nuts. It's just that the likelihood of an American carrying a gun is much higher because of their access to guns. People are legally allowed to buy and carry guns there. Yes he could have had any other sort of weapon as well. Even without a weapon he was a large, strong man threatening two female employees and advancing toward them with degrading language. That in itself is dangerous.

I haven't followed this story at all but my questions are -
Was his child hospitalised?
Is there a chance this father was autistic? (meltdown)?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 1:44 pm

Yes his kid was hospitalized but I wonder why he failed to mention his son had a nut allergy and why did he order a drink with nuts in it? It's like ordering peanut butter brittle and then expecting there to be no nuts. You just wouldn't order it in the first place.