Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:33 am

Autistic People’s Human Rights Are Not Being Met - Wired UK

Quote:
Autistic people are denied at least five rights that are enshrined in the UN Declaration of Human Rights

First, the right to dignity.
Second, the right to education.
Third, the right to equal access to public services.
Fourth, the right to work and employment.
Fifth, the right to protection from discrimination, the right to a cultural life and to rest and leisure.
Finally, the right to protection of the law.

Next year, politicians will start to wake up to this injustice and call for measures to guarantee human rights for autistic people, spurred on by an increased understanding of autism and loud calls for the protection of autistic people’s rights.

Legislative changes such as this are in part the result of a greater awareness and adoption of the idea of “neurodiversity” among humans, which acknowledges that human minds and brains are not all the same and that diversity should be celebrated. Next year we will increasingly view autism through this lens, which is strikingly different to the standard medical model of the condition.

A mark of a civilised society is how we make “reasonable adjustments” for people with disabilities, to minimise their disabilities and to promote social inclusion. In 2022, more voices will be calling for autistic people’s human rights to be met so they are able to engage fully in a genuinely inclusive society.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 3:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autistic People’s Human Rights Are Not Being Met - Wired UK
Quote:
Autistic people are denied at least five rights that are enshrined in the UN Declaration of Human Rights

First, the right to dignity.
Second, the right to education.
Third, the right to equal access to public services.
Fourth, the right to work and employment.
Fifth, the right to protection from discrimination, the right to a cultural life and to rest and leisure.
Finally, the right to protection of the law.

Next year, politicians will start to wake up to this injustice and call for measures to guarantee human rights for autistic people, spurred on by an increased understanding of autism and loud calls for the protection of autistic people’s rights.

Legislative changes such as this are in part the result of a greater awareness and adoption of the idea of “neurodiversity” among humans, which acknowledges that human minds and brains are not all the same and that diversity should be celebrated. Next year we will increasingly view autism through this lens, which is strikingly different to the standard medical model of the condition.

A mark of a civilised society is how we make “reasonable adjustments” for people with disabilities, to minimise their disabilities and to promote social inclusion. In 2022, more voices will be calling for autistic people’s human rights to be met so they are able to engage fully in a genuinely inclusive society.

Typical hypocritical article by SBC, if he really believed in the idea that “neurodiversity” or the hardship of disability should be celebrated he would have quit his well paid job at his autism research centre.

Also falls into the ignorant trap of referring to autism as one condition, something unforgivable for someone in his position.

Why would you research something you didn’t want to reduce or prevent?

Is there a left handedness research centre out there getting millions in funding we are not aware of?

Just wants to promote his book and be the next Silberman. Maybe neurodiversity advocates should ask him why he researches into identifying autism in pregnant women before they fall for his usual BS and giving him money.

https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/pr ... tudy-cusp/

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 3:25 pm

• First, the right to dignity does not guaranty that the person with that right will act dignified.

• Second, the right to education does not guaranty that the person with that right will ever learn anything.

• Third, the right to equal access to public services does not guaranty that the person with that right will ever need those services.

• Fourth, the right to work and employment does not guaranty that the person with that right will seek to be employed, or will even be employable.

• Fifth, the right to protection from discrimination does not guaranty that the person with that right will be rewarded for doing less than his or her peers.

• Sixth, the right to a cultural life and to rest and leisure does not guaranty that the person with that right will not have to work for a living.

• Finally, the right to protection of the law does not guaranty that the person with that right will not face justice for breaking the law.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 4:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
• First, the right to dignity does not guaranty that the person with that right will act dignified.

• Second, the right to education does not guaranty that the person with that right will ever learn anything.

• Third, the right to equal access to public services does not guaranty that the person with that right will ever need those services.

• Fourth, the right to work and employment does not guaranty that the person with that right will seek to be employed, or will even be employable.

• Fifth, the right to protection from discrimination does not guaranty that the person with that right will be rewarded for doing less than his or her peers.

• Sixth, the right to a cultural life and to rest and leisure does not guaranty that the person with that right will not have to work for a living.

• Finally, the right to protection of the law does not guaranty that the person with that right will not face justice for breaking the law.

You could heat a town on all his hot air. Sadly many will fall for his BS & making him richer by buying his silly book.

- George Bernie Shaw

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 4:55 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

You could heat a town on all his hot air. Sadly many will fall for his BS & making him richer by buying his silly book.

I’m reading one of his books, just curious why the dislike of SBC?

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2022, 8:40 pm

Mostly because of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathising%E2%80%93systemising_theory#Criticism
The idea that autism is somehow and extreme expression of male phenotype and shows a distinct lack of any expression of female phenotype (hence the 'girls don't get autism' nonsense). He's also the one behind the concept of autistics being 'mind blind', and is an autistic person is completely incapable of understanding that someone has different thoughts, feelings, perspectives and goals from their own. Which I feel like autistics are on the receiving end of this more often than NTs. Basically he proposed an idea that puts all of the onus of conversation failure on autistics, but a more recent idea proposed called 'the double empathy problem' proposed that if SBC's idea was correct then autistics would have an even HARDER time communicating with each other than with NTs, but the opposite is true. Autistics have an easier time talking to other autistics than NTs, which means that it's more a problem of dialect than theory of mind.
Example: In American English the first floor is the floor on the ground level and usually the one you enter a building on, in British English, the first floor is the floor above the one one the ground level (which is called the 'ground floor'). So if you were unaware of the difference and said 'meet me on the first floor', well, the American English speaker and the British English speaker are now waiting on two different floors.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 8:45 pm

starrytigress wrote:
Mostly because of this:
The idea that autism is somehow and extreme expression of male phenotype and shows a distinct lack of any expression of female phenotype (hence the 'girls don't get autism' nonsense). He's also the one behind the concept of autistics being 'mind blind', and is an autistic person is completely incapable of understanding that someone has different thoughts, feelings, perspectives and goals from their own. Which I feel like autistics are on the receiving end of this more often than NTs. Basically he proposed an idea that puts all of the onus of conversation failure on autistics, but a more recent idea proposed called 'the double empathy problem' proposed that if SBC's idea was correct then autistics would have an even HARDER time communicating with each other than with NTs, but the opposite is true. Autistics have an easier time talking to other autistics than NTs, which means that it's more a problem of dialect than theory of mind.
Example: In American English the first floor is the floor on the ground level and usually the one you enter a building on, in British English, the first floor is the floor above the one one the ground level (which is called the 'ground floor'). So if you were unaware of the difference and said 'meet me on the first floor', well, the American English speaker and the British English speaker are now waiting on two different floors.

It's almost like there's dialects of theory of mind. Some ND people are even less compatible with each other than they are with NTs, some click like we're told only NTs can or better. If we're on a spectrum by analogy I'd refer to that as our wavelength.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:35 am

txfz1 wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Largely because he’s an attention grabbing hypocrite with the unusual ability in an individual of offending all sides.

He offended autistic women with his extreme male brain theory, ND advocates with spectrum 10k, he pretends he doesn’t want to prevent autism and conducts research into spotting autism in early pregnant women (see above earlier link)

He offends those who seek a cure with his flirting with Neurodiversity paradigm and his 3am tweets.

He uses his job position paid by the UK gov and tax payers to promote and make money out of vulnerable people through his book, claiming he believes what they believe, all while going to work every morning to research into preventing and reducing the symptoms of autism.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 2:35 pm

I think SBC found a subset of autistics and mistook it for the entire spectrum.

I think maybe SBC and certainly many who have read about “mind blindness” wrongly conflate disability and inability.

He would have not offended so many if he had not called his “systemizing” thinking theory “extreme male brain theory”.

While he is “credited” with the extreme male brain theory it was Hans Asperger more than four decades prior that postulated Autism was a male condition.

For the ND movement the question arises should we be happy about benefits to that derive from a well known and quoted expert saying good things about us and our skills or should we cancel him because of the harm he has done in the past and possible bad motivations now?

Personal note
I defiantly understand people have different perspectives and have for as long as I can remember. While I understand why different demographics vote or shop a certain way I am mind impaired(not blind) when it comes to person to person interactions. I think my interest in the perspectives of different groups is a form of compensation.

When I was diagnosed in 2013 SBC’s theories were mostly unchallenged and “explained a lot” .

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:43 pm

Why does he keep saying something is going to change "next year"?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:43 pm

starrytigress wrote:
Mostly because of this:

Thank you for the link and the summary. The one book I’m reading has not given me the same impression, so I am curious and will continue to to research it. It is written for the layman and hasn’t claimed any difference between women and men. From my own ignorance, using the stereotypes of men are problem solvers and women are the nurturers, I would think there would be some difference in the autistic genders. How much and any effect would be beyond me. For my own reading, I was just trying to understand how low empathy has affected me.

Last edited by txfz1 on 27 Jan 2022, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:47 pm

carlos55 wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

Largely because he’s an attention grabbing hypocrite with the unusual ability in an individual of offending all sides.

He offended autistic women with his extreme male brain theory, ND advocates with spectrum 10k, he pretends he doesn’t want to prevent autism and conducts research into spotting autism in early pregnant women (see above earlier link)

He offends those who seek a cure with his flirting with Neurodiversity paradigm and his 3am tweets.

He uses his job position paid by the UK gov and tax payers to promote and make money out of vulnerable people through his book, claiming he believes what they believe, all while going to work every morning to research into preventing and reducing the symptoms of autism.

Thank you for the response, I’ll look further into it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:51 pm

People should seek out the opportunities their rights enable instead of demanding the rights they already have.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 8:53 am

There is a phrase used in the UK legal political/ profession called “BS baffles brains.”

Wasting time engaging in empty sound bites and rhetoric for attention or distraction.

In the majority of cases it’s the condition of autism itself that limits or influences these issues given.

For example some autistic kids go to mainstream school and do ok me being one, the kids that get excluded from school not because they are autistic or different but because their condition causes behavior that causes disruption to the class, that the teacher can’t handle or they are too ID to follow the normal curriculum.

Min Intelligence isn’t the only thing that is important for autistic employment. Many autistic people lack executive functioning, concentration and problem solving skills that NT people have. I have intelligence in the normal range but been hired and fired multiple times for mistakes caused by my Aspergers.

Of course he knows all this being in his position, just an obvious plugging of his new book.

Bit like his spectrum 10k stunt, big publicity on tv then a few Twitter followers out of 750000 uk autistic people criticize him and he claims he’s postponing to listen to these people.

All coinciding with the release of his book

He should quit his job and make way for someone else who won’t get involved in identity politics that really wants to improve the lives of autistic people.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... s%20Brains

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:33 am

carlos55 wrote:
There is a phrase used in the UK legal political/ profession called “BS baffles brains.”

Wasting time engaging in empty sound bites and rhetoric for attention or distraction. . .
Does that include posting empty opinions and random links on unrelated social websites?

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Wasting time engaging in empty sound bites and rhetoric for attention or distraction. . .
Does that include posting empty opinions and random links on unrelated social websites?

Fnord, are you okay? Just my opinion based on observation, you seem “stressed” by reading your posts for today. It’s really none of my business and forgive me if I’m out of line.