Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Foxibus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2022, 2:34 pm

Some ten years ago, I was describing to a therapist how my childhood was burdened by an inability to understand what people were saying; I could hear the words fine, they just sometimes didn't translate into meaning. She said "Are you dyslexic?"

I started to say, no, actually I learnt to read so early I can't remember doing it. Then I recalled that dyslexia is an umbrella term for a range of processing issues, and I realised that she could be right. Maybe it wasn't anything "wrong" with me; maybe it was just something different.

But I still thought of it as an oddity out of context, a symptom without a cause. It wasn't till a few months back, when I was telling another therapist (yes, I've had a lot of head-fixers in my life) about the communication issues in my relationship, that he said "You need to check, because I could be wrong, but I think you're Aspergers." So I started to look up tests, and try them. And here I am.

Some of my oldest and most painful memories are of people - parents, teachers, other children - asking "Why?" Why didn't I listen, why didn't I understand, why did I forget, why did I get it wrong? Finally, after most of my life, I can tell them all why. The relief is indescribable.

I'm still learning what it means, what I can do about it, and even more importantly, what I can't. But in the wise words of Ford Prefect, I don't have an answer, but I've got another name for the question.

Oh better far to live and die under the brave black flag I fly,
Than play a sanctimonious part with a pirate head and a pirate heart.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a comfortable place.

I got my Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) diagnosis when I was 64. By then the diagnosis was not a warning of difficulties in my future but rather an explanation of difficulties in my past. This understanding was wonderful! I did buy champagne on the way home from the Psychologist's office after getting the diagnosis.

Last edited by Double Retired on 25 Jan 2022, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 4:22 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 4:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet Foxibus :D

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:07 am

welcome! That is the thing I felt most when I figured out my autism diagnosis and got it confirmed by a professional later on. Relief! Suddenly everything in my past began to make sense! It allowed me to understand myself and others and how things worked with autism behind it all without anybody suspecting! I was so glad to learn that all my life everything has not been "all my fault". I was so happy to find others who actually understood! Glad you are with us. I was formally diagnosed at age 68. You are not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:08 am

came back to add, yes, the answer to all those painful "why" questions was autism. I have said almost the same thing many times.
What a relief!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson