Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:46 am

Russia, obviously, has put Ukraine in a defensive position.

Putin, frankly, wants to go back to the good old USSR days.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 6:47 pm

Looks like the Ukrainian Boogaloo is getting ready to kick off.

That's not a "sniper rifle" though, that's a pretty bog standard AR15, though it's interesting to see the American design in Eastern Europe, they've got so many AKs along with all the parts and ammo for them lying around that logistically it usually makes sense to stick with them, even though the AR is a better gun.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 7:22 pm

Dox47 wrote:
that's a pretty bog standard AR15

I'm no expert but that looks an awful like a Zbroyar Z-10 sniper rifle ( used by Ukrainian 79. Airborne Brigade )

edit: my mistake article say its a Zbroyar Z-15

https://www.nation.lk/online/ukrainian- ... 69305.html

Quote:
The hunting rifle wasn't a one-off purchase for Mariana.

In addition to dropping over £950 on the weapon, she also attended a two-week sniper course and had several attachments fitted - including a bipod, a telescopic sight and a silencer - to ensure she could be as lethal as possible.

Mariana went on to spend another £830 on military garb - a helmet, snow camouflage, bulletproof vest, ammo and boots - and has stocked up on canned goods so she can remain holed up in the apartment for weeks.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 7:48 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
I'm no expert but that looks an awful like a Zbroyar Z-10 sniper rifle ( used by Ukrainian 79. Airborne Brigade )

Yeah, "sniper rifle" is not exactly a precision term, but when I hear it I picture a heavy caliber bolt action rifle free floated into some kind of chassis and sporting some serious glass, not a semi-auto carbine in an intermediate caliber with a mid range optic on it. Even the AR10 based version in .308 sounds more like a DMR to me, but I'm also persnickety about these things, I'm definitely that guy who ruins action movies grousing at all the gun errors. :lol:

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 7:56 pm

*mental note - no netflix and chill with Dox watching John Wick*

Godspeed Mariana and happy hunting :ninja: .

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:28 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:

Those movies really aren't too bad, Wick actually uses the sights on his guns, reloads at appropriate intervals with the correct ammunition, usually uses the proper tool for the job, and generally makes the gunplay look possible, if unlikely. If you want to hear me yell, break out Commando, where I'll howl as Ahn-ohd sprays hundreds of rounds from his 30 round magazine or never-ending belt, fires from the hip for the entire movie, places Claymore mines backwards (you can even read the imprint on the mines saying so), and hangs grenades from his vest by the safety rings, which is just asking for a bad day, among other things.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

Yeah, "sniper rifle" is not exactly a precision term, but when I hear it I picture a heavy caliber bolt action rifle free floated into some kind of chassis and sporting some serious glass, not a semi-auto carbine in an intermediate caliber with a mid range optic on it. Even the AR10 based version in .308 sounds more like a DMR to me, but I'm also persnickety about these things, I'm definitely that guy who ruins action movies grousing at all the gun errors. :lol:

I feel like if the average chump doesn't know the difference between a DMR/sharpshooter and a sniper there's no chance in hell of them understanding the difference between appropriate tools for the different jobs.

They're both just synonyms for the guys who use scopes and shoot people in the head to the average viewer.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I feel like if the average chump doesn't know the difference between a DMR/sharpshooter and a sniper there's no chance in hell of them understanding the difference between appropriate tools for the different jobs.

They're both just synonyms for the guys who use scopes and shoot people in the head to the average viewer.

True, but I'm an autistic gun nerd, so... :lol:

That, and the article described it as a "huge sniper rifle", so I definitely feel at least a little justified pointing and laughing when the gun in question turns out to be a .223 caliber carbine.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Looks like the Ukrainian Boogaloo is getting ready to kick off.

That's not a "sniper rifle" though, that's a pretty bog standard AR15, though it's interesting to see the American design in Eastern Europe, they've got so many AKs along with all the parts and ammo for them lying around that logistically it usually makes sense to stick with them, even though the AR is a better gun.

I shall take your word for it.

I have no idea about guns really, apart from the basics.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 10:57 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

True, but I'm an autistic gun nerd, so... :lol:

That, and the article described it as a "huge sniper rifle", so I definitely feel at least a little justified pointing and laughing when the gun in question turns out to be a .223 caliber carbine.

Fair enough, despite also being one I've never quite been as fussy over nomenclature as many people. I guess it's mostly because of how common I've seen people use nitpicking over nomenclature as a way to avoid dodging having to address opinions they don't like (not exclusively in regards to the gun control topic either, although that's an obvious example where it comes up).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I'm that average viewer.

This is the first world-politics news story I've read in years and I have to say it was terrifying. I can't even imagine what those people are going through.

My only nitpicky thing would be that the article kept referring to 21-year-old adults as "youngsters", which is laughable really considering how young people were in the world wars and how young some child soldiers are.

That's inconsequential though. ^

I pray for peace.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I'm that average viewer.

This is the first world-politics news story I've read in years and I have to say it was terrifying. I can't even imagine what those people are going through.

My only nitpicky thing would be that the article kept referring to 21-year-old adults as "youngsters", which is laughable really considering how young people were in the world wars and how young some child soldiers are.

That's inconsequential though. ^

I pray for peace.

Childhood is contextual.

A child in the 1940's would be more street wise than a 21 year old in 2022.

By like, a factor of at least 10, by my estimates.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:12 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fair enough, despite also being one I've never quite been as fussy over nomenclature as many people. I guess it's mostly because of how common I've seen people use nitpicking over nomenclature as a way to avoid dodging having to address opinions they don't like (not exclusively in regards to the gun control topic either, although that's an obvious example where it comes up).

I try and pick my battles, I'm not that guy that's going to jump all over someone for saying clip instead of magazine or silencer rather than suppressor (silencer is actually correct as that's what the inventor called them), that's just pedantic and annoying, where I jump in is when someone has something materially wrong that's distorting their understanding of a firearm, or is abusing terminology to mislead others. Even then, I'm more likely to use the Socratic method, as my goal in a political debate is not so much to demonstrate my own expertise, but rather to expose the ignorance of the other side, and that's usually pretty trivial with guns, I've yet to get a good answer to "why does a pistol grip/barrel shroud/adjustable stock/threaded muzzle make a gun more dangerous?", or even simple questions like "what do you mean when you say 'high powered'?", as most of these people simply have no understanding at all of what they're talking about. I've always found that telling, the unwillingness of anti-gun people to learn about the subject, even if only to become better anti-gun advocates, I can't think of another subject where the information divide is quite so stark.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:14 am

Before NATO troops start bolstering the Ukrainians it might be wise to check whom they are supporting. There seems to be large numbers of far-right nationalist para-military taking advantage of the unstable border to recruit new members and influence the Ukrainian government.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... nazi-links

It might be wiser to support Putin on this one...

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 2:33 am

Dox47 wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

Those movies really aren't too bad, Wick actually uses the sights on his guns, reloads at appropriate intervals with the correct ammunition, usually uses the proper tool for the job, and generally makes the gunplay look possible, if unlikely. If you want to hear me yell, break out Commando, where I'll howl as Ahn-ohd sprays hundreds of rounds from his 30 round magazine or never-ending belt, fires from the hip for the entire movie, places Claymore mines backwards (you can even read the imprint on the mines saying so), and hangs grenades from his vest by the safety rings, which is just asking for a bad day, among other things.

John Matrix is going to eat you for breakfast :ninja: