Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 2:44 am

Doberdoofus wrote:

John Matrix is going to eat you for breakfast :ninja:

Good thing I'm not a green beret, lol.

Also, why is the villain wearing a too tight chain mail shirt the entire movie? And what were the couple in the other hotel room doing with the woman behind the guy doggy style? Why don't real surplus stores have secret armories hidden in the back?

That movie raises so many questions...

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 2:50 am

Dox47 wrote:
Also, why is the villain wearing a too tight chain mail shirt the entire movie?

So he could let off steam.

Dox47 wrote:
And what were the couple in the other hotel room doing with the woman behind the guy doggy style?

What? I'll have to watch it again and get back to you.

Dox47 wrote:
Why don't real surplus stores have secret armories hidden in the back?

That movie raises so many questions...

My suspension of disbelief gave me no questions :lol:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 5:12 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:

It's at about the 1:55 mark, warning for language and nudity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgSmkm5S-k

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:23 pm

If the Russians do cross the border is there any evidence they will/have killed women and children and not combatants?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:50 am

As the Ukrainian government hopes to kill as many Russian troops as quickly as possible so as to make the Russian public reluctant to risk the lives of their young, that lady might just play her part in that plan if Putin decides to go all the way.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:50 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

It's at about the 1:55 mark, warning for language and nudity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgSmkm5S-k

:lmao:

That wasn't even on my radar when I first watched it ( or the multiple times I've seen it since, what a naive mind I had ). I have a few ideas what was happening but now realise it was a rhetorical question :mrgreen:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As the Ukrainian government hopes to kill as many Russian troops as quickly as possible so as to make the Russian public reluctant to risk the lives of their young, that lady might just play her part in that plan if Putin decides to go all the way.

I find it interesting that China has recently crossed the Bhutan border and stationed troops/settlements in a sovereign country which is also an act of war. Strangely no NATO troops being sent there.

The Chinese army occupied Tibet and have killed Indian troops in border skirmishes and nobody comes to Tibet or India's aid either.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I find it interesting that China has recently crossed the Bhutan border and stationed troops/settlements in a sovereign country which is also an act of war. Strangely no NATO troops being sent there.

The Chinese army occupied Tibet and have killed Indian troops in border skirmishes and nobody comes to Tibet or India's aid either.

I sincerely hope there isn't some sort of racial consideration by the western powers.
For less despicable reasons, perhaps we're coming to their aid because Ukraine is so close to the NATO powers geographically, and also possibly because they're a democracy, and democracies are supposed to stand together.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I sincerely hope there isn't some sort of racial consideration by the western powers.
For less despicable reasons, perhaps we're coming to their aid because Ukraine is so close to the NATO powers geographically, and also possibly because they're a democracy, and democracies are supposed to stand together.

I think it's because Ukraine wants to be part of NATO so perhaps NATO are obliged to intervene on their behalf. Turkey are also part of NATO but they have a history of human rights violations on par with Ukraine so I think the distinction is geopolitical.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 11:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Peaches to pears. Tibet was conquered by the Chinese communists way back in the Forties. So Tibet is an internal part of China for practical purposes (the Nationalist Chinese govt. that fled to Taiwan also claims Tibet as part of China). So we cant do squat about Tibet nor about the Uighurs to the north of Tibet either for the same reason. India is not part of NATO. India is in the same weight class as China (and is almost in the same weight class as NATO) and is not in danger of being swallowed up by China the way the Ukraine might be by larger Russia. And the US is already engaged in a chess match with China in the South China Sea- strengthening traditional alliances and trying to form new alliances with nations around the Sea against China.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:12 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Peaches to pears. Tibet was conquered by the Chinese communists way back in the Forties. So Tibet is an internal part of China for practical purposes (the Nationalist Chinese govt. that fled to Taiwan also claims Tibet as part of China). So we cant do squat about Tibet nor about the Uighurs to the north of Tibet either for the same reason. India is not part of NATO. India is in the same weight class as China (and is almost in the same weight class as NATO) and is not in danger of being swallowed up by China the way the Ukraine might be by larger Russia. And the US is already engaged in a chess match with China in the South China Sea- strengthening traditional alliances and trying to form new alliances with nations around the Sea against China.

Using China's logic Putin could also claim Ukraine as part of the old pan-slavic nation that existed for a thousand years.Heck! Putin could ask for Alaska back.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
Putin could ask for Alaska back.

You're aware Russia sold Alaska, right? Even if Russia could try to make claims on some neighbours there's no way to frame a valid claim on Alaska.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You're aware Russia sold Alaska, right? Even if Russia could try to make claims on some neighbours there's no way to frame a valid claim on Alaska.

Not sure why the Russians didn't lease Alaska like the way the Chinese did with Hong Kong?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 1:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Not sure why the Russians didn't lease Alaska like the way the Chinese did with Hong Kong?

Vastly different political circumstances and relationships with the territories.

Alaska was never part of Russia traditionally, wasn't filled with Russians and wasn't part of their identity. Russia believed that America or the British Empire would eventually conquer Russian America and making a deal with the US would benefit America at British expense. Essentially this would leave British Columbia encircled by American claims and make it more likely that what is now Central and Western Canada would end up not part of the British Empire.

Hong Kong has been Chinese since the Qin dynasty and China was unlikely to outright cede it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 2:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Alaska was never part of Russia traditionally, wasn't filled with Russians and wasn't part of their identity. Russia believed that America or the British Empire would eventually conquer Russian America and making a deal with the US would benefit America at British expense. Essentially this would leave British Columbia encircled by American claims and make it more likely that what is now Central and Western Canada would end up not part of the British Empire..

It's curious since the Czars conquered the far east pacific terroritories in 1647 and hundred years later started sending settlers into Russian America. A cursory glance at some articles suggest the Russians were struggling to maintain a line of supply to settlers, fisherman and trappers in Alaska and decided to cede it to the US to avoid conflict. I wonder if they knew how much oil and gold was present whether they would have given it up so easily?

Not to mention a Russian presence in Alaska might have prevented the cold war and the election of Sarah Palin. Opportunities missed.