China changes Fight Club film ending so the authorities win

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60138866

The irony here, being that the BBC have been doing this exact thing of rewriting history for decades now, until they have been foiled & are now acting more consciously.

The BBC have been very China like in their authoritarian, phoney narratives, until the pandemic hit & they couldn't contain the thought criminals anymore.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 6:13 pm

I have to wonder why the CCP would allow that particular movie in in the first place, that seems more like the kind of film that dissidents would smuggle in and pass around bootleg copies of.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 6:33 pm

Fight club, good. China, bad. The first rule of totalitarian government, is you don't talk about a totalitarian government.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:08 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 5:29 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Fight club, good. China, bad. The first rule of totalitarian government, is you don't talk about a totalitarian government.

:lol:

Thats about the size of it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 11:42 am

I read an article about this that said the new ending is actually closer to what the ending in the book was - that's kinda interesting. But I've never read the book and only seen the movie several times.. so seeing a completely different ending would be weird/annoying.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

I imagine the Chinese would do the same to Squid Games if it was ever allowed to be shown in their country :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 11:52 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I read an article about this that said the new ending is actually closer to what the ending in the book was - that's kinda interesting. But I've never read the book and only seen the movie several times.. so seeing a completely different ending would be weird/annoying.

Nah, that is a twisted way of looking at things, from a Chinese perspective.

Basically, the movie was about correcting social inequality by overthrowing predatory capitalism & resisting authority.

The movie was never, fundamentally anti-capitalist - but anti excessive capitalism.

It certainly did not in any shape or form support the notion that the authorities should ever win.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:57 pm

We've changed scenes in movies as well.

1. Dr. Strangelove (1964): the line "A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff" originally referenced Dallas. It was changed during filming, in response to JFK's assassination.

2. The Program (1993): There was a scene where students were lying down on a road median in a test of endurance. The scene was cut after teens copied the scene in real life and were killed.

3. Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021): The scene where Pepe le Pew would get what he had coming was scrapped.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 2:36 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Nah, that is a twisted way of looking at things, from a Chinese perspective.

Basically, the movie was about correcting social inequality by overthrowing predatory capitalism & resisting authority.

The movie was never, fundamentally anti-capitalist - but anti excessive capitalism.

It certainly did not in any shape or form support the notion that the authorities should ever win.

I think the article was from Vice News or something, not the South China Morning Post.

I've seen the movie several times. I know what it's about. I've never read the book - but apparently the ending of the book is quite different, as referred to in the article, and the new Chinese ending is closer to the book than the original movie was.

I'm not pro Chinese censorship, just pointing out what I read about it.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 9:19 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I was wondering where they'd got the footage... that is just so hilariously crap I cannot imagine anyone in China actually falling for it.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 9:24 pm

Apparently an episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was considered too controversial to show in the UK and Ireland due to a throwaway line about Irish reunification..... https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-tng-high- ... naired-uk/