Is it selfish to work somewhere else than in where I live?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm

I seem to feel quite content where I am working now in the area that I have always in known in Kent despite having been registered with a job centre in another area which was in Essex when I was still living with my dad and he moved there after he and my mum divorced. I sent CVs and application forms in both Kent and Essex but I didn't initially send them in Kent at first because I thought they might sanction the job-seekers allowance money. In the end, I told them and they said it was fine. I seem to wonder looking back now whether or not I was quite picky or maybe selfish to find work somewhere where I was born and not in another area. I feel I didn't particularly want to work in another county which I wasn't born in. I did have a couple job offers in Essex before I got the job where I am working now and I politely turned them down and eventually took the job in Kent.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:32 pm

I wouldn't say selfish but you definitely limit your opportunities if you only work in your home town.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:39 pm

I wasn't just looking in my home-town, I was also looking in a places not far away as well.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 3:44 pm

Working further from your home can come with added stress and longer days especially if you don't drive and rely on public transport. It's a judgement call that only you can make.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:48 pm

Why do you think everything you do is selfish? You always sound like a very selfless person in your posts.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:56 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Working further from your home can come with added stress and longer days especially if you don't drive and rely on public transport. It's a judgement call that only you can make.

Well, when didn't drive at the time when I got job offers in places much further away from where I live and relied on public transport. I drive now but I only passed my tests when I was already in work and until then I was still using public transport.