Anybody else here obsessed with Apple products?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ibmat5170
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2022, 7:04 pm

I love APPLE products. old ones (1984 Macintosh) new ones (My iPhone 13 Pro Max) it doesnt matter. I love everything apple has ever made, including the Newton. This obsession is not new. As a Child, I loved everything Apple at my school. The Macintosh SE/30 that was used as a AppleTalk server for the IIGS network, the Macintosh II FX and Quadra 950 that were only for the "older kids" to do important stuff on like access the internet. When my parents bought a Gateway PC with Windows 95, I was disappointed to say the least. When I found a Quadra 700 at a local garage sale for $20, I couldn't stop smiling. My first Mac! Ever since that moment, I made it a point in my life that if there was a choice between something else and Apple, I would always do it the Apple way. even when I had no job and couldn't pay my rent, I held on to my iPhone. Anybody else here love apple that much?

ibmat5170

29 Jan 2022, 5:39 pm

android is not better. That "customizable" aspect comes at the cost of integration. Android doesn't come with a weather app, I have to pick one and download it. I don't want to research 5 different weather apps. I just want one that works. I like how iMessage tells me when someone has read a message. I like how with apple, you don't have to think. a majority of things are just done for you in a certain way and I LIKE THAT. I like not having to think or make choices. the best things in life are things that require zero effort

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 5:54 pm

No, I don't really fetishize any particular variety of tech products (Apple, Android, Linux, Windows, etc) because they all have advantages and drawbacks and because even if there's stuff one likes about a brand emotional attachment to that brand shouldn't ever be a consideration when choosing a product.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm

I have an iphone that I use for its depth sensors, but getting files off it onto my pcs is such a pain that I don't even like using it for that.
Mac workstations are only becoming a reasonable investment now with the M1s, but software support is only slowly catching up and the M1 turned out to be not quite as powrrful as advertised, do it's still expensive.
I so see some very nice design concepts on apple products, and an awful lot of fluff.
Microsoft however is largely just plain stupid, but it saves me a lot of compatibility problems in the field I work in.

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2022, 2:23 pm

I only think that there stuff is interesting with alternatives to x86 although they do exist just making it more viable. I hate their operating systems for Macs and iDevices.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2022, 8:28 am

I'm obssesed by how much of a hypocrite Apple is. They say they are eco-friendly, yet they are at the cutting edge of anti repair practises, all their devices are made in such a way, they have a limited lifespan and very difficult way of fixing. They treat the customers as stupid donkeys, while the "genious bar" is seriously lacking in actuall tech knowledge (at least in my experience). They have a written path of action, very well studied, but nobody get off it, ask something that's not basic and you'll get "the face".

Never bought an Apple product myself, but been given a few ones over the years, usually with some sort of issue. Every single time, I've fixed it, and sold it. I don't like the OS they have at all and their obssesion with controlling what you can and what you can't do with your own device.

I do admire them though... Selling stuff for 5x or 10x their logical price and having an army of customers that will defend them till deth and beyond while being heavily screwed by Apple themselves. THAT is an accomplishment I can't ignore. Not that I like it, but I got to admit it... their marketing department is one of the best in the world, and the image the company gives is impeccable. Still, they can stick their iShi*** up in their a***.

The Mauve Factor

15 Oct 2022, 12:49 am

I'm not much of a brand-loyalist, personally. I kind of like to think that they all make good stuff, bad stuff on occasion, and mediocre things in between. Apple has been highly innovative, but other brands have as well, so retrocomputing in itself is a bit of a candy store with many different flavors to choose from.

Even when it comes to phones, I just see pros and cons on either side. But personally, I just want more freedom with my devices without having to jailbreak for anything that isn't deemed 'store-friendly'. Sometimes a generic controller connected via OTG and some retroarch is just too much to ask for. lol

Likewise, I can't really crap on any of the companies either for their lack of innovation, because it's a hard game. I couldn't do it, so anyone who even tries is doing better than I am. If I don't like the current state of iPhones due to their restrictions, I just don't buy one - I probably don't have the money anyway, so that's an easy one to solve.

In another timeline, I think I could've been a Commodore fanboy. I was pretty close in this life, but a little too young.

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2022, 8:10 pm

considering the suicide nets at the ipod factory.. um.. nope.. no love for apple here... or their walled garden ecosystem and overpriced for what they are products... theres no phone on the planet worth over $100... and the specs of a mac mini compared to asking price was like a bad joke...

the apple 2 was an interesting bit of kit but anything after the apple 2 series is closed box 'kitchen appliance' junk...
the math needed to draw a simple line using mono hi-res mode was insane due to woz 'save a chip' design.. so the graphics modes -- if you can call them that -- were a nightmare... but the 'hacker' value was always there... especially considering you could order schematics for those computers.. letting you fix your own computer with a soldering iron if you should so desire..

wozinak was a computer design genius..

jobs was a bloodthirsty cold-hearted corporate heel that im honestly glad is no longer with us...