Page 1 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:01 pm

White House confirms that Biden will pick Black woman for Supreme Court seat

Even if well-intended this is fundamentally racist because it would exclude potentially more qualified justices due to their gender and race.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:04 pm

Yup, and whatever black woman he picked will always know that she was picked for the color and configuration of her genitals rather than her legal aptitude. What a joke.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 8:30 pm

He really could have accomplished this without the big announcement about how it was the intention beforehand. The performative stuff distracts from the result and makes it harder to invalidate certain lines of criticism out of hand, regardless of how unfair they might be.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
He really could have accomplished this without the big announcement about how it was the intention beforehand. The performative stuff distracts from the result and makes it harder to invalidate certain lines of criticism out of hand, regardless of how unfair they might be.

Indeed, people might have wondered had his nominee been impeccably qualified but also of this particular demographic, but by announcing out front that the demographics were in fact the primary qualification, he's just poisoned his own nominee, forever putting whoever she is under suspicion of being a mere "diversity hire" rather than an outstanding jurist in her own right.

This is the kind of political malpractice that has continually shocked me coming from the Biden White House, I knew I was going to have policy disagreements with the man, I knew I wasn't going to like many of his appointees or executive orders, but I thought that after all those years in congress, he's have a better idea of how to play the game at least. I don't want to pile on to the often unfair "senile old man" attacks on Biden, but missteps like this really do make we wonder who is in charge at the White House.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 9:59 pm

This is the name floating around at the moment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketanji_Brown_Jackson

Seems decent enough, I always like to see public defender experience in a judge.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:03 pm

I think it is excellent when black people get represented at the highest levels. I thought Obama's policies were awful, but, he did a lot for black representation & was a key figure really for black empowerment.

We have Diane Abbott here in the United Kingdom & oh boy, does she embarrass black people?!

Having an incompetent black person in power is worse than having no black person in power, depending on the context.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:07 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Having an incompetent black person in power is worse than having no black person in power, depending on the context.

There's probably no reason to suspect the two candidates (Leondra Kruger or Ketanji Brown Jackson) aren't capable of holding a supreme court position.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
Yup, and whatever black woman he picked will always know that she was picked for the color and configuration of her genitals rather than her legal aptitude. What a joke.

Not quite as funny as picking a conservative rapist

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 2:32 am

cyberdad wrote:

You mean the guy with the squeaky clean record who was conveniently accused of drunkenly feeling up a girl at a high-school party 30+ years ago, with no supporting evidence, no witnesses, and no proof that he'd ever even met the woman in question just as the Democrats were scrambling for a reason to oppose his nomination? That's an odd definition of "rapist" you're using there, even Tara Reade had more corroboration of her accusation against Biden.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 3:28 am

I think it’s always been part of the deal. I’ve been hearing it since before the election. “We did X for him, he has to do Y for us.” Pretty sure this was on the list.

Not really my favorite side of politics, these kinds of bargains. But all politicians make them.

LiverpoolAspergian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2022, 11:44 am

I am colourblind, race is an irreverence, the amount of melanin in your skin has no bearing on your skills or character. Yet, time and time again, people fall for it, the progressive Left who talk about being "woke" and the conservative Right who talk about their "race".

Oh please, who you are is far more important than what you are. White? Black? Heterosexual? Homosexual? Who cares? The only thing that matters is benevolence and intelligence.

There, I said it, you know who else said it:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King Junior

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:48 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You mean the guy with the squeaky clean record who was conveniently accused of drunkenly feeling up a girl at a high-school party 30+ years ago, with no supporting evidence, no witnesses, and no proof that he'd ever even met the woman in question just as the Democrats were scrambling for a reason to oppose his nomination? That's an odd definition of "rapist" you're using there, even Tara Reade had more corroboration of her accusation against Biden.

How about "sexual assault" (SA). Blasey Ford (the victim) was still sexually assaulted. You might have left out that the victim who came forward is now a clinical psychologist who actually treats rape victims, put her professional credentials at risk and swore under oath her testimony was true.

There is peer reviewed evidence that is undeniable that many of the victims of rape or SA go into catatonia during the assault and (according to Blasey-Ford) the only thing that saved her was the "esteemed" supreme court judge was too drunk to take off her dress.

The very fact that was hanging over his reputation should have been enough to make him resign, But he wasn't embarrassed because he had the POTUS behind him (another individual with a history of "alleged" SA) and the POTUS created a culture in the republican party where old school racists, far right thinkers and misogynists could prosper freely.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 10:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Blasey Ford (the victim) was still sexually assaulted.

Allegedly. We don't convict people based on mere accusations, especially when there is exactly zero corroborating evidence; she couldn't even say where this alleged assault was supposed to have taken place.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 12:39 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Blasey Ford (the victim) was still sexually assaulted.

Allegedly. We don't convict people based on mere accusations, especially when there is exactly zero corroborating evidence; she couldn't even say where this alleged assault was supposed to have taken place.

Agreed! (the new cyberdad wants to maintain the correct legal context in his language) it remains alleged. However the testimony of Blasey-Ford was very persuasive enough for Brett Kavanaugh to launch into a highly controversial reply to questions about his condiuct where he was wriggling and squirming uncomfortably and being aggressive in his tone,
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/musli ... 9488b6b661

At a bare minimum his conduct during the hearing was not becoming of a supreme court judge and a much bigger joke than appointing a female black judge.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:38 am

Reagan put the first woman on the Supreme court. Did that make Ronny sexist?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:40 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Reagan put the first woman on the Supreme court. Did that make Ronny sexist?

Ye Olde double standard