I’m Having A Living Nightmare

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 11:34 pm

I been having alot of money problems, I’m scared I won’t have money for rent & bills, this is effecting me soooo much, this is effecting me mentally & physically. I wish I was dead.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 3:51 am

Do you know anyone who can help you with your budgeting?

I wholeheartedly relate to the overwhelming nature of balancing the books. Choosing between heating my home, or putting food on the table.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 11:39 am

Does your rent cost more than your monthly income? Are your savings/inheritance accounts being depleted? Are you spending money on things unnecessarily and coming up short on rent?

Probably many more questions that could be asked, but really, as was mentioned above it sounds like you need someone who's in your life in real life to have a look at your finances and help figure out your budgeting issues.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 12:40 pm

Might look into Social services organizations the the local city or county government might be offering . Often they can help getting you into programs that help with rent and things, Including some food pantries , often those can be found at local churches, Where you might look up the number for the church and ask to speak with a church leader or Pastor . To find out about if they offer a food pantry, call several .
Try to hang onto a more positive attitude . Your worst enemy can be yourself in very hard situations .
Am sorry your going through such a rough time .

where ever you go ,there you are

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 1:05 pm

Didn't you have a lot of inheritance or some sort of trust available to you?

If so what's happened? Such sums of money are always finite and it might be a serious problem if you're running out. If it's a trustee limiting your finds then you can do something about it.

If you are living from a finite amount of money then it will eventually catch up with you at a time you're at you're most vulnerable. It's always better to preempt the problem than let it creep up on you.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 2:05 pm

Nades wrote:

If so what's happened? Such sums of money are always finite and it might be a serious problem if you're running out. If it's a trustee limiting your finds then you can do something about it.

If you are living from a finite amount of money then it will eventually catch up with you at a time you're at you're most vulnerable. It's always better to preempt the problem than let it creep up on you.

That's the thing. She has mentioned the inheritance and her sister setting things up. I do wonder if basic math mistakes were made and the fund is depleting to pay for regular monthly expenses and no one did any long term math to see when it might run out.. Also, she's mentioned her sister wanting/needing money IIRC. So there may be more at play but I can't recall all of the details.

Overall, the best thing would be to have someone well versed in finances take a look at the account(s), income, expenses & budget and see what the situation is and what changes may need to be made. I have no idea if the OP has any family, friends, neighbours, social workers or advocates that can assist with this process - but it does sound like she needs to reach out to someone to help her analyze the figures and formulate a plan.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 3:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Nades wrote:

That's the thing. She has mentioned the inheritance and her sister setting things up. I do wonder if basic math mistakes were made and the fund is depleting to pay for regular monthly expenses and no one did any long term math to see when it might run out.. Also, she's mentioned her sister wanting/needing money IIRC. So there may be more at play but I can't recall all of the details.

Overall, the best thing would be to have someone well versed in finances take a look at the account(s), income, expenses & budget and see what the situation is and what changes may need to be made. I have no idea if the OP has any family, friends, neighbours, social workers or advocates that can assist with this process - but it does sound like she needs to reach out to someone to help her analyze the figures and formulate a plan.

Perhaps OP's sister is actually a trustee of her money and she might not know. Perhaps money might be intentionally drip fed as a condition of the trust and not given out on a whim. It doesn't even need to be basic maths mistakes, the maths can be perfect but if the funds run out then they run out.

An accountant is by far the best person to ask I think for any serious problems. Accountants have helped me save money in ways I never expected. They're always well versed in law as much as money and can find loopholes/obscure solutions to a lot of problems.

It should be noted however, if the money genuinely is running out an accountant or lawyer can do little to make more money appear. They can set someone up for welfare but that's their limits. It might just be a case of money being rationed as a result of a depleting fund and OP should take this very seriously.

I think the first call she should make is to whoever is controlling her funds, perhaps OP might find out any trustee is intentionally being ruthless through lack of funds or doubts over OP's ability to handle money. The second step assuming no answers have been provided is to go to an accountant.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 3:42 pm

Jakki wrote:
Might look into Social services organizations the the local city or county government might be offering . Often they can help getting you into programs that help with rent and things, Including some food pantries , often those can be found at local churches, Where you might look up the number for the church and ask to speak with a church leader or Pastor . To find out about if they offer a food pantry, call several .
Try to hang onto a more positive attitude . Your worst enemy can be yourself in very hard situations .
Am sorry your going through such a rough time .

This is good advice. There is an organisation in my city who help people with things like this. There may be an organisation local to Kitty that can help her work out what she can do financially.

Kitty, do you have a support worker you can speak to? If not your doctor may be able to point you in the right direction.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 9:24 pm

Nades wrote:

My mom did leave me, my sister & my nephew money, the money is running out. My sister confused me, she got me very scared, the money is running low, but she told me I have enough money until next month, last year she told me a different amount. She getting a loan, she was going to sell her house, if she wait to sell then me, her& my nephew will get more money.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 9:30 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Nades wrote:

My mom did leave me, my sister & my nephew money, the money is running out. My sister confused me, she got me very scared, the money is running low, but she told me I have enough money until next month, last year she told me a different amount. She getting a loan, she was going to sell her house, if she wait to sell then me, her& my nephew will get more money.

From this post I assume your inheritance was not an extremely large amount of money that would pay for rent and food etc for the rest of your life.

Surely someone would have done some math on the amount of money and your monthly expenses and would have figured out in advance how long the money would last, no?

Do you also have a regular source of monthly income ? Whatever your local words for "Welfare/Social Assistance," or "Disability," income are ? If so, is it enough money to pay for rent and food and the basics you need?

Someone in your life should be doing some basic budgeting and figuring these things out for you if you don't know the answers.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 9:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Does your rent cost more than your monthly income? Are your savings/inheritance accounts being depleted? Are you spending money on things unnecessarily and coming up short on rent?

Probably many more questions that could be asked, but really, as was mentioned above it sounds like you need someone who's in your life in real life to have a look at your finances and help figure out your budgeting issues.

My rent is over 1,600. I only buy things that I really need, I still have iPhone 7.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 9:51 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

My rent is over 1,600. I only buy things that I really need, I still have iPhone 7.

Is that a low price for rent where you live? Just curious if you're living in a place that's too big or fancy for your needs - if you have any options of moving to a cheaper home so you can more easily afford it ?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 3:55 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

That's a lot of rent to pay. I agree with goldfish. If possible moving somewhere cheaper will save you a hell of a lot.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 3:59 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Nades wrote:

From what you're saying and reading between the lines of what your sister told you, you might only have a few months of money left, if that.

This seems more like a job for social security now and I would get in touch with the authorities responsible for it sooner than later.

I would personally not take out any loans or sell anything. Money running completely dry is a reality you will have to face and at best your sisters plans is just prolonging the inevitable. I would financially ring-fence houses as they're far more permanent and valuable as a safety net on title deeds than they are converted into a cash safety net. If she sells the house for cash and then the cash runs out (which it will) she will have not a single penny to her name.

What you implied is that the house is also jointly shared between you, your sister and cousin and assumedly your mother's house? If it is why not live in it together if the living arraignments allow or put it up for let? Your biggest concern by far is rent. It's what's obliterated your inheritance.

I think mistakes were made very early on with what to do with this inheritance and it's probably nobodies fault.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 5:12 pm

Get moving on the social security quickly, they move slow.It may be best to get legal aid that specializes in disability law.