Antiwork implodes after redittor mod interview on Fox

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 5:01 am

So the antiwork sub has gone private because one non-media savvy mod took it upon themselves to be a spokesperson on Fox News.

Problem is, here we have a transgender, autistic person on live camera without prepared notes forgetting to highlight main points from the user base. Absolute fodder for Fox. But does this show lack of understanding from the public's view in that they don't understand autistic traits and look past that or was the mods argument bad (or non-exiatent).

Discuss

https://mashable.com/article/antiwork-subreddit-fox-news-interview

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:49 am

hurtloam wrote:
So the antiwork sub has gone private because one non-media savvy mod took it upon themselves to be a spokesperson on Fox News.

Problem is, here we have a transgender, autistic person on live camera without prepared notes forgetting to highlight main points from the user base. Absolute fodder for Fox. But does this show lack of understanding from the public's view in that they don't understand autistic traits and look past that or was the mods argument bad (or non-exiatent).

Discuss

https://mashable.com/article/antiwork-subreddit-fox-news-interview

there wasn't much of an argument, there wasn't much of anything but the fox host doing the most convenient thing for him and his target audience.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 7:53 am

I saw that, it was like FOX went straight to central casting for a stereotype of a loser reddit mod, they couldn't have done better if they tried.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 9:38 am

Tons of abelism on Reddit about this. Attack the interview but not the person and what is wrong with being a dog walker? And it's common for ASD people not being able to work long hours and 20 hours a week can be too much. But great seeing how they feel about us.

Now I am confused about what anti work is about. I thought it was about being given a living wage, not be exploited, not be forced to work off the clock or be called on your days off and be forced to work, being given good benefits for working and nice bonuses than a dingy item, and be treated well at work.

Workreform sub had been created.

BTW I had no idea the person was trans until I read it in the YouTube comments. There is tons of misgendering on Reddit, people are calling them a she or a he but only some of it is actual transphobia. I was not able to tell if I was looking at a man or a woman and I didn't catch the name. The person is non binary. I had never even heard of them till now and didn't know which mid they were.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 9:41 am

And Fox News got what they wanted. They only wanted this person because they knew Doreen would fail. It fit their narrative about antiwork. Tons of users were pissed and Doreen started to ban people who criticized their interview and used the wrong pronouns assuming it was intentional.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:48 pm

Even Daily Mail has an article on it already:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ement.html

However, I think some of Ford's words are being taken out of context:

Quote:
To which Ford responded: 'I think laziness is a virtue in a society where people constantly want you to be productive 24/7, and it's good to have rest.

'That doesn't mean you should be resting all the time or not putting effort into the things that you care about,' added Ford.

They never said people should never have to work. They just think people shouldn't have to work 24/7 and not put effort into things you care about.

But of course this is Fox News so of course anyone working for them will twist your words to fit their narrative. Never trust them nor the right wing.

Quote:
'I have a 20-25 hour work week, which I think is fairly good,' she says.

Of course admitted later they lied and they actually work 10 hours a week walking dogs. Also this article is misgendering. It's they because non binary. But perhaps the author doesn't know it so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

Ford also runs a website and a Patreon page to run a podcast and I wonder how that is going to go now because they had been exposed as a past sexual abuser and they got doxxed and this was spreaded and a screenshot posted where they posted about it on their Facebook. Trans people on reddit are pissed, people who were part of the antiwork movement were pissed as well and even angrier when they found this out too.

Quote:
The most common reason they quit was because they found new jobs with better pay, working conditions and better work-life balance, according to the study, which surveyed 2,000 Americans.

And this was the purpose of antiwork right as we thought what the sub was about.

Also Ford is on the autistic spectrum so of course they would want to work less and not full time. Ripping on them about it is ableism.

Quote:
'They fell right into the trap Fox News wanted them to. The only acceptable things go do there would be to decline the interview, or hire a media professional to represent you,' they wrote.

And I agree with this speculation. This was all a plan by Fox News and they purposely picked Ford to fit their narrative. This is why people are pissed and they blame Ford because they could have turned it down. Ford was even told by the other sub mods to not do this but went behind their backs and did it anyway, how narcissist. This is why people are pissed and why this has been all over Reddit. even r/loveforlandlords is using this as a meme for their satire.

r/workreform has taken its new place after this happened.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 12:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
r/workreform has taken its new place after this happened.

Not really, that's more like the version for neo-liberal types with far lower ambitions. It's like antiwork minus everything that makes antiwork appealing. Seems too astroturfy to be of interest, I'll wait until more organic replacements emerge, LSC and a few others seem better for now.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:11 pm

Well this got interesting, now people are petitioning to shut down the sub now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comme ... rantiwork/

:|

But at least members in it are disagreeing with the OP.