98-year-old Auschwitz Survivor Reveals She Has Never Thought

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 1:32 am

When the German, white-bread oppressors, insist you are wrong about everything and that they are liberating you, by murdering you.

And then treat you as if you never existed, and as if the holocaust never happened...

Probably claiming that holocaust deniers are conspiracy theorists, because these people know it happened - they had a hand in it themselves. :evil:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 1:56 am

Germany in 1946 was a country suffering mass amnesia.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 5:57 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yes.

I liken it to today's woke generation, who have ruined countless lives with their contribution to the cancellation of innocent men & women, who have done nothing but express their profoundly held values as part of their own cultures'.

The wokeologists don't remember any of it. It never happened.

How convenient. :roll:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:23 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes.

I liken it to today's woke generation, who have ruined countless lives with their contribution to the cancellation of innocent men & women, who have done nothing but express their profoundly held values as part of their own cultures'.

Civilization will always be about the inclusion of some and exclusion of other. Without the enforcement of ideals, it falls apart. If it's not "woke" people, it will be someone else.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:56 am

HighLlama wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes.

Civilization will always be about the inclusion of some and exclusion of other. Without the enforcement of ideals, it falls apart. If it's not "woke" people, it will be someone else.

This is true.

Personally, I think that freedom includes as many people as possible. But, as history has shown, freedom comes with a heavy price for those excluded, also.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 1:15 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes.

Facing public criticism is the same as industrial genocide now?

Imagine all the trouble Germany and the world could have been spared if only Hitler was cancelled by his countrymen in the 1920s.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 1:43 pm

I don't see why she would want to remove her tattoo. Maybe to her it's a memory of her survival and her strength and how she battled through it. I remember a friend online tried to do a gotcha on me by comparing concentration camps to removing confederate statues so I told him "Jewish people see Concentration camps as gravesites where many of the victims died and as a memorial site for survivors. Confederate statues does not mean those."

Honesty I have no idea if my friend was this dense or just trolling me but it's mixed with him which is why I have put up with it all from him and it's done in PM.

BTW I have never seen wokes fight against this.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:26 pm

Comparing cancel culture to the Holocaust is laughable and indicative of the depth of this side's victim complex. You guys need to grow some thicker skin or you'll all collectively brown your pants at the first sign of actual oppression.

Your not being allowed to deny the ubiquity of racism say sh***y things about trans people without facing social consequences is not comparable to millions of Jews, queers, Roma, and neurodivergents who were murdered for doing literally nothing.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Imagine all the trouble Germany and the world could have been spared if only Hitler was cancelled by his countrymen in the 1920s.

To be fair to the German people, Hitler and the brownshirts were actually propped up by the German aristocracy/military in order to counter the growing popularity of the communist party. Many of the aristocrats feared a "French revolution" and thought they could manipulate/control Hitler as Nazis were the natural enemies of the communists.

Once Hitler gained control of the army and police then it was easier to win over the German people in the 1933 election (I think even then he didn't get a majority so had to force the result). Of course the German people were mostly willing collaborators (to quote Harvard professor William Goldhagen) through years of programming.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Comparing cancel culture to the Holocaust is laughable and indicative of the depth of this side's victim complex. You guys need to grow some thicker skin or you'll all collectively brown your pants at the first sign of actual oppression.

Your not being allowed to deny the ubiquity of racism say sh***y things about trans people without facing social consequences is not comparable to millions of Jews, queers, Roma, and neurodivergents who were murdered for doing literally nothing.

Actually, a lot of people who want & defend freedom of speech, support trans-rights, yet simply defend the freedom of speech to not agree with trans rights (anti-trans arguments are easily defeated in the modern day, with open dialogue).

Abolishing free speech due to the moral weight of needing to accept trans people is not remotely the way to go about things politically. Abolishing free speech is a logical & societal dead end and brings about a far greater catastrophe than the struggle of trans folk.

Framing the argument as freedom of speech = anti-trans is a false dichotomy.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 7:03 pm

Holy crap regulating speech is not abolishing free speech. Most people agree to limited regulations of speech in certain instances. You cannot shout Fire! In a crowded theater because people will panic and trample each other. You cannot whip a mob into a frenzy to try and kill someone (unless you're Trump, apparently). We all know what happens if you spread anti-Semitic ideas, and what happens if that speech is legally protected.

Of course anti-trans arguments fall apart in open, honest, logical debate. That does not mean people will stop spouting anti-trans arguments, because these people are not logical. And the result of expressing anti-trans is trans people being bullied, being kicked out of their homes by their parents, being driven to suicide, being murdered by fundamentalists, and being treated as disgusting perverted deviants.

The trans people who have to deal with these things do not have the luxury of waiting around for the marketplace of ideas to weed out anti-trans sentiments. It's hate speech that benefits no one. Shouting 'free speech!' in defense of such things does nothing except debase the very idea of freedom of speech. It's a matter of life and death for some. We are not waiting around for transphobes to collectively pulls their heads out of their a**es. It's time to move on and stop treating these people as if their arguments deserve respect or protection.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:25 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Holy crap regulating speech is not abolishing free speech. Most people agree to limited regulations of speech in certain instances. You cannot shout Fire! In a crowded theater because people will panic and trample each other. You cannot whip a mob into a frenzy to try and kill someone (unless you're Trump, apparently). We all know what happens if you spread anti-Semitic ideas, and what happens if that speech is legally protected.

Of course anti-trans arguments fall apart in open, honest, logical debate. That does not mean people will stop spouting anti-trans arguments, because these people are not logical. And the result of expressing anti-trans is trans people being bullied, being kicked out of their homes by their parents, being driven to suicide, being murdered by fundamentalists, and being treated as disgusting perverted deviants.

The trans people who have to deal with these things do not have the luxury of waiting around for the marketplace of ideas to weed out anti-trans sentiments. It's hate speech that benefits no one. Shouting 'free speech!' in defense of such things does nothing except debase the very idea of freedom of speech. It's a matter of life and death for some. We are not waiting around for transphobes to collectively pulls their heads out of their a**es. It's time to move on and stop treating these people as if their arguments deserve respect or protection.

I wasn't arguing against the regulation of free speech. I do believe people should be punished for transphobic remarks, but this should be done through proper, authoritative channels - not dirt slinging on social media, for example.

Otherwise, the dirt-slingers are as bad as the transphobes, essentially.

Regulation of speech has to be done in the proper way, and through the proper channels. If someone is discriminating against a person - it is a police matter, not a social media matter, in any case.

If there are problems with the police enforcing order in this respect - that is an issue for police reform, not an excuse to be an idiot on social media.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:33 pm

It's all contextual & nuanced, also. If you turn up to a debate in a studio & state that you think that trans people are deluded - that would be in the nature of structured, free speech & debate.

If you are terrorising people in the streets, shouting transphobic slurs, that's a completely different issue.

So even though these two things are both transphobic, one instance is acceptable & the other is not acceptable.

People need to start thinking clearly on this issue.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Of course anti-trans arguments fall apart in open, honest, logical debate. That does not mean people will stop spouting anti-trans arguments, because these people are not logical. And the result of expressing anti-trans is trans people being bullied, being kicked out of their homes by their parents, being driven to suicide, being murdered by fundamentalists, and being treated as disgusting perverted deviants..

How about religious schools (Jewish, christian and muslim) being legally allowed to kick staff or students out of their schools who are LGBRQI? no amount of "logical" debate is going to make them change their admissions/recruitment policy.
Some backward social problems are too deeply rooted for now to allow honest logical debate and require government intervention.

For starters, religious schools who practice discrimination on the basis of race, religion or sexual orientation should receive $0,00 in subsidies from the government.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:
Of course anti-trans arguments fall apart in open, honest, logical debate. That does not mean people will stop spouting anti-trans arguments, because these people are not logical. And the result of expressing anti-trans is trans people being bullied, being kicked out of their homes by their parents, being driven to suicide, being murdered by fundamentalists, and being treated as disgusting perverted deviants..

How about religious schools (Jewish, christian and muslim) being legally allowed to kick staff or students out of their schools who are LGBRQI? no amount of "logical" debate is going to make them change their admissions/recruitment policy.
Some backward social problems are too deeply rooted for now to allow honest logical debate and require government intervention.

For starters, religious schools who practice discrimination on the basis of race, religion or sexual orientation should receive $0,00 in subsidies from the government.

I disagree with this notion completely.

Christian schools are mostly LGBTQ+ friendly in the United Kingdom nowadays, and that will probably become the case for the United States in the future, too.

Muslim & Jewish schools are perfectly valid and should be exempt from having to abide by LGBTQ+ regulations, otherwise, you are enforcing ideology on those people from LGBTQ+ folk, and that's not okay, whichever way you look at it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:56 pm

But yet making a competition to sign for a homopbobic to be fired or leaving the school and not wanting to attend there is wrong? Wow, I wonder what your rules are for taking proper measures for hate speech.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.