Feeling deep shame about embarrassing things I’ve done.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GamerGirl88
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2022, 1:51 pm

I know that everyone, regardless of whether they’re neurodivergent or typical, has done embarrassing things and probably will embarrass themselves again in the future, but it’s much worse and more frequent with me, IMO.

The things I’ve done I don’t feel are normal embarrassing things. I realized I embarrassed myself again in public on Wednesday and it put me in a foul mood the rest of the day.

I did a family member a favor by heading to a local business to get some documents faxed for them. I admitted to the clerk that I have never faxed anything before, which is not normal for a 33-year-old.

I overshared by telling the clerk that the family member wants their documents (2 total) faxed twice for reassurance because the recipient can be incompetent but then *I* was the one who looked incompetent a bit later when two different employees had to explain to me why the receipt shows 3 pages faxed instead of 4.
I never want to set foot in there again. A simple concept and I botched it.

I still remember accidentally starting fights in high school by running my mouth. I remember upsetting a boy I liked by staring at him, which led to him bullying me.

I remember acting awkward and desperate with men I pined for and look back at all of it and metaphorically hang my head in shame at how immature, unintelligent, foolish, et cetera, I acted — and I was well past the age where we’re supposed to know and do better and most people do.

I feel like I’m not good enough to get the men I desire (I’m realistic about who I can and cannot attract) and will forever be alone or have to settle.

I often wish I could have a restart of life but knowing what I do now.

Sorry for the mini book.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:00 pm

Well . . . you seemed to have learned something from these "mistakes".

No need to feel shame, though.  I am sure a lot of us could relate similar things we have done (or worse), so no judgements here.

Welcome to WP!

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet :D

It's not the 'mistakes' per se , it's how you view them. Rumination can be a big issue for those who are ASD ( some believe it's possibly part of the core ASD symptoms).

Here are a few tips that may or may not help.

Quote:
Reduce Anxiety – There are many strategies to reduce anxiety so try using a variety of strategies.

Exercise – Being physically active can reduce stress and increase feelings of well-being.

Get Outside in Nature – There are a number of studies done on the benefits of nature . Walking in nature can reduce perseverative thoughts.

Distraction – While this may not work every time, providing a distraction can take a person’s mind off what it bothering them.

Meditation or meditation techniques – There are also books on mindfulness practice, but keep in mind that not every person with autism can do this successfully.

Develop Interoceptive Awareness – Interoception is considered to be the eighth sense and tells us a lot about our internal state – are we hungry, tired, thirsty, hot, cold, or in pain. It is also tied into our emotions and self-regulation. Being able to understand how these emotions feel in the body and mind could also potentially help with rumination.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:02 pm

I honestly didn't even know anywhere in the world still used fax machines. Never used one; they were dying out here when I was in my teens, and I'm older than you are! I know they have a reputation as sodding awkward machines to use- my dad was very glad to see the back of them.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:33 pm

GamerGirl88 wrote:
I admitted to the clerk that I have never faxed anything before, which is not normal for a 33-year-old..

More the other way round anyone under 40 is unlikely to have ever used a fax machine before

I wouldnt worry about it

- George Bernie Shaw

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 4:46 pm

Don't worry, I've done things I frown upon now. I hate my teenage self for all the stupid, embarrassing things I done. I know all teenagers embarrass themselves but the things I done were due to social immaturity and ADHD impulsiveness. :oops:

In fact some of the things I did still haunt me to this day.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 5:21 pm

I have f****d up to perfection.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 5:27 pm

There are so many things I have never done before, and I just tell people that.

i was having trouble with some technical thing and, knowing in advance that tech support can sometimes be snippy and demeaning to people who don't understand the tech stuff, I started this call with the following:

While you are explaining this to me, pretend I am your 68 year old gramma and you have to explain everything to her, slowly and carefully.

He laughed and the call went great.

Being able to laugh at one's self is a good tool to have.

GamerGirl88
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2022, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the replies, peeps. The things is, I continue to screw up and it kills me inside. Semi-recently, I made an insensitive comment in a Facebook group of which I’m a member. Even though the guilt has mostly subsided, I still cringe a bit at what I said — I had no intention to harm and just wasn’t thinking.

A woman talked about how her relative recently passed away and she saw a sign from him (or something along those lines) and I, being an atheist and skeptic, made a comment in that context, not aware of the fact that the guy had passed recently, so her wound was probably fresh. It would have still been insensitive even if he had passed decades ago. :|

I’ve also done many cringey things, like post on a PUBLIC Facebook page a hint about the guy I was in love with at the time, referring to him and knowing he’d probably see it. I was about 25 or 26 then, so definitely old enough to know and do better. Sigh…

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:11 pm

I'm fairly good at blocking things out. I've done embarrassing things, like most people. I try to live in the moment. And that works. 95% of the time.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:53 pm

GamerGirl88 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, peeps. The things is, I continue to screw up and it kills me inside. Semi-recently, I made an insensitive comment in a Facebook group of which I’m a member. Even though the guilt has mostly subsided, I still cringe a bit at what I said — I had no intention to harm and just wasn’t thinking.

A woman talked about how her relative recently passed away and she saw a sign from him (or something along those lines) and I, being an atheist and skeptic, made a comment in that context, not aware of the fact that the guy had passed recently, so her wound was probably fresh. It would have still been insensitive even if he had passed decades ago. :|

I’ve also done many cringey things, like post on a PUBLIC Facebook page a hint about the guy I was in love with at the time, referring to him and knowing he’d probably see it. I was about 25 or 26 then, so definitely old enough to know and do better. Sigh…

People have different beliefs. I don't think you were being insensitive there, and feeling guilty about it is perfectly normal and it means you are not heartless.
I remember when my mum's (NT) friend laughed at my mum's other friend who had just announced that her cat had died (the first friend doesn't like cats). She didn't think before she laughed, and only realised like a nanosecond afterwards. And it was the first time the two had met, so I can imagine how awkward it must have been for her.

Anyway, please keep posting here on WP. If you think you might have screwed up or something, you're always welcome to vent about it here. :heart:

GamerGirl88
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2022, 7:18 pm

People have different beliefs, yes, but my comment seems to be inappropriate still. I was basically sh*tting on her parade, being a jerk by dashing her hope.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 12:02 pm

I often wish I could have a restart of life but knowing what I do now.

Every new day is a restart.

Shame and guilt are useful insofar as one can learn from them, be motivated to make what corrections one can, and even draw upon those feelings of make changes. However, once everything useful is extracted from them, these feelings can become toxic if held on to for too long.

GamerGirl88
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2022, 2:49 pm

Thank you (not sure how to reply to specific people or even if I can do so).

I am worried I am not redeemable.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm

I am sorry for the shame. I am right there with you. I say I am so very proud and pleased with myself unto myself, but in relation to others I am so very ashamed. I would like to at least change my cognition from "ashamed" to "embarrassed", lighten it up a bit from there to "awkward" maybe then simply "different". I am self aware --- too self aware. My ASD BFF but is the unaware type. Pros and Cons. She has more inward success (self esteem) and I have more outward success (achievements).

My ASD mom has withdrawn from the world to avoid embarrassment/shame. I have pushed myself and face often am raw with consequences. I want something in between: be out there, more safely --- with ways to manage "awkward" interactions. I want to get to a confident, light place "oh, people like me..." or better "thanks for understanding..." (even if they don't, I could suggest what they might understand)

Hang in there. I dread going anywhere which is unfamiliar and I am expected to interact with people. Still I do it. Mostly it's fine (with great effort I keep the awkwardness to a level 3), but sometimes it goes spectacularly wrong. But by golly, I deserve to be out there and I'll keep trying. Remember it's a matter of our discomfort relative to others. So often we take the lion's share of discomfort on ourselves. It's ok for us to "share" it. We'll all be better for it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm

GamerGirl88 wrote:
Thank you (not sure how to reply to specific people or even if I can do so).

I am worried I am not redeemable.

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You reply to a particular post by tapping on the quote box located on the upper right part
of the post you want to reply to.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman