Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 12:04 pm

Like several people here in the US, I’ve grown weary of what internet culture has become. While I used to think that this was only a problem in the Anglosphere, some basic research proved my hunch wrong. Several people in India, Indonesia, Japan, the Middle East & South Korea have failed to use their online presence as a force for good. Does anyone know where else the internet has become terrible?

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm

I see what you mean. The internet, mostly the online media/social media, is mostly owned by tyrants who are going to mute/cancel anyone who might get in the way of them making profits. I thought the internet was cool at first, because people from all over the world could communicate together. Since then, divisions started, racism etc. .... to the point where there are clans left and right and it's become very divisive. We can't go without the internet these days.. unless a kinda "magnetic" asteroid comes close to Earth, that could wipe out all magnetic built devices contaning information, but usually these asteroids travel far from Earth so nothing is lost.. whether it is a good or bad thing. lol

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:12 pm

The problem isn't the Internet itself. The problem comes from an attempt by governments and corporations to regulate what the Internet can/cannot be.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 3:20 am

If anyone wants to know the #1 reason I hate the internet right now, GO HERE.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 8:36 am

I don't happen to agree with you.

I feel like the Internet has been a force for bad and for good.

But mostly for good.

Now, if I lose my driver's license, I can get a new temporary one right away, costing $3. Back before the Internet, I had to wait a couple of weeks to get a new copy, costing about $75 or so.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 11:29 am

LonelyJar wrote:
... have failed to use their online presence as a force for good. Does anyone know where else the internet has become terrible?

I think the first part of that got it; it isn't that the internet is terrible, it is that people are terrible & terrible people use and abuse the internet just like terrible people use and abuse everything and everyone else they touch.

In the flavor of what kraftiekortie has said about the internet allowing good things, the existence of the internet has been, and right now is, a very good thing for those of us in the disability community and for those of us in the incurable diseases community; also for the health care providers and the health researchers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 12:17 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
Like several people here in the US, I’ve grown weary of what internet culture has become. While I used to think that this was only a problem in the Anglosphere, some basic research proved my hunch wrong. Several people in India, Indonesia, Japan, the Middle East & South Korea have failed to use their online presence as a force for good. Does anyone know where else the internet has become terrible?
So you believe that the Internet is a terrible mistake because of a few cherry-picked examples.

Let me ask you just one question:

How have you used your activities on the Internet as a force for good?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 7:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
LonelyJar wrote:
So you believe that the Internet is a terrible mistake because of a few cherry-picked examples.

Let me ask you just one question:

How have you used your activities on the Internet as a force for good?[/color]

I don't understand your implied onus here. :scratch:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 4:24 pm

It has been good for most Autistic people because we don't have to rely on nonverbal communication and is a treasure trove of information about our special interests.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 4:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It has been good for most Autistic people because we don't have to rely on nonverbal communication and is a treasure trove of information about our special interests.
It has been good for me in that I have found out I am really not the "Lone Aspie" as I once thought.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

And who needs friends when you have Google. 8)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 8:32 pm

It’s been good for me, as others pointed out, because I am not alone in my weirdness. Where else would I have read about female phenotype in older women?

Although isolated by distance from meetings, I can participate in Quaker meetings by Zoom.

I’ve been thrilled to meet so many different people from all over the world, here and in other specialized forums.

That said, I’m aware of all the negative effects as well.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

19 Apr 2022, 2:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't happen to agree with you.

I feel like the Internet has been a force for bad and for good.

But mostly for good.

Now, if I lose my driver's license, I can get a new temporary one right away, costing $3. Back before the Internet, I had to wait a couple of weeks to get a new copy, costing about $75 or so.

Depending how you use it it can be good or bad. Like if you use it to spread misinformation it becomes very detrimental, even if the person doesnt have that intention. Or like Incels are spreading hatred amongst themselves.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 6:56 pm

In my 27 years with internet access, I have mostly used it like a library.
Don't blame the library for NTs trying to simultaneously turn it into a shopping mall, a redlight district, a dance club and a fascist party rallying ground (with an extra area for swingers) because they don't really like libraries.

Jettm9T9A9D9YouTuber
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2022, 12:48 pm

well their are pros and cons to everything even the internet. pros, it helps talk people talk about their health. the internet lets us make or help create new ideas like how to make a cosplay or art. the internet can help us connect us with others like family and people within your group after all if the internet was a mistake im pretty sure this website won't be a thing. cons, the internet can cause misinformation, if you abuse the power of the internet it can lead to bad habits. its all about the brain your brain is a tool and the most powerful thing nature can make. another bad thing is the hate and toxic people on the internet hackers bots etc. so be carful when giving out personal info. the internet can make us feel bad about our selfs like how we are not perfect and that can also be a bad thing. the truth is in nature no one is perfect and thats not a fact thats truth. and no matter who you are if you think you have a bad life know this their will ALWAYS be someone or something who has a worse life then you. their are things humans cant control and their is nothing we can do but what matters no matter how many planets or universes we (may) have lived on what matters is we help others regardless of who they are or what they believe in earth was not ever meant to be ruled by humans or one animal everything on earth plant animal human etc we are as one. :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 12:59 pm

The Internet embodies at least three of the freedoms Americans hold dear: Free Speech, Free Press, and the Freedom of (Virtual) Assembly.

Taking away the Internet would take away a large portion of each of these freedoms as well.