Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 2:45 pm

I see alot of things on this site about negative aspects of aspergers and im not going to lie...its a little depressing. Are there any people out there who have positive things to say or how aspergers has made them who they are. How it has helped them throughout their lives. I'm just looking to hear some positive things.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jul 2007, 3:05 pm

im fixated on budgets, economy, finance, money, im not trying to be hollow, but i was so good i bought a home 2 years ago... im not even 25 yet...

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 3:10 pm

Well I go to University studying Philosophy and Psychology and can skip the majority of my classes the whole semester and put little, but not all of my effort, into the work and still get a B average.

I wrote 19 songs in the past 6 months (ahah which is why I would skip classes, that and sleeping is hard).

I can stay up for 2 days, you can get a lot done in 2 days.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 3:10 pm

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger" - Confucius

I have encountered one major benefit from AS, I now know my own mind. The only way I've managed to lead a reasonable life is to really study the space between my ears and, each time something went wrong, there was a careful analysis of what happened and what I could do to stop it occuring again. I'm now mentally stronger and whilst the chances of me ending back in psychiatric hospital are not zero they are so close to zero that I need not worry.

Ed Almos

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 3:11 pm

edal wrote:
"That which does not kill you makes you stronger" - Confucius

I have encountered one major benefit from AS, I now know my own mind. The only way I've managed to lead a reasonable life is to really study the space between my ears and, each time something went wrong, there was a careful analysis of what happened and what I could do to stop it occuring again. I'm now mentally stronger and whilst the chances of me ending back in psychiatric hospital are not zero they are so close to zero that I need not worry.

Ed Almos

yeah me too

Apollo13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2007, 4:12 pm

I like my unique perspective on things

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2007, 5:38 pm

I like to systemise things, organise them. At work they let me trawl through the rules and statutes, and condense them into user-friendly guides, and set up and run data bases :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 5:53 pm

Josh,

Negative things are often the first looked at. Frankly, my life could have been worse and now I see that much of the good is due to AS! I just wish I knew about it when I was younger. I would have tried to take better advantage of things, etc... Still, it IS surprising. Some think some things are easy, and I think they are hard, and then find that I viewed them another way and/or they aren't really that good. They say other things are hard, and I often enjoy them and find them easy. I have some ways of thinking and doing things that are unusual and good.

HEY, there are problems, but there are problems with EVERYTHING! Having AS is like having an old AMD CPU against an old INTEL CPU. The AMD may have a slower clock, and a smaller die. It may have a few quirks/problems. It might be slower at math. overall though, it is faster and better! Does that mean the INTEL is better? NOPE! The quirks and problems are because INTEL is considered the norm. BTW Novice AMD owners that never saw an intel system may even attribute WINDOWS bugs to the AMD processor!

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2007, 6:02 pm

I like the fact that I don't get bored easily, since there's always something interesting going on. Even if it's just my own thoughts.

I also like the fact that I think logically. There isn't half enough of that in the world, frankly.

Third, I like my special interests. I really can't imagine what it would be like to be without one. Wouldn't that lead to intense boredom?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 7:51 pm

I like my ability to research all of my interests.