Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 6:20 am

I figure a BMI of around 24-25 is probably where muscular men with little fat should be (normal muscular men), which is the borderline between "healthy" and "overweight" for average individuals.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 12:33 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I figure a BMI of around 24-25 is probably where muscular men with little fat should be (normal muscular men), which is the borderline between "healthy" and "overweight" for average individuals.

By average individuals do you mean guys who are not genetically blessed like mike Tyson?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 3:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

By average individuals do you mean guys who are not genetically blessed like mike Tyson?

mike tyson is a solid slab of heavy muscle who would "fail" a standard BMI test. but his body fat % is pretty low. that is a more important indicator. BMI is mainly for folks with standard builds, not muscle men. if you displayed a pic, it would be more readily knowable how close you are to your proper weight. if you don't have a double chin and a dunlap, that would be a good starting point.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 3:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

mike tyson is a solid slab of heavy muscle who would "fail" a standard BMI test. but his body fat % is pretty low. that is a more important indicator. BMI is mainly for folks with standard builds, not muscle men. if you displayed a pic, it would be more readily knowable how close you are to your proper weight. if you don't have a double chin and a dunlap, that would be a good starting point.

But didn’t Mike Tyson turn very fat after his boxing carrier? That might indicate having a huge amount of muscle mass might not be healthy.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 5:29 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Just random individuals that don't devote their life trying to make themselves big. Strong and fit in a realistic manner. Low body fat and a BMI of around 25 will make someone quite muscular and look "big".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 5:40 pm

Jamesy wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

But didn’t Mike Tyson turn very fat after his boxing carrier? That might indicate having a huge amount of muscle mass might not be healthy.

after he retired he let himself go for a while but now he is back to a large but fit state of body. muscle turns to flab if you don't use it and it shrinks eventually. moral of the story is that muscle burns calories only if you use 'em. best [according to the military] to not get too muscular but just keep toned the musculature you already have.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2022, 1:00 pm

Also, it years of strength training to get to the male physique we see in social media, movies, etc. Many guys have the expectation that if they work hard for a year, they'll reach a muscular physique, when in reality, it may take 5-7 years.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 5:49 am

I feel like it'd be better to judge healthy weight by a body condition score, like veterinarians do. Basically, what does your silhouette look like, and how does it compare on a 6-point scale from emaciated to morbidly obese? I don't know why we don't do the same in human medicine - it would be more accurate than BMI.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2022, 12:50 am

I lift weights a lot, pretty intensely, and sometimes I think I’m making progress. I’m getting older, and I can’t figure out what diet works best for making muscle while losing some body fat. I try to eat healthy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 1:11 am

^^^i believe you need more lean protein in the diet to support muscle-building. for energy that is non-carb, you can try MCT oil.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2022, 1:38 am

I’d never heard of MCT oil before. I had to give it a quick google search. I think it’s something that I should try.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 1:39 am

KeepWaiting wrote:
I’d never heard of MCT oil before. I had to give it a quick google search. I think it’s something that I should try.

there are some who mix it with coffee in the mornings.

KeepWaiting
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2022, 1:45 am

I saw that. A tablespoon or two in coffee should be easy enough to manage.