Ivermectin found to have "antiviral effect" with Covid virus

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:12 pm

Quote:
TOKYO, Jan 31 (Reuters) - Japanese trading and pharmaceutical company Kowa Co Ltd said on Monday anti-parasite drug ivermectin showed an “antiviral effect” against Omicron and other variants of coronavirus in joint non-clinical research.

Kowa did not provide further details. The firm has been working with Kitasato University, a medical university in Tokyo.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-japan-kowa/japans-kowa-says-ivermectin-effective-against-omicron-in-phase-iii-trial-idUSL1N2UB0AV
Press release and English "Auto-translated" version:

It will be interesting to see the results of the above study, as well as those of this trial which is nearing completion:
Quote:
University of Minnesota researchers expect to finish enrollment this week in the nation's first clinical trial of ivermectin to treat COVID-19, and the study's highly anticipated results could be only a month away.

The COVID-OUT study is reviewing three common drugs, including the antidepressant fluvoxamine and the diabetes treatment metformin, but gained attention for its inclusion of ivermectin. The controversial drug has been championed by opponents of COVID-19 vaccines, despite a warning from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that ivermectin is cleared only to treat parasitic infections, head lice and certain skin conditions.

Anti-inflammatory benefits of all three medications prompted the U study, which was delayed by slow enrollment over the summer until the delta and omicron waves of the pandemic emerged. Lead researcher Dr. Carolyn Bramante said the results will provide clinical guidance to doctors who are facing record pandemic cases and to the FDA about whether to authorize the drugs for treatment of COVID-19.

[...]

The U trial is enrolling 1,100 patients with COVID-19 to receive fluvoxamine and ivermectin, alone or in combination with metformin, or a nonmedicating placebo for comparison. The study is tracking whether patients taking the drugs for 14 days avoid hospitalization and maintain healthy blood oxygen levels.

Bramante said the drugs have potential to reduce excessive inflammation — a hallmark of some of the most severe and fatal COVID-19 cases.

Source: https://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-ivermectin-trial-nearing-completion/600139471/

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 3:14 pm

Gosh! I wonder if CNN will be reporting on this story. I'll go out on a limb and say no. But I'd like to be surprised.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 8:20 pm

Theoretically, there's a chance it can help, but that'll depend on binding energies. It inhibits 3CLpro, which coronaviruses use for replication. It also inhibits TMPRSS2, which SARS-CoV-2 uses for spike processing (S2 of the spike is cleaved by TMPRSS2). It might not inhibit both/either to an appreciable degree, but it might. Too much noise around it now. The potent inhibitor of TMPRSS2 (which is also a drug from Japan), Camostat, will be better than most things out there if given as early as possible as far as I can tell. That turned a 100% lethal challenge of SARS-CoV-2 in mice to a 30% fatality rate. Almost no human gets a guaranteed lethal dose of SARS-CoV-2.

Pfizer's drug inhibits 3CLpro. I'm sure that one binds better to SARS-CoV-2. Too bad almost no one can get it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 1:26 am

In case anyone decides to rush out and try Ivermectin

Ivermectin is known to cause mild side-effects such as diarrhoea, nausea, dizziness and sleepiness. Less common, but serious, side-effects include severe skin rashes and effects on the nervous system (causing tremor, confusion and drowsiness).

In higher doses (Like what Joe Rogan was recommending people take), and overdose cases, these side-effects can be more severe. These include low blood pressure, problems with balance, seizures, liver injury, and it can even induce comas.
https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/ ... pen-w.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 2:16 am

While supporters of Ivermectin use this to crow about how the mainstream media won't report on it's alleged benefits, said Ivermectin supporters still won't promote the Covid vaccine, which has been proven to be medically sound. On the contrary, they continue to vomit out-and-out lies about how the vaccine is supposedly dangerous.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 2:19 am

Man I'm going to laugh if this damn stuff ends up working after all, I mean I don't have a horse in the race either way, but the amount of crow the mainstream press and medical establishment would have to eat would be unprecedented.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 2:39 am

I think the right, with all it's phobias directed at science, is more interested in owning the libs (believers in science) than with establishing sound scientific and medical principals.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 2:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think the right, with all it's phobias directed at science, is more interested in owning the libs (believers in science) than with establishing sound scientific and medical principals.

And from this, we can all see that you have absolutely no understanding of "the right", instead projecting beliefs onto them which allow you another reason to attack them, rather than seeking an honest dialogue with them to gain a true understanding of their beliefs...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 2:58 am

Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And from this, we can all see that you have absolutely no understanding of "the right", instead projecting beliefs onto them which allow you another reason to attack them, rather than seeking an honest dialogue with them to gain a true understanding of their beliefs...

Really? The right wingers representing their movement come across as the lunatic fringe. I've heard little or nothing about wanting an "honest dialogue" about science, as it's such persons who don't trust or even believe in science. Maybe the rest of you on the right should be muzzling your wingnuts if you want the rest of us to take you seriously.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 4:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I've heard little or nothing about wanting an "honest dialogue" about science, as it's such persons who don't trust or even believe in science.

You have remarkably selective hearing, it took years for you to hear me telling you I wasn't a Republican, and even now it hasn't really taken.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 5:03 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I've heard little or nothing about wanting an "honest dialogue" about science, as it's such persons who don't trust or even believe in science.

You have remarkably selective hearing, it took years for you to hear me telling you I wasn't a Republican, and even now it hasn't really taken.

I never said you were a Republican, just that I disagree with many of your views.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 5:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Really? The right wingers representing their movement come across as the lunatic fringe. I've heard little or nothing about wanting an "honest dialogue" about science, as it's such persons who don't trust or even believe in science. Maybe the rest of you on the right should be muzzling your wingnuts if you want the rest of us to take you seriously.

Not sure why you assume I'm on the "right" - The right of yourself, perhaps:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=391333&p=8631421#p8631421

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 7:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I never said you were a Republican, just that I disagree with many of your views.

So, if I dig through the archives and find a post of you calling me a Republican, will you admit it was you and that you're incorrect, or will you employ the Joy Reid defense and claim the site was hacked?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 9:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
While supporters of Ivermectin use this to crow about how the mainstream media won't report on it's alleged benefits, said Ivermectin supporters still won't promote the Covid vaccine, which has been proven to be medically sound. On the contrary, they continue to vomit out-and-out lies about how the vaccine is supposedly dangerous.

Wrong. You can acknowledge the benefits of Ivermectin, and also acknowledge the benefits of vaccines.

Why do you always have to be so divisive with most of your comments? No need to answer, that was a rhetorical question.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 11:02 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
TOKYO, Jan 31 (Reuters) - Japanese trading and pharmaceutical company Kowa Co Ltd said on Monday anti-parasite drug ivermectin showed an “antiviral effect” against Omicron and other variants of coronavirus in joint non-clinical research.

Kowa did not provide further details. The firm has been working with Kitasato University, a medical university in Tokyo.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-japan-kowa/japans-kowa-says-ivermectin-effective-against-omicron-in-phase-iii-trial-idUSL1N2UB0AV

Note that this was a NON-CLINICAL study. As the Reuters story also says:

Quote:
Many potential COVID-19 treatments that showed promise in test tubes, including the antimalarial hydroxychloroquine promoted by former U.S. President Donald Trump, ultimately failed to show benefit for COVID-19 patients once studied in clinical trials.

You also mentioned an upcoming clinical study:

Brictoria wrote:
It will be interesting to see the results of the above study, as well as those of this trial which is nearing completion:
Quote:
University of Minnesota researchers expect to finish enrollment this week in the nation's first clinical trial of ivermectin to treat COVID-19, and the study's highly anticipated results could be only a month away.

The COVID-OUT study is reviewing three common drugs, including the antidepressant fluvoxamine and the diabetes treatment metformin, but gained attention for its inclusion of ivermectin. The controversial drug has been championed by opponents of COVID-19 vaccines, despite a warning from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that ivermectin is cleared only to treat parasitic infections, head lice and certain skin conditions.

Anti-inflammatory benefits of all three medications prompted the U study, which was delayed by slow enrollment over the summer until the delta and omicron waves of the pandemic emerged. Lead researcher Dr. Carolyn Bramante said the results will provide clinical guidance to doctors who are facing record pandemic cases and to the FDA about whether to authorize the drugs for treatment of COVID-19.

[...]

The U trial is enrolling 1,100 patients with COVID-19 to receive fluvoxamine and ivermectin, alone or in combination with metformin, or a nonmedicating placebo for comparison. The study is tracking whether patients taking the drugs for 14 days avoid hospitalization and maintain healthy blood oxygen levels.

Bramante said the drugs have potential to reduce excessive inflammation — a hallmark of some of the most severe and fatal COVID-19 cases.

Source: https://www.startribune.com/university-of-minnesota-ivermectin-trial-nearing-completion/600139471/

Yes this will be interesting to see.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2022, 11:36 am

Pharmaceutical company says drugs good. Doesn't explain how. Seems legit.

Now, sure, that' a lot of red flags in one article. Still, if an actual research team finds that it's worth taking - and not just "It's 0.0001% as effective as a vaccine!" levels - and the research is properly replicable and verifiable (ideally by a team in an unrelated country, because politics and because people are horrible), then OK. I'm not going to argue with independently checked medical research. Weird s**t crops up sometimes, regardless of prior assumptions. That's why testing exists.

At the moment, though, it's still in the "We have no idea if this is even remotely a good idea" stage. It's not even news. It's pure speculation. Once there's a concrete result, that might be news. Or not, depending on how the tests turn out.