Page 1 of 16 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 10:34 pm

She apologised and admitted her mistake, next. I would not want to work in television as I am first class at putting my foot in mouth.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 10:59 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
She apologised and admitted her mistake, next. I would not want to work in television as I am first class at putting my foot in mouth.

She certainly did wonders for the "neo nazi" movement with her initial claim that the Holocaust wasn't about race (because, to her, the Nazi's and the Jewish people are both "white") - To her, those people aren't racists, apparently.

Who'd have imagined that Whoopi Goldberg could become a person that "neo nazi's" could use\quote for support of their views...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 11:08 pm

What she said was dumb, suspending her for it is also dumb. Interesting to see some pushback on the "Jews are just another type of white people" view that's been voguish on the left recently, perhaps the tides are starting to turn.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:13 am

Dox47 wrote:
What she said was dumb, suspending her for it is also dumb. Interesting to see some pushback on the "Jews are just another type of white people" view that's been voguish on the left recently, perhaps the tides are starting to turn.

It's maybe worth considering the possibility that the suspension wasn't being done to punish her, but instead to try and protect the company (and show) from backlash\further bad publicity?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:14 am

Dox47 wrote:

Has it been voguish on the left? I haven't seen or heard it before.

I agree that what she said was dumb.

To me it means that all of us could use a little more education on how people divide themselves, and how different groups experience life. Racism can be subtle and insidious. People have been finding ways to superficially divide and tier themselves since the dawn of time. No one is immune.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 02 Feb 2022, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:15 am

Brictoria wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

It's maybe worth considering the possibility that the suspension wasn't being done to punish her, but instead to try and protect the company (and show) from backlash\further bad publicity?

Gives some time for the news cycle to move onto the next prey.

Generate controversy = get suspended. I think it's become the playbook.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:18 am

I just thought Nazism was about hating groups of people and wiping them out. When anyone has an ideology that would hurt certain groups or even cause them death, Nazi comes to mind.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:20 am

Dox47 wrote:

So Jewish people aren't white? What are they then? I thought white was because of our skin color. Had I been this literal all along? ?:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:23 am

Whoopi has nothing against Jews…..I promise you that.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:24 am

League_Girl wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

So Jewish people aren't white? What are they then? I thought white was because of our skin color. Had I been this literal all along? ?:

Skin color isn't the only way to define race, it's simply the most visible one.

"White" isn't a race.

Just like "black" isn't really a race, either. Except that white Europeans saw it as one and, thus, it became defining in western society.

The whole topic is far more complicated than my simplified summary, of course, and I'm not an expert. But I was very aware growing up back in the 60's/70's that Jews were considered a different race and often treated very differently from people with Christian European backgrounds. While Judaism is a faith, most Jews are also an historic group of people with a specific genetic lineage.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:46 am

DW_a_mom wrote:

Well, voguish does imply new, which implies young... sorry.

Jews are just the tip of the iceberg with this little project, have you heard terms like "white adjacent" or "white Hispanic"? The simple version is that woke theories of racism being such an overwhelming force in America that non-white people simply can't overcome it fail when they encounter successful non-white people, notably Asians, so rather than toss out the theory, they redefine the terms, considering Jews just another type of white people is part and parcel of that. That's also where we got the BIPOC acronym that replaced the older POC virtually overnight and with everyone pretending it had always been that way, BIPOC specifically excludes lighter skinned minorities who were inconveniencing the theory by being too successful in our white supremacist country. Neat, huh?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yup, she even changed her name from Caryn Johnson to something that sounded more Jewy, cause that's who controls Hollywood and all...

(she disputes that that's the reason, but the story has been around a long time)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:56 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Well, voguish does imply new, which implies young... sorry.

Jews are just the tip of the iceberg with this little project, have you heard terms like "white adjacent" or "white Hispanic"? The simple version is that woke theories of racism being such an overwhelming force in America that non-white people simply can't overcome it fail when they encounter successful non-white people, notably Asians, so rather than toss out the theory, they redefine the terms, considering Jews just another type of white people is part and parcel of that. That's also where we got the BIPOC acronym that replaced the older POC virtually overnight and with everyone pretending it had always been that way, BIPOC specifically excludes lighter skinned minorities who were inconveniencing the theory by being too successful in our white supremacist country. Neat, huh?

Does this help (from 2018, I believe)?
Quote:
Abstract: The “whiteness” of Jews has recently become a popular topic both in
public debates and in academic research (Critical Whiteness Studies). Within this
discourse, “whiteness” is used as a critical concept denoting those who enjoy
white privilege in American and other Western societies. However, attributing
“whiteness” to Jews is more than controversial, for it assimilates the most perse-
cuted minority in European history to the dominant majority, while downgrading
the significance of antisemitism. This is a necessary move in order to reaffirm and
critically address the fundamental nature of the black and white divide

Source: https://philpapers.org/archive/BERCWS.pdf

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Especially with that surname right?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 12:59 am

Sounds like a simple slip of the tongue. She's getting on in years and older people are in the habit of getting their wires crossed. The gist of her comment doesn't really sound anti-Jewish. I hardly expect the neo-Nazi movement would be glued to anything Whoopi Goldberg has to say :roll:

The two weeks for reflection are a good learning way she can reflect on taking more care with sensitive topics. She has over the years been a little clumsy on other issues as well. I agree with the suspension.