Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 11:10 pm

I think it would have to be an immersive sim. Of the big ones I think the newest and the slickest would be 2017 Prey, runners up being System Shock 2 and the original Deus Ex.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 2:12 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I think it would have to be an immersive sim. Of the big ones I think the newest and the slickest would be 2017 Prey, runners up being System Shock 2 and the original Deus Ex.

So I take it you haven't played Thief 2 yet?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 3:20 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

So I take it you haven't played Thief 2 yet?

Thief is not my cup of tea. I've seen video reviews. I liked Dishonored though. The sequel has a lot of problems AFAIK, so I didn't bother with it. It's true that artistic direction and theme does play a role for me in my choices, and quality of the implementation. Like for example I didn't bother with the original System Shock, but I do pay attention to the remakes to see if one is worthwhile.

When I was a teenager I'd play anything that moves on the screen. These days I'm very selective and don't feel the need (or obligation) to play just anything under the sun. Lack the time and motivation. I've got other related hobbies like homebrew computer hardware and porting games between systems.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 12:52 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Thief is not my cup of tea. I've seen video reviews.

Blasphemy!

Firlefanz
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2022, 4:44 am

My obsession is Titan Quest. Oldie but goodie and my best place to relax. I play through Steam.

She/her. German. Bilingual.

jkwon23
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2022, 5:44 pm

It's the game that I'm playing now --- Yakuza 4 Remastered

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 7:01 pm

rFactor

While it's not really my thing anymore, Doom probably still beats rFactor in terms of lifetime favourite. NHL 95 is another strong contender even though I haven't played more than a few hours since I turned 13.

I enjoyed Postal 2 for awhile because of combinations of actions the mechanics made possible.

I really got into Neverwinter Nights for many years.
I got into Star Wars Battlefront 2 around when it was new after stealing it from a job I hated. It's still enjoyable even though I don't really like Star Wars anymore.

Learning to 'competitively drive' as well as trying to mod Need For Speed Most Wanted is what convinced me I needed a sim instead of a racing game. I liked that game up until I couldn't ignore how poorly the physics modelled what driving a car is actually like. Actually, that's another one I acquired from Zellers. :lol:

Wonderboy The Dragon's Trap (and the remake) and a few of the 16 (and 8 ) bit Sonic games have pretty consistently gotten my attention, pretty much everything else has only held my interest for a few months to a few years.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jimbillyjoebob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2022, 3:31 pm

Yeah that's a hard one, but im just gonna go off my top 3

Titanfall 1/2

Left 4 Dead 2

Black Ops 2

maybe team fortress 2 but i haven't really spent enough time in that game yet but i had fun with the 3 hours i have on that game

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2022, 9:16 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Thief is not my cup of tea. I've seen video reviews.

Blasphemy!

Straight up I've never played Thief either and I haven't even seen gameplay footage, I just think being a thief isn't as interesting of a premise as uh unravelling an evil globalist conspiracy like in Deus Ex (and yes my knowledge of Thief goes no further than "probably you're a thief", I really should play those games though... I just don't play games for the most irrational of reasons)

Anyway I'm not sure what my favourite game is. I could list a bunch of Miyazaki games (Sekiro, DS3, DS1 and Bloodborne are all top tier) and I can't really think of anything else... I think Dark Souls is the game that really brought me back to games, there was a period starting around 2006 where games started being homogenised and bad trends were coming in full force (remember cover shooters?) and fewer interesting games came out. Dark Souls was like a reminder of how cool games can be. So maybe that.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 9:28 pm

1. Pokémon
2. Legacy of Kain
3. Fire Emblem Fates
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Tachyon: the Fringe

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:08 am

arekks wrote:
Straight up I've never played Thief either and I haven't even seen gameplay footage, I just think being a thief isn't as interesting of a premise as uh unravelling an evil globalist conspiracy like in Deus Ex (and yes my knowledge of Thief goes no further than "probably you're a thief", I really should play those games though... I just don't play games for the most irrational of reasons)

It's a lot like Deus Ex, except being stealthy and non-lethal is the main point of the game, and not just something you can kind of do sometimes. And it's all steampunk themed instead of post-apocalyptic future.
But on the easier skill settings you can go on murder rampages if you want to.
The level order is more linear than Deus Ex, but the missions themselves are completely non-linear.
Thief 3 does have more of a city/hub system like Deus Ex, but from what I remember the missions still had to be completed in a specific order.

And you do unravel your fair share of conspiracies, much to the dismay of your character, who just wants to make a little extra cash to pay the rent and doesn't particularly want to save the world from disaster.

If you do check them out, I would recommend starting with Thief 3 (and make sure you patch it). It was kind of a disappointing sequel to one of the greatest games ever made, but it was really geared towards being something newcomers and/or console players could get into, and I think they did a pretty okay job there. Some of the AI improvements were pretty good, though, and the story was alright.

Thief 1 was alright, but they weren't sure people were ready for a stealth-centric game, so there's a lot of action bits and some murder in there. Thief Gold, IMO, adds some pretty frustrating missions that I could live without.
Also, vanilla Thief 1 is pretty ugly if that's something that bothers you. There are fan patches that replace most of the graphics with Thief 2 versions.

I can't comment on Thief 4, I have no interest in that one.

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2022, 4:22 pm

Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy Tactics. Back in the days where JRPGs were the complete operatic package. X has the better world building, Tactics a better story for the political plot, both with great soundtracks and above average battle systems. They also tackle religious issues, which I've come to be fascinated with as I've grown older. I get the most mileage from the original Spyro trilogy. Great platforms, simple yet well-paced and balanced between standard gameplay and variation.

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2022, 2:30 pm

I like a few games, I've been playing COD Zombies since WaW and like modded maps for that game and Black Ops 3. I like Cube 2 Sauerbraten which is a FPS Arena shooter type game I have been playing since 2011. I also like Counter Strike games and have a few thousand hours in them. And Minecraft but I have moved to MineTest and playing Mineclone5 on it as I dislike microsoft owning it and changes that they are doing to the game.

oklol123
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2022, 1:36 pm

a tie between skyrim and minecraft

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:27 am

The classic Resident Evil games.

EdWalker
Emu Egg