Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 6:02 am

ahayes wrote:
By your definition telemarketing is spam, yet people still refer to it as telemarketing. One thus must conclude that spam is defined by its medium, and that medium is email. Because advertisments took on a form similar to that found in spam through im's,newsgroups, forums, etc, people bagan calling it spam, but just because people have applied the term incorrectly doesn't mean the meaning of the term has changed.

Hmmm. Interesting point. Telemarketing is spam, if you talk about spam's commercial application. That was a very good point raised there. But it does not change my definition of BBS spamming.

On sabbatical...

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 6:13 am

Quatermass wrote:
ahayes wrote:
By your definition telemarketing is spam, yet people still refer to it as telemarketing. One thus must conclude that spam is defined by its medium, and that medium is email. Because advertisments took on a form similar to that found in spam through im's,newsgroups, forums, etc, people bagan calling it spam, but just because people have applied the term incorrectly doesn't mean the meaning of the term has changed.

Hmmm. Interesting point. Telemarketing is spam, if you talk about spam's commercial application. That was a very good point raised there. But it does not change my definition of BBS spamming.

Then you're just wrong.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 6:18 am

ahayes wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
ahayes wrote:

Then you're just wrong.

I'll let the matter drop. And be careful staring into the Untempered Schism ahayes. God, I can't wait to watch that Doctor Who episode....

On sabbatical...

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 9:23 am

I think they should come up with a different name for this type of "Spam'' as to eliminate all the confusion. Maybe they should call it Smeat.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:29 am

I'll join. :mrgreen:

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:37 am

www.gamespot.com

Trigger11
Veteran