Saving money doesn't make you wealthy

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2022, 10:10 am

Of course, saving is necessary, it's good to have an emergency fund, a retirement and live below your means. But that's only a minority of where successful people make their money.

If you save money for 20-30 years, with compounding interest, and have a million in your bank account, you could have $50k of residual income. Except, that 50k decades from now, will be worth like 8-10k. Which is not really much more than what you're saving each year.

The way people get wealthy is by increasing their income. Investing in their career, education/skills/certification, business, side hustles, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:13 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
. . . The way people get wealthy is by increasing their income. Investing in their career, education/skills/certification, business, side hustles, etc.
A.K.A., "Capitalism".

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 10:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Minervx_2 wrote:
. . . The way people get wealthy is by increasing their income. Investing in their career, education/skills/certification, business, side hustles, etc.
A.K.A., "Capitalism".

Indeed.

A good friend said something to me many years ago that really stood out:

"People don't make their money at their jobs."

Basically, anyone who has self made wealth only earned their investment capital at their job.. and then invested it wisely into a variety of things that made them a lot more money. Stocks, real estate, gold/silver, ctypto - whatever - their wealth is built from investing their savings.. not from just saving money.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 7:43 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Minervx_2 wrote:
A.K.A., "Capitalism".
Indeed.  A good friend said something to me many years ago that really stood out:

"People don't make their money at their jobs."

Basically, anyone who has self made wealth only earned their investment capital at their job.. and then invested it wisely into a variety of things that made them a lot more money. . .
↑ This.

People cannot just walk into a stockbroker's office without a penny to their names and expect the broker to assign even one share of a depleted penny stock to their portfolios, even if it was possible to get wealthy off a single share of penny stock -- it is just not going to happen.

It is like expecting a bumper crop when only one tiny seed has been planted.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 1:13 am

"Saving" makes me think of putting funds into the bank where a "high interest" account pays on average 1% interest, at a time when inflation is around 2.5%. In other words you're still going backwards and to add insult to injury the govt taxes you on the 1% you earn.

"Investing" is using resources to purchase a holding stake in assets that will go up in value in the future more than inflation. Some investments are low risk such as cash funds, low risk of loss of capital, low earnings. Shares bring with them higher volatility but also higher returns. In major capital cities in Australia property has doubled in value every 7 or 8 years during my lifetime.

The big thing I have learned from watching other people and their behaviours is that for most part their expenditure equals or is sometimes even higher than their earnings. Get a promotion at work, buy an expensive car. Get their next salary increment and buy some big ticket rapidly depreciating toy. Strike it really lucky and it's a big boat to park in their driveway (that they never use) and a 5 star overseas holiday and just like that the money is gone. Rapidly depreciating stuff to make them feel "rich". Don't even get me started on personal loans and other forms of high cost unsecured finance.

Minervx_2 you mentioned two very important principles. Live below your means and invest in the future. Spend less than you earn is a surprisingly easy one, people have money in their wallets and just have to blow it. It's not hard to just spend what you need and leave the rest of the money where it is. Investing in your future includes learning skills that will make you more valuable, tools and equipment you will use to earn money. Excess funds are easily funneled into assets, assets being things that will increase in value over time.

You're right, saving alone won't make you wealthy unless you already have mega millions and can just live off bank interest. Buying and holding appreciating assets is the goose that keeps laying golden eggs, both the goose and it's dividends are the things that will continue to earn for you day in and day out, whether you choose to work or not.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 12:40 pm

Basic 'conventional' saving (in a deposit account) made some sense for most of the period 1982-2008. During that time, in the UK and no doubt in many other parts of the world, interest rates were generally higher than the level of inflation, so your money at least kept or increased its value. Then we had the great financial crisis, and things have never looked like going back to those days. Right now we have inflation officially at 5%-6% (in reality far higher for many ordinary people), with savings rates still barely over 1%. Scandalous.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 6:16 am

Money needs to be spent of stocks, starting a company or buying property. It's hard to do it any other way.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 6:57 pm

Bank account interest does not pay more to offset inflation anymore so just savings just for savings sake is a losing proposition but you do need emergency fund but if you put a good chunk of money into the stock market for retirement you will prolly be a millionaire at retirement

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:35 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:
Of course, saving is necessary, it's good to have an emergency fund, a retirement and live below your means. But that's only a minority of where successful people make their money.

If you save money for 20-30 years, with compounding interest, and have a million in your bank account, you could have $50k of residual income. Except, that 50k decades from now, will be worth like 8-10k. Which is not really much more than what you're saving each year.

The way people get wealthy is by increasing their income. Investing in their career, education/skills/certification, business, side hustles, etc.

People traditionally become rich by being a business owner or starting a company and use their income to buy assets like franchises oil wells apartment buildings and real estate and other stuff like that that they use to get mailbox money a lot of rich people in invest in dividend paying stock which is stock that pays you cash for owning it rich dad poor dad by Robert kiyosaki explains it

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm

most of us can't catch the next big IPO, the next best thing is to buy low on a dividend-paying stock or stock fun, then hold it through thick and thin, and buy more on the dips.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 12:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
most of us can't catch the next big IPO, the next best thing is to buy low on a dividend-paying stock or stock fun, then hold it through thick and thin, and buy more on the dips.

Exactly very wise my friend I bought some Disney this evening and I may buy some more Starbucks stock on the dip I always love apple on the dip and index funds I love dividend kings the luckiest I got was buying Walmart in the nineties and holding onto it alll these decades with parents my dad had Amazon but he sold it a long time ago so he got really unlucky that time

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:59 pm

What do people here think about private equity funds? I've been putting some money into these (Pantheon International and Harbourvest Global) over the past year or so, and they've been steadily rising in value. Will it still be party time in this area for the foreseeable future, I wonder?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 6:43 pm

DeepHour wrote:
What do people here think about private equity funds? I've been putting some money into these (Pantheon International and Harbourvest Global) over the past year or so, and they've been steadily rising in value. Will it still be party time in this area for the foreseeable future, I wonder?

Most of the time they underperform a broad based index fund

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2022, 12:58 pm

Improving career and increasing income is also better for investing. A person making 80k a year investing 1/3 of their income in an index fund will make more money than most people making 40k year and putting 1/3 of their income into stocks, crypto, etc.

The time it takes to micromanage stocks, cryptos, other assets, stay up to date in news and technical analysis (which btw, are likely already priced into the market) is time that could be spent developing skills or advancing career instead.

For people who don't have a lot of assets, it's not worth the time to micromanage assets. It would essentially come out to less than minimum, the amount of money you gain for how much time you invest in it.