Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Apathetic
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2022, 10:58 am

I'm working on something kind of big, am wondering if anyone else is up for working with me to help change things for the autistic community,mainly in terms of like in terms of finding out what causes autism and how to fix it for the sake of saving my own ass, not just getting paid to research like these other places publishing research reports because they are paid to publish something. Is anyone game to work with me to tag along with some ideas for getting into the root of the problem?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 11:04 am

Apathetic wrote:
I'm working on something kind of big, am wondering if anyone else is up for working with me to help change things for the autistic community, mainly in terms of like in terms of finding out what causes autism and how to fix it for the sake of saving my own ass, not just getting paid to research like these other places publishing research reports because they are paid to publish something. Is anyone game to work with me to tag along with some ideas for getting into the root of the problem?
A few questions before I consider your request:

• What is your experience in the field of autism research?

• What are your credentials (i.e., degrees in neuroscience, psychiatry, psychology, et cetera)?

• Would people in your group get paid for their participation?

• Would people in your group be expected to pay for their participation?

• Why would you want to 'fix' autism, when doing so could endanger an autistic person's identity?

Apathetic
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2022, 11:09 am

No credentials, just the right special interests for topics to research, as for what you get is something on the back end for better treatment when your kids need healthcare or something if we all bond together.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 11:16 am

Apathetic wrote:
No credentials . . .
In that case, I respectfully decline your request.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 11:22 am

Apathetic wrote:
mainly in terms of like in terms of finding out what causes autism and how to fix it for the sake of saving my own ass,

Biting off more than you can chew.
People have been trying to 'fix' autism for decades.
That's very ambitious of you.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 11:29 am

There’s plenty of groups on the internet aimed at improving cognitive ability

No offense but not sure how you with no access to scientific credentials or apparatus and licensing will succeed where others with this and millions in funding failed.

Your best bet is to help form a cure autism lobby group as an alternative to ND.

Maybe write to your local political representative

- George Bernie Shaw

Apathetic
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2022, 2:08 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Apathetic wrote:
mainly in terms of like in terms of finding out what causes autism and how to fix it for the sake of saving my own ass,

Biting off more than you can chew.
People have been trying to 'fix' autism for decades.
That's very ambitious of you.

I managed to get to the root of what causes autism, but the difference between me and them is I research for the purpose of my own survival, they research for a paycheck.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 2:23 pm

Apathetic wrote:
. . . the difference between me and them is I research for the purpose of my own survival, they research for a paycheck.
The "Noble Poor" argument, eh?

Irrelevant.

The difference between you and they is that you are not trained in the appropriate sciences and they are.

THAT is why they have greater credibility, and also why they are paid for their research.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 2:31 pm

What is "the root of what causes autism?"

I say there are many "roots," rather than just one "root."

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 10:36 pm

Apathetic wrote:
I managed to get to the root of what causes autism

So can you tell us your answer? What is the root?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 7:45 pm

I was interested initially, till I read that you want to "fix" autism. I respect individual experiences of autism and those who find it hard going, but I have no desire to change or fix who I am. I prefer to work with it, not against it. I've always been a glass half full person.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 8:26 pm

Juliette wrote:
I was interested initially, till I read that you want to "fix" autism. I respect individual experiences of autism and those who find it hard going, but I have no desire to change or fix who I am. I prefer to work with it, not against it. I've always been a glass half full person.

Well, as long as nobody is "forced" to take that cure, it won't be as much of an issue. Because the autistics that don't want it won't come and the ones that come apparently want it.

Although I do see a problem. Since an autistic doesn't know what it is to be an NT they might not know what they are asking for. So they might have regrets after said cure is done.

So I guess they should work on both cure and cure-reversal to take care of situations like these. Although I can see that cure-reversal research probably won't get that much function. So that would be a problem then.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:02 pm

^ I appreciate what you're saying QFT, but some of us have no interest whatsoever in "cure" at all.

(I say this as someone who became mute after the age of 5yrs, and who went undiagnosed due to her Mother's death.) I had no choice but to make the best of whatever life threw at me, and some of that was seriously damaging.

Sometimes, survival depends upon our very natures eg. whether or not we can maintain a positive outlook in spite of it all.

Note: I am no longer mute.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:27 pm

Juliette wrote:
^ I appreciate what you're saying QFT, but some of us have no interest whatsoever in "cure" at all.

Some is the key word here. So the ones that don't want a cure don't have to get one. How would others getting a cure hurt them if they choose not to?

I personally don't want a cure either. But I don't see how it would affect me if others get it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 4:37 pm

Apathetic wrote:
I managed to get to the root of what causes autism.

So, what do you believe to be this "root"?

If indeed there is no money involved, you should have no problem with telling us?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:50 am

QFT wrote:
Juliette wrote:

Well, as long as nobody is "forced" to take that cure, it won't be as much of an issue. Because the autistics that don't want it won't come and the ones that come apparently want it.

Although I do see a problem. Since an autistic doesn't know what it is to be an NT they might not know what they are asking for. So they might have regrets after said cure is done.

So I guess they should work on both cure and cure-reversal to take care of situations like these. Although I can see that cure-reversal research probably won't get that much function. So that would be a problem then.

In a perfect world it should be a matter of free choice, in the real one, even the cure is not mandated by the government(unlike the COVID vaccine), private businesses will make taking it a requirement for employment, insurance companies either won't cover you, or your rates will be much higher. Of course, children will have no choice.

There would be no willingness to fund benefits or give accommodations for people who chose to be that way. Autism is not a spreadable disease there would be no selfish reasons to help autistics. As for the ND/Autistic rights movement, it will become increasingly irrelevant as the number of autistic people shrinks and shrinks. Investing in improving Autistic people's lives will become be like Microsoft investing in Windows 95, no reason to invest in something whose time has gone by.

Autism will not disappear completely, there are always be contrarians but the holdouts will be ignored or become a morbid curiosities.

We would find out how much of the NT tolerance and acceptance of the last few years was really tolerance and acceptance or making the best out of a bad situation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman