Iowa Bill Introduced to Allow Parental Spying In Classrooms.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 11:39 am

• A bill introduced by Iowa Rep. Norlin Mommsen, R-DeWitt, proposes putting cameras in public school classrooms, with exceptions for physical education and special education classrooms.

• The bill generated national media attention, including from NBC news, The Hill, Mother Jones, and others.

• Similar bills have been introduced in other states, including Florida.

Source:
 Iowa House File 2177 - Introduced 

I have to wonder if surveillance of this nature would be abused, even though PhysEd and SpecEd classrooms would be exempt from surveillance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 11:55 am

I don't like this idea at all....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 12:08 pm

The bill provides for:

• Live video coverage of each classroom (but makes no mention of audio).

• Access for parents or legal guardians only (but makes no mention of teachers or administrators).

• Penalties for intentionally obstructing, disconnecting, or otherwise interfering with the cameras.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 12:11 pm

They already do this on school buses and have been for years.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 12:16 pm

While I understand the situation, I do not perceive a problem, even if voted into law.

The bill will likely get defeated in session once all the omissions and oversights have been pointed out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 5:07 pm

I am fortunate that, when I was a kid, I could take a walk anywhere, explore places, without having to call my parents every time I make a move. As long as I got back home in time for dinner.

If this law goes into effect, this would mean that the parent can watch a kid's every move. If parents are able to do that, I believe this stymies their growth and stifles their independence.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 5:17 pm

Parents got a whiff of what their children were actually being taught during the pandemic, and now they no longer trust the teachers not to indoctrinate their kids. I don't like the idea of cameras in the classroom for a variety of reasons, but this is a mess the teachers made for themselves.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 5:26 pm

There's "indoctrination" all along the political spectrum.

I'm fortunate that I had the ability to think for myself----even when I was a young kid.

I tended to believe in what the more "liberal" teachers were teaching; I don't feel they were overtly seeking to "indoctrinate" me. In my heart, I believed in what they were saying. There really weren't many teachers I encountered, till college, who were "conservative." Though, come to think of it, there were some teachers who were "all about discipline," and probably conservative in mindset.

There were a few overly "liberal" professors in my college---and a few overly "conservative" professors as well. Most instructors, though, were able to keep their political beliefs out of their classrooms.

My wife had an adjunct instructor who gave her a bad grade because her paper did not reflect his political beliefs. This professor was rather Marxist in his presentation, by the way. I feel this is an absolute travesty. This instructor does not belong in the role of teaching anybody. There's no place for this sort of nonsense.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 09 Feb 2022, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 5:28 pm

On the plus side, teachers will no longer have to deal with Karens who think their kid can do no wrong. And kids will behave more knowing their parents are watching.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 10:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I tended to believe in what the more "liberal" teachers were teaching; I don't feel they were overtly seeking to "indoctrinate" me.

I don't know if you've noticed, but liberals today are a bit different than the type you grew up with.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 12:02 am

League_Girl wrote:
On the plus side, teachers will no longer have to deal with Karens who think their kid can do no wrong. And kids will behave more knowing their parents are watching.

Unfortunately these helicopter parents will scrutinise the teacher regardless of politics. It will become "you spent 15 minutes ignoring my child. You favoured that other child. You rolled your eyes. You checked your phone. You arrived 10 seconds late. You didn't read the note I sent".

I can't believe teachers' unions want to be open to that kind of crap.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:24 pm

On the one hand, this is a good means of holding teachers accountable for mistreating children, as well as give parents insight into the day-to-day goings-on at their children's schools.

On the other, it can be a tool for helicopter parents to scrutinize teachers unfairly and nitpick every little thing they do. It also means abused kids will have to deal with knowing that their parents can watch their every move even when not at home.

So I am torn.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:36 pm

Considering all the stories I've heard about kids, especially autistic ones, being bullied and abused by teachers and classmates, I'm not so sure it's a bad idea. What should a classroom have to hide?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 3:29 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Unfortunately these helicopter parents will scrutinise the teacher regardless of politics. It will become "you spent 15 minutes ignoring my child. You favoured that other child. You rolled your eyes. You checked your phone. You arrived 10 seconds late. You didn't read the note I sent".

Bingo.

Blue_Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2022, 3:38 pm

NTSH. Went to delete post, but even tho it confirmed, the post's still here. So... text removed.

Last edited by Blue_Star on 10 Feb 2022, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 3:44 pm

Let's say the class has 30 students. That means one teacher is subject to scrutiny by 30 parents / guardians, up to 60 viewers if double parent / guardian families, not to mention possible step-parents and work colleagues / friends who will watch over these people's shoulder and add their two-cents worth. Plus the potential for these people to livestream it to social media without consent.

That means one teacher who is already trying to meet the diverse needs of 30 children at a time is supposed to be open to scrutiny by 60+ potential adults who are each biased toward one child's treatment at the expense of all others. Don't forget that teachers in high school teach rotary classes, meaning they could have 6 classes of 30 students (180 kids) per day.

Do the math.

I can see it MAYBE in special ed., with a very small group of students who stay with their teacher all day. Those classes normally have assistants as well.

Maybe.