A US Trucker Convoy To Washington DC Will Begin On March 4th

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 7:33 pm

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/09/u-s-trucker-convoy-to-washington-gathers-steam-00007135

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 7:52 pm

DHS warns that trucker protests in U.S. could begin on Super Bowl Sunday

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security is warning law enforcement and public safety officials in the United States that a prolonged trucker convoy protesting vaccine mandates could begin on Feb. 13, when the Super Bowl is played in Los Angeles.

The warning of a trucker protest similar to the one that has brought Ottawa, Canada, to a virtual halt, states that “the convoy could severely disrupt transportation, federal government, and law enforcement operations through gridlock and potential counterprotests.”

According to senior law enforcement officials and documents obtained by Yahoo News, the warning circulated to law enforcement nationwide on Tuesday by DHS states that the agency “has received reports of a convoy of truckers planning to potentially block roads in major metropolitan cities in the United States in protest of, among other things, vaccine mandates for truck drivers.”

The DHS alert says that “the group intends to start in California as early as mid-February and travel to Washington, D.C., as late as mid-March, reportedly gathering truckers as they travel across the country,” adding that truckers from the protest in Ottawa may also head to Washington to participate.

The DHS document, which is marked unclassified and for official use only, notes that as of its release on Feb. 8, the U.S. trucker convoy “appears to be purely aspirational because the event is only being discussed online,” though it warns that “this could change quickly.”

A DHS source told Yahoo News that the U.S. trucker convoy “is absolutely a real concern."

"They are definitely going to follow the Canadian model and shut down Washington,” said the DHS official, referring to the massive demonstrations that have drawn hundreds of truckers and others to Ottawa since last week, disrupting traffic throughout the Canadian capital and prompting the mayor to declare a state of emergency.

The DHS official said that a variety of U.S. law enforcement agencies were conducting calls and planning sessions to “figure out what to do” in the event that Washington is similarly brought to a standstill — which, the official said, is a “a real possibility.”

“At this time, we have no indication that individuals discussing participating in these activities in the United States are engaged in anything other than First Amendment–protected activity,” the DHS alert dated Feb. 8 states. “Nonetheless, DHS remains concerned that these events could have significant public safety implications or potentially be exploited by ideologically motivated actors to potentially act or encourage others to act violently.”

A DHS spokesperson gave Yahoo News this statement: “DHS is tracking reports of a potential convoy that may be planning to travel to several U.S. cities. We have not observed specific calls for violence within the United States associated with this convoy, and are working closely with our federal, state, and local partners to continuously assess the threat environment and keep our communities safe. DHS will continue to share timely and actionable information with the public.”

Another federal law enforcement official who is involved in aspects of the planning ahead of a possible U.S. convoy told Yahoo News: “We are tracking this like it’s a real threat because we think it has the potential to cause all kinds of problems, violent or otherwise.”

“We don’t want a lot of angry people storming D.C., we’ve seen that before,” the law enforcement official said. “So for now, we monitor movements and see who these people are, if they pose a threat not just to D.C. but of course to anywhere else along the way.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 7:56 pm

Are they protesting the high costs of fuel by wasting fuel?

Makes about as much sense as any right-wing thing lately...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:10 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
Are they protesting the high costs of fuel by wasting fuel?

You make it sound like the "climate change" protesters who block traffic, causing an increase in CO2 (and other gasses) over what would normally be produced as a result of the vehicles being prevented from moving (many drivers leave their engines running in such circumstances so they are ready to move once the blockage is removed, and in most cases they aren't even aware of what has caused the road to be blocked - only front few vehicles see the protest, whilst those behind just see the stationary vehicles in front of them).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:23 pm

Two wrongs don't make a right....

I don't believe in "leftists" blocking traffic; I don't believe in "rightists" blocking traffic. I don't believe in "centrists" blocking traffic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:24 pm

Let's see how long all those trucks keep traffic in the nation's capitol at a stand still is tolerated. And considering how the Biden administration is rightfully gun shy about right wing demonstrations turning into violent mobs, I suspect it won't be tolerated for long, and rightfully so.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:29 pm

Hah, if this actually turns into something, I'll happily eat the hypocrisy charge just to watch all the liberals try and weasel their way out of the "protests are supposed to be disruptive", "riots are the voice of the disenfranchised" type rhetoric they've been using all these years, it'll be hilarious.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:31 pm

It just might be a useless exercise, anyway.

Many of the restrictions just might be eased or be totally dispensed with-----probably within a couple of months.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Hah, if this actually turns into something, I'll happily eat the hypocrisy charge just to watch all the liberals try and weasel their way out of the "protests are supposed to be disruptive", "riots are the voice of the disenfranchised" type rhetoric they've been using all these years, it'll be hilarious.

Wasn't much disenfranchised about the Capitol rioters, unless you buy into their argument that middle class white men are discriminated against.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:42 pm

Hopefully someone will have a camera to get a photo of all the flags and swastikas this time. Fence is up? Nancy letting the national guard attend? Where is the FBI? I read escalating by the hour from CNN....checks notes ...for a March 4 start. Are they going to open the door his time, what about the video cameras, on or off? Where is the dude with the horns, I read if he bangs the gavel three times, then declares Trump ruler, it'll be a autocracy. :D

Last edited by txfz1 on 09 Feb 2022, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 8:47 pm

Dox47 wrote:

You mean something like this?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 10:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Wasn't much disenfranchised about the Capitol rioters, unless you buy into their argument that middle class white men are discriminated against.

Wow, another complete non-sequitur having no relationship to what I actually said.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 10:25 pm

Brictoria wrote:
You mean something like this?

Yup, exactly like that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 10:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Wow, another complete non-sequitur having no relationship to what I actually said.

I'm commenting on the motivation of the demonstrators

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 11:08 pm

March 4th happens to be the Inauguration Day before it became January 20th.

It was claimed, previously, that Trump will regain the Presidency March 4th, 2021.

I feel there should be vigilance when it comes to monitoring some of these people.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 11:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm commenting on the motivation of the demonstrators

Given we're talking about a current protest, starting a statement in the past tense was a rather obvious demonstration of the fact you were launching yet another non-sequitur.

As the convoy which is being discussed hasn't reached the capitol (from the article: "It is unclear if, or when, the U.S. convoy will reach Washington") depite your talking about them being there, the attempted backtracking is rather weak.

As an aside, the least reliable person to discuss the "motivations" of a group is someone like yourself who has expressed open hostility to the group and its members...